British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny the spud

Isle Of Wight

The island seem to be screaming through their meetings this year, all team members scoring and new signing Tom Young seems to be fitting in well yet there seems to be not a lot said about them on here.

So.... Here's an Isle of Wight speedway thread ! Well done guys.

Can see IOW doing a Mildenhall like last year.

Well they are certainly favourites in my eyes, and in Adam Ellis they have a match winner, Tom Perry hasnt hit top form yet, neither has Tom Young, so there is more to come. I can see this beeing a big season for the Island, just stay safe.

I also reckon Dudley South(controversial :D ) will win the lot this year.Meanwhile get well soon Dan Stoneman.

Edited by martin_t

Went on my annual overseas jaunt a couple of weeks ago for the Buxton meeting and , as usual had a very enjoyable trip. For such a young team they are a very formidable outfit and must be favourites for the NL this year. Buxton got some real battlers too.

The new start time should help attendances and definitely made for a good atmosphere in the club after the meeting with the riders able to be there instead of having to make a mad dash for the ferry.

The new promotion seem very enthusiastic and determined to make a success of their venture. Often thought why not make a bigger push to get the citizens of Portsmouth more interested - a few hundred thousand population just a ferry ride away - but maybe there are reasons and I am speaking out of turn.

One thing if they want to avoid being reported for upside down flags again - many years ago I was taught by a former WW1 officer it is "Wide white, uppermost, to the post". Believe me he would have wanted far more serious repercussions than a mere report if anyone got our flag upside down!!!!

Good luck Islanders both on and off the track.

:) :) :)

Well they are certainly favourites in my eyes, and in Adam Ellis they have a match winner, Tom Perry hasnt hit top form yet, neither has Tom Young, so there is more to come. I can see this beeing a big season for the Island, just stay safe.

Here's an interesting item re Adam Ellis as posted elsewehere:

THE VORTEX LAKESIDE HAMMERS

PRESS RELEASE

Wednesday 22nd May 2013

ULAMEK IS JOINED BY WONDER KID ELLIS

Excitement is the name of the game as the Vortex Hammers have unveiled 17 year old whiz kid Adam Ellis as a surprise addition to the side alongside fellow new signing Seb Ulamek with both riders first appearances brought forward to this Friday’s home clash against Coventry.

I'm going to put my neck out now, and give you the following prediction.

The Isle of Wight won't even make the play-off final.

That's right, you heard me. Feel free to quote me come September.

I'm going to put my neck out now, and give you the following prediction.

The Isle of Wight won't even make the play-off final.

That's right, you heard me. Feel free to quote me come September.

Jeez Vog, thats a bold statement to make, however Im guessing you are going on previous Teams who have topped the League, only to fail in the play offs.

What do you base that on ?

Jeez Vog, thats a bold statement to make, however Im guessing you are going on previous Teams who have topped the League, only to fail in the play offs.

A combination of things really. I like the IoW team as it stands, but you have the number 1 doubling up, and the number 7 now tripling up. If the IoW don't take priority, they could be in a deep hole if either rider is missing. Stoneman is now injured, and you have already lost Bekker for the season. Hopwood is showing a bit of form, but how long will it continue? And if you don't find a replacement for Stoneman, depending on how long he is injured, what happens when Ellis moves up into the main body? The IoW are helped at the moment by having a fantastic reserve, who will average well over 8, probably over 9. Once he moves up, that strength at the bottom end will virtually be lost. Compare that to a team like Dudley, who when Clegg or Stoneman move up, will have Isherwood potentially dropping down and you have my reasoning.

Personally, I think you will end up with IoW topping the league, and they will face one of Dudley, Mildenhall or Stoke in the semi. The play-offs aren't about being the best team over the course of the league, they are about getting hot at the right time.

GOING TO IOW FOR A SHORT BREAK IN JUNE NEVER BEEN BEFORE SO LOOKING FORWARD TO CATCHING A MEETING IT WOULD BE MY FIRST VIEW OF NL RACING

It's a great place :party:

Another great win for the islanders tonight. Strength in depth with everyone scoring well.

Excellent result !