British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
21st century heathen

Dudley V Coventry Ch 09.04.12

Surprised this one hasn't been started yet. Preview from the Heathens website below. Cov's website doesn't allow C&P - linked to it though if anyone wants to read their take on it.

HEATHENS are expecting a bumper opening night crowd for their Travel Plus Trophy tie with Coventry at Monmore Green on Tuesday (7.30).

The former Cradley club are looking to build on their stunning National Shield win at Mildenhall on Sunday by building up a handy first leg lead against the Storm to take to Brandon for the return on April 19.

And boss Will Pottinger wants fans to welcome the club’s fine new signings with open arms.

He said: “It’s a big night for the new lads but when they see our fans on the terraces they will realise just how many people are willing them to succeed.

“We are really pleased with the win at Mildenhall but this is a new test for us because Coventry have riders with experience of the Monmore track, so we’re expecting a very tough test.”

Coventry are new to the National League and include former Heathens riders Richard Franklin – who had two seasons at Monmore – Brendan Johnson and James Sarjeant.

They’ve also signed Joe Jacobs as the new No.1 and he was a team-mate of Blackbird in the title winning Mildenhall team last season.

Admission prices for tonight are £11 adults, £8 concessions and £2 children. Programmes are £2.

DUDLEY: Ashley Morris, Gareth Isherwood, Paul Starke, Dan Greenwood, Lewis Blackbird, Max Clegg, Nathan Greaves.

COVENTRY: Joe Jacobs, Richard Franklin, Oliver Greenwood, Brendan Johnson, James Sarjeant, Trevor Heath, Martin Knuckey.

http://www.dudleyheathens.co/news.php?extend.766

http://www.coventrybees.co/news.php?extend.2228

So the long awaited renewal of an rivalry is upon us. The Heathens hand home debuts to 5 riders. On paper I feel we are too strong for Coventry but with Monmore being a track where experience is important our boys lack of experience early season may see a few cracks in the armour. JJ and Sarj will be quick, I'm sure. Greenwwod looked pretty good in practice last week and Johnson wasn't troubled at all by his team mates so he was looking pretty decent too. I'm certainly not writing off the potential challenge by the visitors but I'd like to see us run out comfortable winners with every one of our boys in the points again. It would represent a solid start and a real confidence boost ahead of the NL meetings.

Any one from Cov heading over? It would be great to see a strong following. :)

• Like 2

is there anybody going to this meeting that could text to the updates site? Send me a pm if you can.

Any Heathens fans who are at a loose end on Sunday why not pop down to the Sandwell Cycle Speedway track as Birmingham will begin their Elite League campaign.

The Monarchs who will be led by captain and England International Chris Timms will face Sheffield Stars who have Andy Angell who is the current and double British Champion in their ranks.

Racing starts at 2pm and parking and to watch the racing is free of charge. Refreshments will be on sale at the track during the afternoon. Details on the meeting can be found here. Cheers

http://birminghammonarchs.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/stars-head-into-town-elite-preview/

I stopped to see the Storm have a six heat match against each other and like 21st said Greenwood and Johnson both looked very impressive. Franklin looked good in his only ride as the other two he had bikes problems but if he steers clear of anymore of them he should look strong.

Be interesting to see how Heath and Knuckley both go as well, Trevor looked little rusty on Friday but got better throughout his rides.

Should be a close one but think Dudley like just pip it.

Cant for the life of me see The Heathens losing this one, the Heat leaders are closely matched, Franklin should score his usual 5 or 6, Brendon has never really gone well at Monmore, so i see The Heathens 2nd strings just edging there counterparts, but at reserve i cant see Storm reserves worrying The Heathens 6/7 at all. I dont normally do forcasts but a minimum 10 point win for the Heathens, should be the order of the day.

Anyone got any weather forcasts, up until now today has been dull and coldish, cant remember when we last had any rain, snow yes, but not rain. Good luck to both Teams and stay safe.

is there anybody going to this meeting that could text to the updates site? Send me a pm if you can.

You doing updating? I can PM you my number if so. If not please let me know who to contact. Cheers. :)

Anyone got any weather forcasts...

Dry, still cold for the time of year but not as icy cold as it has been, cloudy but not rain bearing bar the odd dribs and drabs of drizzle here and there.

On paper we look good at reserve, but they don't have many laps around Monmore so I think we need to get this meeting under our belts to see how well the boys take to it on their debut. They're bound to be a bit nervous as well which can have an effect. The top 5 should have enough general experience to work through set-ups to find what works for them and work out the lines relatively quickly. Hopefully Ash and Dan will be quick to advise where necessary. :)

Great Meeting, yes it was an easy win but it was very entertaining with 'Mildenhall Got Ommerd' on the underside of Blackbird's race jacket been one of them, the other has got to be Max Clegg's 2nd place behind his team mate Blackbird in heat 11! What a ride out of the 2nd bend and flew past Covs number 1! Brilliant and worth the entrance fee!

• Like 2

First home Meeting of the season and its a great start. Great team performance by all the riders and Lewis Blackbird knows how to get the fans on his side :-)

Nice to see some Track action at last, and The Heathens have this sewn up, no way back for The Storm in the 2nd leg, For The Heathens NO weak links, and they will only get better as the season goes on, i will only comment on the newcomers; Gareth very impressive from the gate, and rode a good line, Starkey same as Gareth, and rides a very good line around monmore, The beast from the east Lewi was up for it, and is determined to win the crowd over, seems a character which we need, Cleggy can only improve with more experience of monmore, his heat 11 blast round the outside had a few spectators with there hearts in there mouths, but well done son, Nath again more experience of monmore is needed, but has a nice style, will need to learn there are four laps to pass someone, not just do it all in 1 lap, but then thats a 15 year old for you. On this showing, the Heathens will take some beating around Monmore, i can only see Dudley South giving them a run for there money, definate play off material, League winners ?, that depends very much on who improves, and on that note i will add, Dan, Max, and Nathan can, should, and will improve on this showing, but admitedly tougher tests lie ahead.

The Storm, 2 Heat winners all night should tell you where this was won and lost, JJ, Sarj and Olly all slightly dissapointing, Richie needs to sort out his bikes, Brendon showed again monmore isnt his favourite track, Trevor was on the pace, and Martin improved as the meeting went on, i guess they were dissapointed with the final scoreline, but this was the season opener.

The track rode well, crowd was about average on a cold night, made worse by a bitterly cold wind, god knows why we had an interval, maybe to freeze us even more.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 1