British Speedway Forum

So you're saying a rider can only pass when the other makes a mistake then?

If it is his favourite but provides very few chances for passing then he wants to have a rethink, his sport and job will not survive without providing what the fans want to see!

In that case he needs to be allowed to do it because IMG are losing him money!

Its 2013 and your still moaning get a life and waddle of to some other sport

I thought that was a disappointing GP. Huge disparity betweeen the gate positions and a lifeless track making it very difficult to even catch up, never mind make a pass. I don't think it will be much of a guide to the season overall.

Best performers for me in the heats were Holder and especially Ward as the only riders to reach the semis with three starts off the white & yellow gates. Pedersen started with two zeros, looked slow all night but still made the final, which is why he'll be in the mix come the end of the season. Hampel? His heats went with gate position, he had a great ride in the semi then Gollob inexplicably gifted him the inside gate in the final. All credit to Jarek, he won the races when it mattered. Nice to see Woffinden well on the pace. Biggest disappointment was Sayfutdinov, who didn't get near the semis despite having three starts off the inside gates. NKI had an unlucky exclusion but also failed to make the most of his gate positions.

Out of curiosity over the gate statistics, I filled in a scoresheet with each race finishing R,B,W,Y. OK, this can only place riders into groups but the results were distressingly similar to the actual meeting, correctly predicting six of the eight semi-finalists, three of the finalists and three of the the bottom four.

Edited by Man in black

Out of curiosity over the gate statistics, I filled in a scoresheet with each race finishing R,B,W,Y. OK, this can only place riders into groups but the results were distressingly similar to the actual meeting, correctly predicting six of the eight semi-finalists, three of the finalists and three of the the bottom four.

That's simultaneously interesting and worrying! Might be one to bear in mind next year for the betting fraternity.

Which station?

NEWSTALK ZB with Murray Deaker

CERTAINLY didn't say that riders can only pass when one makes a mistake but it does make it more likely.

SKIDDER ... fully agree with you. Speedway riders are racers, they like to go fast, the faster the better. I am no fan of F1, find it very boring even on TV, but on the odd occasion I have been cannot help but be impressed by the pure speed of the cars. Got that same impression at Western Springs standing by the pit gate as the boys roared past. Great skill, great speed but not that exciting overall.

I always found longtrack a little boring for the same reasons. Boy, they go fast but like any big track the riders tend to get spread out. Generally I think speedway is better on smaller tracks although of course there have been exceptions ... the old Hyde Road was a perfect example. But it was almost a freak, that's just the way it was.

I know there are some who don't accept this but there is no pre-determined policy to make tracks for the GPs that will not generate good racing, especially in the Tony Olsson era. Great effort was made at Western Springs over the three days but, in fact, the track was at its best on Friday when practice didn't start until 5pm and there was quite a lot of cloud cover. It generated a lot more grip than it did on Saturday.

The sun is so strong in NZ that water put on the track evaporates even before it has time to sink in. But the people there did their best and will no doubt feel that it didn't work out as well as they would have liked but it wasn't for the lack of trying.

• Like 1

does anyone who knows about such matters know if the incredible summer (hot and dry) we are having will potentially impact upon track preparations if it continues?

Don't think your summer weather (hope it lasts until third week in March!) will impact on track.

IF only it was that easy. It just isn't. It takes time for the moisture to do its job but with the heat of the sun here water evaporates very quickly. People do try their best but it isn't an exact science.

Great effort was made at Western Springs over the three days but, in fact, the track was at its best on Friday when practice didn't start until 5pm and there was quite a lot of cloud cover. It generated a lot more grip than it did on Saturday.

The sun is so strong in NZ that water put on the track evaporates even before it has time to sink in. But the people there did their best and will no doubt feel that it didn't work out as well as they would have liked but it wasn't for the lack of trying.

I'm confused...

So just to confirm, hot, dry summer weather doesn't impact upon track preparation, but hot summer sun does?

Edited by waihekeaces1

Great effort was made at Western Springs over the three days but, in fact, the track was at its best on Friday when practice didn't start until 5pm and there was quite a lot of cloud cover. It generated a lot more grip than it did on Saturday.

Sounds like cricket. Did the track start reverse swinging after a few heats...? ;)

• Like 2

WHY always blame the track if there is a lack of passing? The better the track the less mistakes riders, especially of this ability, are likely to make.

And live speedway is always better than on the box. I recall from my own speedway viewing days at Wimbledon that it was so much better watching from outside the grandstand rather than behind glass there.

Western Springs is a big, fast track, not easy to make up ground once a rider has got away.

Greg Hancock was live on radio on Sunday. Asked what he thought of Western Springs? "My favourite track in the world," he replied. That's a rider's perspective, of course, and not necessarily what the spectators will agree with.

Of course he's going to say that because he is a "gater" and it was a "gaters" track, with virtually no chance of passing after the first bend (unless a rider made a big mistake). The meeting was very very poor, virtually totally devoid of any passing or real excitement. I know in your position that you have to "big up" the sport, but PLEASE try to keep a bit of perspective and reality into your comments, every now and then. It won't hurt to admit that not every speedway GP is always great and this one was about as far away from being great as (hopefully!) we will get all season.

Thought it was a good not great gp.

Darcy best rider on show. But because he is inclined to miss the odd gate plus his over eagerness ( see semi final) means he has still a bit to learn about the gp's. However i can not really see him having a shocker and he will be bang there at the end of the season.

