British Speedway Forum

THE track surface looked (and indeed was) much lighter in appearance than recent years because on Friday morning a considerable amount of lime was laid and then graded into to help suck out the excessive moisture.

JUST out of interest KK BROKE THE TRACK RECORD ON THAT TRACK,HOW?.Who was the time keeper?

Very easy explanation of why the track record was broken despite last night's awful track conditions.

A surface like that gives you more grip than usual (and therefore more speed) but with the risk that you won't be able to control a good chunk of that extra grip/speed because it's so unpredictable ... anyone who managed four laps without any scary moments on the way was going to post a quick time.

The infamous 2004 PLRC at Sheffield on Sky was an even better example of what I've just explained than last night's action ... lengthy protests by the riders meant the coverage over-ran by 40 minutes but the race times were some of the quickest all season ... it all ended up with Andre Compton and Simon Stead both riding like maniacs against each other in the final leading to their pile-up on the 3rd bend of the final lap about which Sheffield and Workington fans will never agree (Mark Lemon was the first past the chequered flag but Compton was awarded the title several minutes later with priority being given to the medical checks for both Compton and the excluded Stead before the verdict was announced).

Edited by arthur cross

I was happy with the profit made from Emil winning but would have preferred the returns had nicki won.

Kasprzak each way @ 33/1 was one of the best bets of the weekend

So you agree that escluding one's fellow counrtyman when they clip another rider was absolutely correct.

Mind he probably should have excluded that track that meant a minor coming together became something much worse than it should have.

Niamh

No what I mean is that buckling to pressure knowing that excluding a rider from his home gp is taboo he instead used the only rider in the area as a scape goat. Two sources state there was NO contact between the two riders.

I was there and I reckon there was. Plenty of other posters also say Freddie made contact with his leg.

speedwaygp.com is not always the best source of information... look how well they kept folk informed about the track!

Niamh

Edited by Niamh

I too was there. As I said previously any contact that may have been was minimal and is seen hundreds of times with no rider crossing the whole width of the bend and plowing into an opponent. Just happens to be the same opponent he ploughed into two GPs ago.

I have been privileged to information regarding the shale used yesterday and I wonder if Ole and his crew should have reacted earlier in the week by maybe getting new shale delivered to lay track as per Mon/Tues .Apparently the shale was not under cover at Newport but left outside on the Docks area whether it had been moved out during the closed season or just in the last month or so,or not been put in in the first place.The moisture content is tested with a probe pushed in in different places and I think ,but I,m sure ,an acceptable figure is around 5% to 7% to lay track and work it .The reported reading taken at start of the week was 17% .Obviously way over and working in side where you don,t get permanent sunshine(when we get any) or wind the drying process is virtually non existent .This reading should have been taken at the onset of work and IMO measures should have been implemented to get other shale providers within the uk to load up and get to Cardiff post haste.Breedon Quarries have been mentioned ref last night,s shale but it didnt come from them as having worked with their shale at Cardiff in previous years and at Coventry also ,last night the shale was different in colour (a lot lighter) and the texture and it looked to me as if sand had been mixed in with what ever they were passing off as shale.A lot of people have knocked track prep at Cardiff over the years and it was crap when we started but it has been the best indoor track for about the last 5 to 6 years haven,t been involved since 2011, but last night was very poor and dangerous .Well done to all the riders for giving it a go Commiserations to Tai .Unfortunately once again we are talking about Cardiff for all the wrong reasons,.Hopefully we will get an honest explanation on what happened but I won,t hold my breath likewise if I am proved wrong I will apologise but I don,t think that will be necessary.

Good technical explanation thank you.

The only reason I have read to justify Lindgrens exclusion is that he "came in a bit fast" is that not the point of the sport?

A terrible decision from the ref.

eeer... no. You overtake in a safe manner, the same in racing sports, think F1 and a car coming in too fast and tapping the side of another car, not much, just enough to spin the car out. It is all because the overtaking car came in a bit too fast for the corner.

• Like 1

But if it was Tai coming up the inside Freddie would have taken a dive/ faked it/ bottled it/ couldn't handle it/ etc etc. Wrong call, Tao was at fault.

Reckless? What trying to make a pass that any other rider would have went for. Maybe time for Tai to man up and stop riding like a woman. This after all is the World Championship. Riders will go for gaps. We could say Tai came down on Freddie, maybe he knew Freddie was having him. But then that couldnt possibly be true as that would mean Tai being to blame.

Dontforgetthefueltapsbruv they do say karma is a bitch :)

Are you for real?