British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
THE DEAN MACHINE

Heat Shields

It's a 3ft long exhaust coming off a race engine that is running flat out (not in my case) for over a minute it's gonna get hot! Yes the new ones do get hotter than the older style ones.. But I can assure that the older ones still got hot enough to do the same damage (burns) as the new ones so why wasn't this brought up ages ago if there is a issue with it. This is just becoming a farse now within speedway! As sum1 posted previous what about the down pipe and the engine it's self?

Wish they would leave it alone it's speedway for gods sake 500cc bikes with no brakes on a enclosed race circuit with no run off its going to be dangerouse, and there worried about covering 300mm of the rear end of the exhaust that is right next to a rear tyre spinning at god nos what rpm!

That's my rant over!

I used to be a 500 sidecar passenger and heat from the exhausts was s big problem as they ran next to your left leg. I got burned several times on the 1000m track at herxheim. We tested a carbon end can from a Ducati super bike once. No discernible loss in power but you could still touch it after 4 laps ... As they are already homologated by the FIM Maybe worth testing ??

That is good, but will the approval be given before or after the need for the riders to purchase the heat shield.

Think the FIM rule says you need a heat shield from now on, so you need a heat shield. In any silencer.

They are talking about modifying excisting silencers .they dont know what to do next they are like headless chickens. This silencer issue is a sad reflection of the way speedway in general is being run

• Like 1

It's a 3ft long exhaust coming off a race engine that is running flat out (not in my case) for over a minute it's gonna get hot! Yes the new ones do get hotter than the older style ones.. But I can assure that the older ones still got hot enough to do the same damage (burns) as the new ones so why wasn't this brought up ages ago if there is a issue with it. This is just becoming a farse now within speedway! As sum1 posted previous what about the down pipe and the engine it's self?

Wish they would leave it alone it's speedway for gods sake 500cc bikes with no brakes on a enclosed race circuit with no run off its going to be dangerouse, and there worried about covering 300mm of the rear end of the exhaust that is right next to a rear tyre spinning at god nos what rpm!

That's my rant over!

Exactly my point about downpipes on the previous page - just as hot if not hotter than the silencer, so why is that not an issue? it's still just as accessible in an accident where somebody could receive a burn. Why not just have a rule where all moving parts must be covered? that's next I think.

Having just spoken to the scb regarding heat shields, following a meetin held on tuesday it has been decided that heatshields are NOT compulasary until possible 2014, all fim silencers (the legal ones) can be used as normal and possible there is a new silencer soming out with heat shields built in to them! Hope this helps any other riders looking on here!

Having just spoken to the scb regarding heat shields, following a meetin held on tuesday it has been decided that heatshields are NOT compulasary until possible 2014, all fim silencers (the legal ones) can be used as normal and possible there is a new silencer soming out with heat shields built in to them! Hope this helps any other riders looking on here!

The plan was that after 01012013 all silencers will have to have a heat shield. New ones produced will have it bolt on as standard, but last years silencers will have to be fitted with the heat shield held with the mentioned straps. The DEP/KING silencers that were produced last year are the same as they are this year with the heat shield as standard, the same homologation stamp.

If they come up with a totally new silencer, an internally modified 2012 DEP/King for example, then the rule's IMO will have to be changed again. That would IMO mean that everyone would scrap the current ones and new ones would again become standard.