British Speedway Forum
Ben91

British Under 21 Final - Dudley - 23/4/13

Reality check

This is fact not fiction.

The world u21 semi round is in Rawicz where we UK have 2 places.

Distance from London to Rawicz is approx 850 miles (approx same as London to Glasgow and back so not the other side of the world)

The cost to a rider is as follows

Ferry/Tunnel £80

Diesel at 30mpg £350

Licence and insurance £130

Total outlay to get to meeting £560

before people say about food hotels etc (food would be bought in UK same as if in Poland etc)

Hotels are not needed (3 people in van share driving, share sleeping. drive/ do meeting/ drive home)

No this is worst case scenario coming 16th place in the meeting

16th place prize money 400 euros (£336)

SCB £200 help towards travel cost

2 tyres kindly sponsored by NSSC

Total income for last place would be £536 (loss £24)

Total income for 1st place in meeting prize money £1000 (Gain £440)

• Like 1

Reality check

Brilliant quote, Phil!

I see we only have two places in the semi -- so am I right in thinking Jason G wouldn't have been in it anyway?

Thus, are all the quotes above here about "he's withdrawn on cost grounds" and "lack of ambition" in fact simply a crock of shyt?

I love some of the posters on here..........

Edited by freddyfivetoes

Reality check

Distance from London to Rawicz is approx 850 miles (approx same as London to Glasgow and back so not the other side of the world)

The cost to a rider is as follows

Ferry/Tunnel £80

Diesel at 30mpg £350

Licence and insurance £130

Total outlay to get to meeting £560

before people say about food hotels etc (food would be bought in UK same as if in Poland etc)

Hotels are not needed (3 people in van share driving, share sleeping. drive/ do meeting/ drive home)

No this is worst case scenario coming 16th place in the meeting

16th place prize money 400 euros (£336)

SCB £200 help towards travel cost

2 tyres kindly sponsored by NSSC

add to that , European van insurance cover , loss of earnings from rye house , engine wear and tear both on bikes and van , and I'm sure it will cost a lot more to eat in resteraunts than it would to fry a couple of rashers for breakfast at home . and the losses are starting to mount

Brilliant quote, Phil!

I see we only have two places in the semi -- so am I right in thinking Jason G wouldn't have been in it anyway?

Thus, are all the quotes above here about "he's withdrawn on cost grounds" and "lack of ambition" in fact simply a crock of shyt?

I love some of the posters on here..........

So what is this then? http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/2420/branford-bags-british-u21-crown

add to that , European van insurance cover , loss of earnings from rye house , engine wear and tear both on bikes and van , and I'm sure it will cost a lot more to eat in resteraunts than it would to fry a couple of rashers for breakfast at home . and the losses are starting to mount

You need to speculate to accumulate. There are young English riders out there that have done these meetings and picked up other more lucrative continental bookings as a result of their efforts.

So i take it the three people one would be the rider, the other two would do it for free, <nowts for free> or if it is, a Top Spanner man certainly wouldnt be free, not all riders live in London so added to that would be cost to get to London and back, we can ALL do figures to make them seem genuine, but yes its a great guide to what riders need to spend.

Thanks for doing the basic costings wizzer, but how many times does the cost out weigh what we budget ? unforseen costs involved and we all know that often happens.

The figure i gave was for a rider who competed in the Under 21,s in 2012, and the info came from a person who knows the rider very well, in fact he sponsored him in a small way in 2011 and 2012, so i have no reason to doubt his figures of aprox £800 expences and £200 subsidy from the ACU.

1153 miles from ash home to track and yes it ll cost bit more than Phil states but not a millions miles off and yes we have 1 place in Italy which Howarth is doing, so good luck to all 3 and Jason keep up the good work doing really well this year and I for one am pleased for the lad

• Like 1

As Wizzer says, GB has two places open. I presume the 1st & 2nd in the U21 final grabbed those places. Jason Garrity was 3rd, so why the fuss? He didn't qualify

As Wizzer says, GB has two places open. I presume the 1st & 2nd in the U21 final grabbed those places. Jason Garrity was 3rd, so why the fuss? He didn't qualify

That was just one of the semi's, read my earlier link.

That was just one of the semi's, read my earlier link.

Has anyone spoken to Jason to ask why he's pulled out?

It tells you in the link.

Cheers. Missed that link on my mobile.