Did Holder look hungry for it? Maybe but he doesnt like the track and i think he to will be there or thereabouts.

Hampel for me sort of passed under the radar a bit but got a win and pleased he is in.

Tai was fantastic proved me totally wrong and just hope he keeps it up.

Emil was disappointing but reckon we could see a different rider in Poland next time up.

Someone said it was disappointing to see the old guard Gollob, Hancock and Nicki in the final but to me just shows how great these 3 guys are. In particular Nicki, who i dont have much time for, basically looked the slowest rider all night. either last or looking likely to be passed yet still made the final. Thats what Ward needs to learn.

In my view Darcy can win this world title just needs to curb his enthusiasm. im sure he would have been second in the semi if he had picked his moment to pass rather than just charge but hey its good to watch

Of course he's going to say that because he is a "gater" and it was a "gaters" track, with virtually no chance of passing after the first bend (unless a rider made a big mistake). The meeting was very very poor, virtually totally devoid of any passing or real excitement. I know in your position that you have to "big up" the sport, but PLEASE try to keep a bit of perspective and reality into your comments, every now and then. It won't hurt to admit that not every speedway GP is always great and this one was about as far away from being great as (hopefully!) we will get all season.

I DIDN'T say it was great, simply that when there isn't plenty of passing some people rush to blame the track. Ward and Sayfutdinov, Pedersen and Iversen showed what could be done. Sometimes it is just because the riders are either too good or not good enough.

With regard to earlier comment about 'summer weather' ... initial comment was that hopefully the fine weather in NZ would continue for track preparation (ie laying of the actual surface).

I DIDN'T say it was great, simply that when there isn't plenty of passing some people rush to blame the track. Ward and Sayfutdinov, Pedersen and Iversen showed what could be done. Sometimes it is just because the riders are either too good or not good enough.

With regard to earlier comment about 'summer weather' ... initial comment was that hopefully the fine weather in NZ would continue for track preparation (ie laying of the actual surface).

To sum up them, not really a good gp best maybe not go back for a third year :D

Hello does anyone on here hae a NZ GP progrmme cover scan they could possibly email me. Many thanks.......

Hello does anyone on here hae a NZ GP progrmme cover scan they could possibly email me. Many thanks.......

WHAT'S your email address? Or email me at phil@pinegen.co.uk

Hi folks. Haven't been on for a while but just thought you might like to know the latest news about GP NZ 2014 as reported in our local media a few days ago. Try as I might I can't find a link online but the report said that this third GP just might be the last one for NZ. Promoter Bill Buckley has reportedly lost a million dollars plus in the two run so far. It goes on to say that they will probably need a crowd attendance of around 20,000 to justify him carrying on. I think last time was about 10/12,000 from memory and maybe 14,000 at the first one. The previous two had racing starting at 4pm due to local issues with Council over sound levels. This time it seems the racing will be in the evening and a couple of weeks later in early April. I will be there to help the numbers having bought my ticket at the early release about three months ago! Seasons greetings to all. Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi folks. Haven't been on for a while but just thought you might like to know the latest news about GP NZ 2014 as reported in our local media a few days ago. Try as I might I can't find a link online but the report said that this third GP just might be the last one for NZ. Promoter Bill Buckley has reportedly lost a million dollars plus in the two run so far. It goes on to say that they will probably need a crowd attendance of around 20,000 to justify him carrying on. I think last time was about 10/12,000 from memory and maybe 14,000 at the first one. The previous two had racing starting at 4pm due to local issues with Council over sound levels. This time it seems the racing will be in the evening and a couple of weeks later in early April. I will be there to help the numbers having bought my ticket at the early release about three months ago! Seasons greetings to all. Cheers.

It is essential we stay optimistic about the continuation of the GP in New Zealand and that Western Springs achieves the attendance target figure you mention.

Essentially, and sadly, New Zealand is no longer a speedway orientated country - there are three main solo motorcycle speedway tracks Moore Park, Oreti and Rosebank, but none run on a weekly basis. They are up against some 30 venues that run more regularly for various car formulas - and in some cases stage sidecar racing.

I have read elsewhere that Bill Buckley is involved in a venture for a World Sprint Car Championship with drivers from USA, New Zealand, Australia and possibly South Africa involved. But that does not mean he has turned his back on the solos - far from it according to overseas forums.

We must remain positive about the continuation of the GP in New Zealand and that the attendance in 2014 will influence Bill Buckley to continue his association with the GP for many years to come.

Edited by Guest

here's the article - was planning to post it myself.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11178564

i'm pretty sure it understates the attendance at the first GP - estimates at the time were around 17-20k, and that's from people who regularly attend western springs.

but can't see them getting 25k, especially with the stons playing the same night. I'll be there with my whanau, hoping very much it isnt the last nz gp, but if it is will still be thankful for the three years that Bill has brought it to NZ. Stoked its going to be later this year, so the latter heats should be under lights, which does make it a better spectatcle. hope also the track is better than last year and more in line ith the first year track.

really Bill B deservced much better support from auckland council and auckland/nz tourism - but motorspsorts doesn't seem to attract the same support from these bodies that a more gentile sport might.

very interested also in how much he has had to pay BSI for the priviledge of hosting the gp. given that he holds the lease to western springs stadium, the two makor expenses must be the bsi fee (hich to be fair needs to cover the cost of shippin riders and equipment etc to NZ, which can't be cheap - but i ould very much like to know how much cream bsi are milking from this) and the track preparation.

• Like 1