British Speedway Forum
PElford

Help With Filling In Some Crayford Home Programmes From 1976

Hi Steve

I'm halfway through my 1977 Crayford home programmes, and I'm glad to say that I filled most of these in at the meetings.

However, I have blank heat details for Crayford v Coatbridge on 28th June 1977 and Crayford v Workington on 2nd August 1977.

I don't think the Kestrels hit the 65 or 63 mark as referred to above!

No hurry at all, but if you do have the information and the time to list the heat details etc, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Paul

Hi Paul

Leave these with me. I will post the details on the forum during the week.

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Paul

Here's the first

Crayford 54- Colin Gooddy 12, Alan Sage 10, Garry May 10, Laurie Etheridge 7, Richard Davey 6, Alan Johns 5, John Hooper 4

Coatbridge 23 - Mick McKeon 6, Grahame Dawson 6, Merv Janke 4, Derek Richardson 3, Benny Rourke 3, Brian Collins 1, Jim Gallacher 0

Ht 01: May, Etheridge, Collins, Janke (f) 61.4 (5-1)

Ht 02: Hooper, Davey, Rourke, Gallacher 63.6 (10-2)

Ht 03: Sage, Richardson, McKeon, Johns (f exc) 60.8 (13-5)

Ht 04: Gooddy, Davey, Dawson, Rourke 62.4 (18-6)

Ht 05: Johns, Sage, Janke, Collins 61.0 (23-7)

Ht 06: May, Etheridge, Dawson, Gallacher 62.6 (28-8)

Ht 07: Gooddy, Davey, McKeon, Richardson 62.0 (33-9)

Ht 08: May, Rourke, Janke, Hooper (f exc) 61.8 (36-12)

Ht 09: Sage, Johns, Dawson, McKeon 60.4 (41-13)

Ht 10: Etheridge, McKeon, May, Richardson (f) 61.8 (45-15)

Ht 11: Gooddy, Janke, Hooper, Collins 62.0 (49-17)

Ht 12: Dawson, McKeon, Johns (f), Etheridge (ret) 61.6 (49-22)

Ht 13: Gooddy, Sage, Richardson, Rourke 61.4 (54-23)

Workington details to follow soon.

Crayford 56 - Vic Harding 12, Alan Sage 12, Laurie Etheridge 9, Colin Gooddy 8, John Hooper 6, Alan Johns 6, Richard Davey 3

Workington 22 - Mick Newton 8, Brian Havelock 5, Steve Lawson 5, Chris Bevan 2, Andy Reid 2, Ian Hindle 0, Roger Wright 0 Rider Replacement for Colin Goad ?

Ht 01: Harding, Etheridge, Lawson, Wright 59.4 (5-1)

Ht 02: Hooper, Davey, Reid, Newton (f exc) 62.2 (10-2)

Ht 03: Sage, Johns, Newton, Hindle (ret), Lawson (exc delaying start) 60.2 (15-3)

Ht 04: Gooddy, Newton, Hooper, Havelock 61.6 (19-5)

Ht 05: Sage, Lawson, Johns, Wright 59.4 (23-7)

Ht 06: Harding, Etheridge, Havelock, Reid 60.2 (28-8)

Ht 07: Newton, Hooper, Bevan, Gooddy (exc) 60.8 (30-12)

Ht 08: Harding, Lawson, Davey, Wright 60.2 (34-14)

Ht 09: Sage, Havelock, Johns, Reid 60.2 (38-16)

Ht 10: Harding, Etheridge, Newton, Bevan 60.4 (43-17)

Ht 11: Gooddy, Havelock, Newton, Davey, Lawson (exc tapes) 60.6 (46-20)

Ht 12: Etheridge, Johns, Bevan, Havelock (f rem, lapped) 60.4 (51-21)

Ht 13: Sage, Gooddy, Reid, Lawson 60.0 (56-22)

All done !

Steve

Edited by steve19620

Steve

Many thanks for all your help with the scores over the past few weeks. Thanks to you all my Crayford speedway programmes are now

filled in.

I have the odd programme missing between 1975-1977 so I will try and pick these up on somewhere like ebay. I might give you a further

shout if any of these have not been filled in.

Finally, I would like to support and echo the views of the White Knight at message 11 above and say what a great credit you are to this

forum.

