British Speedway Forum
paul90210

Coventry 2013

THE youthful Coventry National League side is beginning to take shape with Bees asset James Sarjeant putting pen to paper for the 2013 season – following on from the signings of Oliver Greenwood and Richard Franklin.

20-year-old Sarjeant, from Sheffield, has been on the Bees’ books from the tender age of 16 but has commenced his speedway education in the National League and last season made big strides whilst based at Rye House, upping his average to an impressive 7.87.

He also featured in several Premier League guest bookings where he gave a good account of himself, and the youngster is looking for a double-up berth in 2013.

Co-team boss Laurence Rogers is pleased with the capture. He said: “I have known Sarj since his early days on a speedway bike in the under-15s and he has always come across as a gritty little rider with great potential.

“He has waited patiently for the chance to ride for his parent club, and in all honesty it did not take too long to agree a deal with him as he really wants to race for Coventry.

“He always has good equipment and has renowned speedway character Mr Enzville looking after him. I think 2013 will be a big breakthrough year for him, and I am glad it will be with us at Coventry.

“Like all riders he needs sponsorship backing and in his case he is looking for a backer to buy him a new Kevlar racing suit – so if anyone would like to support this young Brit, or any of the team, they can contact me by e-mail at laurencerogers@blueyonder.co.uk or leave me a message or text on 07510768392.”

Details of the nickname and logo for the new National League team – who will race home meetings at Brandon predominantly on the Fridays of Grand Prix weekends which preclude Elite League action – are being finalised and should be available soon.

• Like 2

FORMER British Under-18 Champion Brendan Johnson has joined Coventry’s National League team as a full club asset.

Johnson, 20, comes in after a transfer fee was agreed with the Isle of Wight, and he becomes the fourth confirmed starter as Coventry enter the sport’s third-tier for the first time.

He secured his prestigious national title in 2010 at Somerset as part of a remarkable comeback to the sport, after he had suffered head injuries in an horrific crash at the Isle of Wight in August 2009.

Coventry have fought off interest from several other clubs to bring in Johnson, who achieved a 5.25 average on-loan to King’s Lynn this year.

Ironically, he has already made one appearance for the senior Buildbase Bees team, having come in at short notice to guest in the second leg of the Elite League Knockout Cup Final at Poole in October.

Co-boss Blayne Scroggins said: “We’re really pleased to have Brendan on board and although other clubs were showing interest in him, he wanted to come to Coventry.

“He’s always been a talented rider and did well to come back from his injury – we now believe he’s at the right time and the right club to be more than capable of upping his average, and Brendan believes he can too!

“He comes to us as a full asset of Coventry and I’d like to thank the management at the Isle of Wight for their co-operation in completing the deal.”

Sponsorship is of vital importance for the youngsters, and if anyone is able to help please contact Blayne Scroggins at blayne14@hotmail.co.uk or Laurence Rogers at laurencerogers@blueyonder.co.uk .

• Like 4

COVENTRY have made 19-year-old rising star Joe Jacobs their No.1 as they enter the National League for the first time in 2013.

Jacobs won the league title with Mildenhall this year, and joins the Brandon club after four seasons at West Row having pushed his average up to just under-eight in 2012.

He has secured a Premier League deal with Glasgow, who share the same Sunday race-day as Mildenhall, leading to his move away from West Row – and Coventry were quick to make their move.

Ironically, the signing of Jacobs means Coventry will be tracking the top two riders from the 2010 British Under-18 Championship – because Jacobs finished second to new team-mate Brendan Johnson in the prestige event at Somerset at the age of 16. He added a third place in the equivalent event, run at under-19 level, this year.

Jacobs has been racing in Australia since the end of the domestic campaign, and is relishing the opportunity of lining up at Brandon in 2013.

Co-boss Blayne Scroggins said: “I was at Mildenhall when Joe made his debut at 15, and he had a great first year. He’s gone from strength to strength and I’m looking forward to linking up and working with Joe again. I’m really pleased to get him as our new No.1.

