British Speedway Forum
TMW

Leicester V Redcar 20th April

For those who have made comments on the track grading . We grade only 4 times every 4 heats and only 4 or 5 laps. Fact.......

• Like 1

For those who have made comments on the track grading . We grade only 4 times every 4 heats and only 4 or 5 laps. Fact.......

It improves the racing no end.

Lions 12.

If I put plenty of dirt on it will not make more lines. Riders enter the turns at 60+mph and if there was more grip they cant turn. It needs to be slick going in to the turns.

Nemo crashed last night when he went into the dirt as he couldnt turn the bike.

I prepare the track for the riders safety and yes I have put more dirt on the outside but if they go out to it they get passed as the fastest line is one they use now.

Its not a case of the riders v the spectators. Its about making the best and safest track with what we have to work with.

Edited by speedflash
  • Like 4

. Its about making the best and safest track with what we have to work with.

and what you've got to work with is the worst track shape i've ever witnessed.

• Like 1

It's a myth that more dirt = better racing. what makes a track good is when there more than one line, when there not an obvious line that riders can dump themselves on and thats it. I've not been to Leicester to have any opinion on how to fix it but I'm willing to bet it's not just dumping more dirt on it. Anyone who has ridden a speedway bike (even very slowly) on a track with dirt on it will know what effect it has and it's not the one you think!

Edited by SCB

Lions 12.

If I put plenty of dirt on it will not make more lines. Riders enter the turns at 60+mph and if there was more grip they cant turn. It needs to be slick going in to the turns.

Nemo crashed last night when he went into the dirt as he couldnt turn the bike.

I preparethe track for the riders safety and yes I have put more dirt on the outside but if they go out to it they get passed as the fastest line is one they use now.

Its not a case of the riders v the spectators. Its about making the best and safest track with what we have to work with.

While I doubt they reach quite the top speed being claimed, it's clear that the straights are far too long for the corners. Shaving a tiny piece off the entry and exits to the corners isn't going to change that.

While I doubt they reach quite the top speed being claimed, it's clear that the straights are far too long for the corners. Shaving a tiny piece off the entry and exits to the corners isn't going to change that.

If I remember correctly, the police did a test there in 2011 and the speed at the end of the straight going into the 3rd turn was around 75mph.

and what you've got to work with is the worst track shape i've ever witnessed.

I was there for the Rye House meeting in the first season the track opened and thought the straights were too long for the tight bends. Just my opinion, I'm no expert

If I remember correctly, the police did a test there in 2011 and the speed at the end of the straight going into the 3rd turn was around 75mph.

So crimes against speedway racing were being noted by the police as far back as 2011

• Like 1

They must somehow drop down to about 25mph on the corners then, without brakes. Anyway, like I said, regardless of the exact top speed attained, the point is that the straights need radically shortening.

to get away from the track/toilet debate (sorry to change the subject guys) but i for one are glad against the odds we came away with a good win.such a shame doolan fell while leading and karlsson hit that rut while in second to doolan in ht 15 or they both would of ended up with 17 points each and the scoreline would of been bigger i think also lewis had bike problems while being well placed.the talking point in the bar afterwards was when adam is fit who will get the chop it seems a little unfair that any of the top four should face the axe they all seem to be doing their bit anyone with a view point? sorry to steer away from the track,toilets, hemsley debates but i think those subjects have been done to death now and are getting a little boring.

• Like 2

to get away from the track/toilet debate (sorry to change the subject guys) but i for one are glad against the odds we came away with a good win.such a shame doolan fell while leading and karlsson hit that rut while in second to doolan in ht 15 or they both would of ended up with 17 points each and the scoreline would of been bigger i think also lewis had bike problems while being well placed.the talking point in the bar afterwards was when adam is fit who will get the chop it seems a little unfair that any of the top four should face the axe they all seem to be doing their bit anyone with a view point? sorry to steer away from the track,toilets, hemsley debates but i think those subjects have been done to death now and are getting a little boring.