Best Wishes

Paul

Steve

Many thanks for all your help with the scores over the past few weeks. Thanks to you all my Crayford speedway programmes are now

filled in.

I have the odd programme missing between 1975-1977 so I will try and pick these up on somewhere like ebay. I might give you a further

shout if any of these have not been filled in.

Finally, I would like to support and echo the views of the White Knight at message 11 above and say what a great credit you are to this

forum.

Best Wishes

Paul

Thank you for your kind words.

Just let me know if you need any more heat results in the future.

Steve

Hi Steve

I've just gone to fill in the heat details for the Workington match in 1977, and noticed that on the back of every

subsequent programme right up to the end of the season, the score is recorded as 50-28. Your scores do add

up to 56-22 and virtually all the riders you have listed were printed in the programme. I suspect that there was

a printing error in the programme which was subsequently never picked up. I was wondering if you could double

check your source to see if the result was changed based on some sort of appeal? However, I suspect the

programme printed the wrong score in the first instance.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul.

The result of 56-22 is definitely correct, the information has been taken from the Speedway Star and can be confirmed by my own records (and the 1978 Speedway yearbook which covers the 1977 season)

Steve.

This thread is better than Speedway Updates - any chance of posting each race result, starting at about 7.37-ish each evening and then every five minutes or so, make me feel like I'm back in 1976?

Carlsberg don't do request, but if they did...

I still have my patch pocket trousers and five-star jumper (with elasticated waist) and will be wearing them, just for old-times' sake.

• Like 2

I still have my patch pocket trousers and five-star jumper (with elasticated waist) and will be wearing them, just for old-times' sake.

All pretty much standard issue on the speedway terraces to this day.

Edited by oldace
  • Like 1

This thread is better than Speedway Updates - any chance of posting each race result, starting at about 7.37-ish each evening and then every five minutes or so, make me feel like I'm back in 1976?

Carlsberg don't do request, but if they did...

A great idea though Crayford's start time was 7.45pm not 7.30pm!!!

Hi Steve

I'm back and need your help again if that's ok. I have three new programmes for which I will need your assistance with the full heat details etc.

However, before that I have the following two minor queries which should hopefully not take up too much of your time to answer.

1) Crayford v Stoke on 26th April 1977 - Was the meeting abandoned without any heats taking place?

2) The 1977 Kentish Times Trophy on 9th August - Do you have the result of the last race which was heat 20? Also what were the final

scores for both Barney Kennett and Vic Harding?

Absolutely no rush for this, but grateful for any help that you can provide.

Many thanks

Paul

However, before that I have the following two minor queries which should hopefully not take up too much of your time to answer.

1) Crayford v Stoke on 26th April 1977 - Was the meeting abandoned without any heats taking place?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi mate,

No, this meeting on a predictably rainy Tuesday made it to three heats!

Crayford 12 (Laurie Etheridge 3[M]; Richard Davey 1; Garry May 0; Alan Sage 3[M]; Mike Bessent 2+1[PM] ; John Hooper 3 [M])

Stoke 5 (Trevor Charley 2; Tim Nunan 0: Stuart Mountford 0; Steve McDermott 2; Ian Robertson 1; Robert Dole 0; Gerry Hintz 0) (aband. after 3 heats – result does not stand)

2) The 1977 Kentish Times Trophy on 9th August - Do you have the result of the last race which was heat 20? Also what were the final

scores for both Barney Kennett and Vic Harding?

Barney finished on 5 points. Vic on 3.

The winner was Tom Owen!!!!! :wink:

Many thanks Parsloes for the quick reply.

I've tried to work out the details of the 3 heats against Stoke from your information so that I can fill my programme in. However, its not straightforward as the programme

lists Colin Farquarson at No.1 for Stoke and the No.2 spot has been left blank. Also with Stoke only scoring 5 points from 3 races one of their riders must have fallen etc when on course for a third place.

Do you know if the following is correct:

Heat 1, Laurie Etheridge, Trevor Charley, Richard Davey and Tim Nunan

Heat 2, John Hooper, Mike Bessent, Ian Robertson and Robert Dole

Heat 3, Alan Sage, Steve McDermott, Stuart Mountford (Did not score) and Garry May (last)

Also, do you have the heat times although I would imagine that these would be well over 60.0 seconds given the wet weather.

Thanks for any further light that you can shed on this short meeting.

Paul