“Joe was always part of Mildenhall’s plans but they gave us first refusal in case he signed for a Sunday Premier League track.

“Once we got the go-ahead from Mildenhall, we made contact with Joe in Australia and the deal was swiftly completed.

“I’d like to thank Chris Louis and the Mildenhall management for allowing the deal to be completed quickly and in a professional manner.”

Coventry will also announce this week the nickname for their National League team, who will generally race their home matches on the Fridays of Grand Prix weekends when several Elite League riders are unavailable.

• Like 1

Think I am more excited about the national league rather than the Elite to be honest.

I'd second that!

• Like 1

Do coventry fans know what day the NL team intend to ride?

I'm sure I read a press release saying that the initial intention is Friday's when there is a GP.

WITH the top five positions in their side sorted Coventry Storm's reserve berths are their next priority - and a chance discussion at the end of October has paved the way for a return to track of a promising young rider who was lost to the sport in 2009.

Back in action, and signed for Coventry as an asset, is 23-year-old Trevor Heath, who had been a Mildenhall Fen Tiger under the Mick Horton promotion at West Row where his team managers were Blayne Scroggins and Laurence Rogers!

It was Rogers who met up with Trevor at the dirt track meeting at the end of October when they had a brief discussion about Trevor having a go at speedway again.

Rogers said: “I was at Brandon as I had arranged twelve riders for the event to do some speedway races amongst the pit bikes, quads and dirt track races. I saw Trevor and went to have a chat and wondered if he would be giving speedway a go again, but he said it was unlikely although he would like to.

“I left it at that but when we were getting the team planned I got a call off him to say that he had loved riding Brandon and if there was a team spot going he would really fancy getting back into speedway.

“I applied for his average from the NL co-ordinator and it came back as 4.18, and I must admit I thought that we might not be able to fit him in. He was showing great keenness and had sorted out some equipment from Lee Smart and really wanted to do it. Blayne, Mick and I discussed it and the end result is that we have signed him.”

Co-boss Scroggins believes Heath may be a surprise package at reserve. He said: “Trev had great potential and scored well on occasions, and on good equipment he could get amongst the points.

"I remember at Newport he had bike troubles which were sorted and then no one could touch him and he ended up with double figures, and this is what we think he is capable of. He actually becomes the oldest member of our side at just 23, with the average age of the side just under 20!

“We now have one team spot left with 3.35 points remaining so it is likely to be a three-point newcomer, and we have several we are considering including a complete newcomer to the sport we have been tracking.”

HEATH, Trevor Michael

DATE OF BIRTH: 21 March 1989, Cuckfield, West Sussex.

BRITISH CAREER: (2004) Sheffield II; (2005-06) Mildenhall; (2009) Rye House II.

RIDER LINKS: Cousin of Sam Heath (born: 16 December 1989).

ADDITIONAL INFO: Having not ridden in the Conference League since representing Mildenhall in 2006, Heath returned to British speedway's third tier in June 2009, when a team re-declaration saw him replace Michael Bovis in Rye House's National League outfit. He lost his place in the side towards the end of August, however, when Dan Blake was recalled.

LAURENCE Rogers has also confirmed the Storm’s team-building plans had to change when they were hit by the news that club asset Kyle Hughes was unable to get time off work on Fridays - ruling him out of a team spot at Brandon.

This had repercussions in the rest of the team building as they had worked around Hughes’ low average of 6.12 and lined up two potentially strong reserves. Hughes has now signed for weekend track Stoke, and with a change of direction this has meant that one rider who was lined up to join the Storm and had agreed terms cannot now be fitted in within the maximum 40 points.

Rogers had the unenviable job of informing the rider concerned last weekend – a far from enjoyable task, as he comments: “The lad was well up for it and had been working on sponsorship and ordered new equipment.

“I had the difficult task of informing him he could not be fitted in, and knowing the preparation he had already put in and the enthusiasm he had for riding for us it was not easy to break the news to him. He had turned down other clubs to come to us but as it is a numbers game we had no option as we were 0.04 short of being able to include him!”