British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wandersome

Leicester 2011 (slight Return)

Some random quotes from 3 Leicester threads in our opening season...firstly from a MAY 2011 thread (just a month after opening) - Crowds probably 2000-2500

Glyn Taylor

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

Hi,

I feel I must defend myself here.

Last night I had put 20 tons of new dirt and the riders are telling me there is too much .

The problem is in the track shape the surface is good.

You who say on here there is no dirt I invite you to come with me on a track walk before and after the meeting.

We are going to change the shape over the next few weeks.

Both Doc and Graham have been and agree with what I have said.

The Redcar Manager Jittendra Duffill

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

l have to agree with Glyn here, the track preparation last night was superb with plenty of dirt around the outside. Watering was perfect and all the Redcar riders were impressed. The track was smooth and consistent, a great achievement for the amount of time it has been laid, so I'm 100% confident this is not the problem. The reason you are not seeing good racing is definitely the track shape, the straights are far too long IMO and its pretty square going into the turns so its hard to race anyone into the turns. Great to hear that the shape will be altered because I believe that if they took 10 metres of each bend it has the potential to be one of the best racing tracks in the country.

Bilbo baggins

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:53 PM

All week, I have been reading that the watering problems have been solved and the track and, racing were going to be much better. HOW WRONG WAS THAT!!!!!!!!!

The track is appalling

PT Preece

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

I think the track needs the corners pulling in few feet, so you can get an inside line, and some shale

Barrow Boy

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Could be the best trier in the world but he won't be any good on Leicester's track if he can't gate

Hazzman

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

I honestly think I'll give it a month before returning again. Harsh to say but I just don't find it entertaining.

Flagrag

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

I made another visit to Leicester last night as was already in the area for work, I must say I was very disappointed with what I saw the track is no better and hardly any racing

Squall

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

Too tight going into the bends. So Father Squall says anyway

Halifaxtiger

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

One thing that is certain is that Glyn Taylor is a good track man and hasn't become a bad one overnight. The difference in racing when he was at STMP and since he has left is marked.

If he says it is the shape of the track I have no reason to doubt his word

Nobrakeshere

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

The presentation needs sorting quickly, but not as quickly as the track. Most of us can take losing but watching gating practice wears a bit thin. I was in the pits last match and looking from that position the fourth bend looks flat, which won't help, but general opinion is that the bends need to be taken in a bit. The strange thing is, that before the fence went in it seemed to look ok with a wide entry to the bends, but in practice it has not worked out. Time to change the shape before we lose more support I feel. I hope it gets sorted as DH has put so much effort (and money) into the venture and has some good people around him, I'm sure it will all come good, just needs to be sooner than later.

Ian T

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

Unfortunately all the points raised in this thread are perfectly valid (apart from the usual childish comments) The racing has been non-existent and really very tedious

From a SEPTEMBER 2011 thread - Crowds probably 1800-2000

Robert72

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

first out won in nearly every race, rumours are David is NOT going to change the track over the winter, bad move i and many others think

40-38

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

I hope that isn't true. I really don't want us to have a crap track reputation

Me

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

I’d guess the rumour emanates from David Hemsley's interview on BBC radio Coventry and Warwick where he basically said the track now rides well and that the racing is now as good as anywhere in the country. He was pretty much blaming the standard of racing earlier in the season to certain riders dictating the preparation of the surface to suit themselves and since we have gotten in a better class of rider and stopped individual riders dictating how the surface is prepared the racing is up there with the best. I really hope some work is done in the winter in widening the entry to both bends as i think the 'corridor' (that David was questioning) is definitely there

Bornagainlion

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

I started worrying a few weeks ago when the "best racing in the country" quote was heard in the programme notes

LionsDen

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

To say the racing is as good as any he's ever seen, as Hemsley did in his Glasgow match programme notes, simply beggars belief and makes you wonder what the hell he's watching!

Boulger fan

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

To be honest the last meeting I went to was Plymouth and after that I thought I am wasting my money watching processional unexciting racing 90% of the time

Jackson2

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:48 AM

Don’t blame you Bouger Fan for not going any more i don’t a waste of money just seems that Hemsley does not want good racing just your money

For a balanced view -

Pixel8

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

Overall I would say that the track and the racing have improved as the season has progressed. I am lead to believe that the inside line will be pulled in over winter which will give a choice of lines entering the turns, thus improving the overtaking possibilities.

From a OCTOBER 2011thread - crowds probably 1700-2000

Glyn

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

I have spoken to Dave and we are going to make some changes to the track.

So please lets move on.

