British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie B

Sgp New Format Idea

16 rider is fine but perhaps point scoring should be altered slightly ,think semi-finalists should be awarding some more points for qualifying even if they finish last .Certainly been a good series this season apart from the usual gate and go tracks.

Yes, this is something that I thought might be a good change, rewarding success, i.e. making the semis, will / should make you try just that little bit harder in the 1st 20 heats, knowing you can get extra points for making the semis. Discuss

I think looking to other sports can _sometimes_ help. For example, the cycling Tour Of Spain awards time bonuses for stage wins which The Tour de France no longer does - these bonuses really make the whole race much more open and exciting.

I think once you have what you deem to be a winning formula (and I admit there are probably still plenty of punters who may not be happy with he SGP formula), then you have to be a bit careful with "tinkering", so I agree with a previous post re expanding the football Euros competition as not necessarily a good idea - it's a good little tight tourney, every game maters (near enough), and no 3rd/4th place play-off.

Edited by davidncohen

Still think it's a pity that the speedway world championship can't be raced for all in one season, so many qualifiers then so many actual rounds, all beginning in March. Qualifiers would be just as exciting as rounds, perhaps more so. But that's me and not the way of the FIM and BSI :(

God Almighty, it would be great to have TWENTY FOUR riders to pay for (and 23 to absent themselves from league racing because they're "overworked")

The resultant tickets prices would guarantee Cardiff would be packed to the rafters... with a crowd the size of the Itralian GP.

How did it work then when there actually were 24 riders in the SGP for a number of years?