British Speedway Forum
Irk Deflector

Wolves V Birmingham Play Off Semi 1st Leg - 23rd September

Hoping for a Swindon v Wolves final and a chance of revenge for the other year ...I think these semi final matches look the best since the start of the play offs and both could be close rather than the walk overs we have tended to see over the years . Just need the weather to play ball now .

Edited by orion
  • Like 3

Do T/R's come into play when 10 behind on the night or on aggregate ?.

If it's on the night then that rule needs changing for a play off situation, it can't be right Wolves could potentially use a T/R when 10 down at Perry Barr, but only 2 down on aggregate.

Yes they can be used and no they won't be changed. They are the rules as per the start of the season.

I agree that there is a good argument they are not necessary in 2 legged play off matches, however, any change like that should be made before team building commences.

• Like 2

Pontus rode well last night. Nic was good when he gated, poor at the back (about par) but overall far better than earlier in the year.

I wouldn't be averse to Pontus for the home leg, Klindt for the away, but suspect they'll go with continuity and book Klindt for both.

If Ricky Wells can take last nights form into next week it could give Wolves the edge.

Have Birmingham made the right call going for a big crowd v Wolves in the semi? Traditionally the semi gates aren't anywhere near as big as those for the final. Maybe as its a local derby that will be different.

I am so pumped for next week now, love the play offs. Team speedway in front of a big crowd with a tense atmosphere, it gets no better! Bring it on!

Couldnt have said it any better. I have a worry with any guest for Jacob as they are unlikely to be able to score what he was doing.

Instinct says Klindt for both meetings as guest.

Hoping for a Swindon v Wolves final and a chance of revenge for the other year ...

That would be perfect.............................................. well with the same result of course.

Do T/R's come into play when 10 behind on the night or on aggregate ?.

10 behind on the night which is usually why a team likes to ride at home first. Get a 12+ lead and then defend it using a TR at the right time ..... bit like Skornicki did at Swindon :party:

Brummies have gone for the money match because if they make the final they will have two massive gates. Also fair play to Birmingham (Swindon/Poole) for agreeing to Wolves riding at home in the first leg incase Tai settles the World Title on Saturday.

At the start of the season, we hoped that with a strong top two and some potential lower order riders we could make the play offs ...... but it's remarkable to think Britain could be showing off the WORLD CHAMPION in less than a week

• Like 1

The form, or lack of it, from Miskowiak is a big concern. With Proctor and Thorsell in the side I wouldhave been quietly confidant but without them........................................ Small home win for Wolves and an aggregate win for the Brummies. Whatever happens don't want Poole to win it!

• Like 2

The form, or lack of it, from Miskowiak is a big concern. With Proctor and Thorsell in the side I wouldhave been quietly confidant but without them........................................ Small home win for Wolves and an aggregate win for the Brummies. Whatever happens don't want Poole to win it!

Although anyone who qualifies for the play offs are capable of winning it and should not be under estimated, I'd say Poole are the least likely of the 4, still think their lower order is very suspect away from home against top opposition.

As I've said all season, I still expect a Brum v Swindon final, but I fully expect the Wolves to make us work for it.

Now you mention the T/R rule, that probably explains why Swindon are keen to be at home first, get over 10 infront then have effectively a free tactical as backup at Poole.

Edited by david2905

Now you mention the T/R rule, that probably explains why Swindon are keen to be at home first, get over 10 infront then have effectively a free tactical as backup at Poole.

What do you mean by a 'free' tactical.

What do you mean by a 'free' tactical.

If they win the 1st leg by more than 10 points, they can use a T/R in the 2nd leg without actually going behind on aggregate, that's why I think the T/R rules need looking at for 2 legged matches.

Over 2 legs it would be better to have T/R based on the aggregate score than score on the night.

Edited by david2905

So, lets say they win the first leg by 10 points, but the away team has used 2 TR's and won them both, you feel it would be unfair Swindon could use at TR in the 2nd leg because they haven't gone behind on aggregate?

Your thinking is a little flawed there.

You do have a point in that there is no need for TR's in playoff matches as it can create a situation where one side gets to use them and the other does not, creating an imbalance. The 2007? final between Reading and Peterboro being the most notable when I think Peterboro used 4 TR's to Readings 0 and won as a result.

However, the rules are as they are, both side know in advance and teams will utilise the TR's as and when needed.

I can see where your coming from, but your assuming a team would go 10 infront in the 1st leg before heat 12 so T/R's could actually be used, therefore one team is denied T/R's in the 1st leg, but the other could potentially use them in the 2nd leg.

I can see where your coming from, but your assuming a team would go 10 infront in the 1st leg before heat 12 so T/R's could actually be used, therefore one team is denied T/R's in the 1st leg, but the other could potentially use them in the 2nd leg.

In the same way you are assuming they won't and the team in the 2nd leg will.

• Like 1

Either you have TRs as now, or you don't have them. Not some bastardisation.

Either you have TRs as now, or you don't have them. Not some bastardisation.

Correct. And any changes are made at the AGM. Not at the end of the season.

Best of luck to Birmingham Brummies in topping the league, and in the next two weeks, you deserve you spot in the limelight. Don't be frightened of Monmore, ride it!!!

Hoping for a Swindon v Wolves final and a chance of revenge for the other year ...I think these semi final matches look the best since the start of the play offs and both could be close rather than the walk overs we have tended to see over the years . Just need the weather to play ball now .

Ah, and you were going so well!