Boring, maybe, but many fans, not only on this forum, feel it's important. We may have a winning team at home, but attendances are still falling. Hemsley can ignore this if he chooses, but for many fans a winning team isn't everything. People go out on a Saturday night to be entertained. If the speedway isn't providing that entertainment some will look elsewhere.

• Like 1

Boring, maybe, but many fans, not only on this forum, feel it's important. We may have a winning team at home, but attendances are still falling. Hemsley can ignore this if he chooses, but for many fans a winning team isn't everything. People go out on a Saturday night to be entertained. If the speedway isn't providing that entertainment some will look elsewhere.

There was no evidence of a fall in attendance last night,I thought it was a very good crowd.

Hello all, I never post on this site, but I always read every post relating to the lions, I was not a massive speedway fan, and I never went to blackbird road, in fact my first taste of speedway was at Coventry over 20 years ago,when I lived in south Leicestershire. I just remember a rider called Roman M?????. He was a bit crazy, but he excited me in the way rode the bike. He was not the best I don't suppose? He won some, Fell sometimes, but he always had a right old go. I moved to Leicester many years ago, and when I was told speedway was coming back I was very happy, It was to be built within 5 mins walk from my house, couldn't get any better for me. The first season I guessed the team would struggle, new set up, not a lot of money to spend on riders etc, But I went to every meeting, some were good , some not so good, my expectations of that season were low, but I was enjoying watching riders from other teams, With a hope that in the future we would be able to afford some of these riders ourselves when the club became more established?

The second season my expectations were a little higher. New riders, etc, club in a better financial position, and I think that happened, making the play off's etc.

This season my expectations are much higher, listening to pre season radio interviews with DH and AJ. Stating that changes to the track would be made, which would produce more racing lines, new riders who would be more capable of winning away from home.

So now after explaining a little bit of how i see Leicester speedway, could someone please explain a few things to me??

1. Why are there certain posters on here determined to give Leicester speedway a bad time?? I understand that DH has upset people along the way to bring the Lions back, although I only have the word of the posters on here that that is the case? I have never seen anything in the local press that anyone feels hard done to by DH.

2.The track , certain posters on here keep saying the track is crap!! Changes need to be made, but I have not seen 1 post from these people to exactly what they would do?? I have never ridden a speedway bike so have no idea what shape or size or surface it would need to be to create the perfect racing track, with 2 or more racing lines. I have seen where people have said rip it up and start again, but I can not see that happening, So please explain what is needed?? If it is to cost a lot of money to get it up to the standard the the negative posters require then may I suggest you put forward you plans for the new shape? Size and surface, Then lets get a costing, if need be, raise the money one way or another and get it done. Lets be honest it would not take long with the generosity shown by Lions fans when bucket collections have been made at BP.

3.This one is for DH or AJ. I have to say your comments in the programme about the attendance the other week has annoyed my a little!! From my point a view, like I have said I only live 5 mins walk away, the weather was not good at all !! I normally get to the stadium about 6.15, but that night I was sure the meeting would be cancelled!! I kept looking on the website, on face book etc. many people were of the same opinion as me that if the meeting had started then it would more than likely be stopped soon after, as the rain was still falling hard. I did come to the meeting about 7.10 with waterproofs, hat etc. Went home pleased we won but freezing cold and wet!! I would like to know just how many people you really expected to travel to a meeting that was really a nothing event after the teams poor performance away from home ?? I also think the statement that if the crowd levels drop to that extent then you would not be able to sustain speedway at Leicester in the future, ok fine I understand that but do not be so vague, tells us a figure, how many people do you need??

I unlike many will continue to go every week, I can afford it at the moment, but if things change and i find myself struggling for money, then being honest I would think twice? But if things were better from a racing point of view I would make a sacrifice elsewhere to be able to go.

Sorry if I have bored anyone with my questions!!