Lucifer Sam

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

Let's give Leicester a fair crack of the whip. They are still in their first year of opeartion. Let's see what the track is like next year, as I believe it will undergo a fair amount of work during the winter months

40-38

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:57 AM

It was dire again

Nobrakeshere1

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

Glyn wants to change the track, he's said so. Not so sure DH feels totally the same way, he wants to put more banking in but is non commital about moving drains etc which would be needed to take the bends in. I'm sure if I rode around the place on my own it would feel OK, and I know people who have and say it feels fine, but in racing mode it's not wide enough entering the turns to allow riders to race, you have to follow the leader

Shadders

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

Been there a couple of times and after my first visit way back in April I posted that the track was the wrong shape... The bends are too tight for such long straights

Halifaxtiger

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

When I have been it hasn't been good but lets give them the winter to sort it out

Lion tamer (my guess is this is Dave Howard of timekeeping and LSSC face book fame and still one of the true believers)

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

Whenever a new track has opened up in recent years all we hear from the so called speedway fans is "brilliant", "fantastic", "we need all the tracks we can get re-opening", but for some reason which I can't for the life of me understand, Leicester has been the constant brunt of snide remarks & criticisms. If I was David Hemsley I would seriously feel like saying f*** you, demolish the whole lot, & let's see lots more tracks closing down. Speedway fans? Don't make me laugh.

Neilbv

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

Instead of demolishing the place in a huff why not just do the bleeding obvious thing & change the shape?? I know 3 of the current Leicester team personally as well as many opposition riders & all bar 1 have commented on what a crap shape it is. Yes the fans do love speedway but wouldn't you rather watch racing with overtaking than follow the leader stuff you get at BP? Like someone has said on here the honeymoon is over & if DH choses to ignore GOOD advise then the man's a fool

Nightshift

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

I think DH has been somewhat fortunate, in that the crowds at Leicester have held up pretty well. I really can not believe the one most important thing to get right, the track, was so badly designed. It really is a monumental clanger...

If it is not changed I'm afraid Leicester speedway will struggle to survive. I have been to just about every home meeting and to be honest standing there in the hope of a decent race is now, for me, becoming hard work. I really can't say how many times I have walked back to my car and said to my self that was the last time. I think it will start to become a bit of a chore next season for many people if something isn't done

Paulr

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

1. People make mistakes - the critical thing for Leicester is to recognise & accept there is an issue with the track and do something about it

Ballroom

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

As others have said, fairly, there are issues with the track and the standard of racing. We look to those being addressed in time

Crash Test Dummy

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

Interesting posts for and against DH.

The proof of the pudding will be this winter, ie. will DH plough more finance into altering the track and getting it right or will he press on lemming like, thinking he knows best and no one else's opinions count cos he's the big cheese who's put up the cash and got the outfit running

Marky

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

i've been to Leicester twice and hardly seen a passing move.

unless they change the track for next year crowds will go down

Nightshift

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

If he doesn't change the track he wont have any funds

Tiberon

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

IMO they need to take in the inside going into turn one (and possibly three).

Neb

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

in fact the whole thread is more boring than leicester's track,yes we all know the track is not the best and yes it will be changed over the winter says glyn so lets just look forward to 2012 and drop this dull subject

Impartial One

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

I can honestly say that watching a Leicester meeting on updates is more exciting than watching it at the track. Hopefully that's not the case next year although some are suggesting that despite Glyn's willingness to change things, Hemsley believes the track is fine.

Make no mistake, if the product isn't improved next year they will lose customers

Montie!!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

But is BP any worse racing than some of the other tracks in the UK??

Big Fat Dave!!! (don’t count your chickens)

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:10 AM

I've only been to Beaumont Leys once but I'll be back for sure, and when the first year's teething troubles are out of the way and the track is conducive to good racing I'm sure many more will be in attendance

A very interesting read - and amazingly committed research Mick (haven't you got any work to do!? :lol: )

Many contrasting opinions - and it's notable that a large number of those names don't bother posting any more. Have they walked away, or simply got fed up of the debate? Whatever, there are too many in agreement for the poor track to be a non-issue.

Very interesting. Would just like to say that Liontamer is definitely not Dave Howard but I think he is still one of the believers. Can't say I've ever seen anything negative from him on here and he gets quite 'uptight' with fans that do. :D

Very interesting. Would just like to say that Liontamer is definitely not Dave Howard but I think he is still one of the believers. Can't say I've ever seen anything negative from him on here and he gets quite 'uptight' with fans that do. :D

Not sure what has lead me down that road but my unreserved apolgies to Mr Howard!

Edited by volty

A very interesting read - and amazingly committed research Mick (haven't you got any work to do!? :lol: )

Many contrasting opinions - and it's notable that a large number of those names don't bother posting any more. Have they walked away, or simply got fed up of the debate? Whatever, there are too many in agreement for the poor track to be a non-issue.

Not quite walked away but no longer a regular, by that I mean I go along less and less and I will probably only watch 3 or 4 meetings this year. The reason is simple - there are more interesting ways to spend my hard earned cash than watching gating practice, I don't feel that a visit to BP offers value for money.

I have no axe to grind with anyone, but a businesss that fails to take heed of it's customers needs will find hard times are looming. Unless "real" changes are made to the track I would guess that support will at best stagnate and at worst reduce to a level that's uneconomic. I hope I'm wrong and honestly wish the Lions and the promotion every success.

For a balanced view, I agree you should get out more Mick!