British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry Bees 2014

At Brandon on Saturday for the Stockcars so lets see what the tracks like for that....

maybe the stocks will sort the track out

Will pack it down, as its fully booked next week, so around 80 odd cars there.

At Brandon on Saturday for the Stockcars so lets see what the tracks like for that....

I'll perhaps get to see it earlier than that......unless the N.L. meeting has been called off?

Will pack it down, as its fully booked next week, so around 80 odd cars there.

Don,t think you or anyone else realise just how bad the problem with the original hole was which originates from 2011 Oct.When I can work out how to get pictures up on attachment to your post, then I think the you and many others will genuinely see the problem which has been ongoing .I will post pics tomorrow when my wife (who is much cleverer than me computer wise ) sorts it out cant do now as she is evil if I wake her up after she,s gone up to bed for her beauty sleep :D. Fingers crossed she finds that bit funny :neutral: . Just to say it won,t be packed down after the cars have finished .The photos have been on my phone since that night as it was one of my worst nights as a Track Curator in 10+ years .

Edited by FTM

I`ve been here through good and bad and have given Mick my full backing from day one. I don`t just pop up everytime Mick appears to have egg on his face. No doubt in three years time and likely less all the Mick moaners will have nowt to complain about they`ll have to move on to some other poor devil. To say who needs fans like you to me must be the most humungus mis calculation of all time its totally the opposite . Its fans like you that the Bees can do without fair weather fans I think they`re called.

I`ve been here through good and bad and have given Mick my full backing from day one. I don`t just pop up everytime Mick appears to have egg on his face. No doubt in three years time and likely less all the Mick moaners will have nowt to complain about they`ll have to move on to some other poor devil. To say who needs fans like you to me must be the most humungus mis calculation of all time its totally the opposite . Its fans like you that the Bees can do without fair weather fans I think they`re called.

Trouble with you is your so blinkered and you can't accept that people don't always see it your way therefore we are not entitled to an opinion. I may not have been to as many meetings as you or whatever but i would say I do about 95% of home meetings which I wouldn't call fair weather. I also feel that if you can't take criticism then don't dish it out. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, pity you can't respect others.

• Like 1

You are deluded I'm afraid. Speedway cancelled having had no rain. Your point now IS???????????????????

My point is still the same - I have a lot of time for people who have the humilty to say they have made a mistake/said the wrong thing in the heat of the moment and come out publicly and say they were wrong. Whereas, I have have no respect whatsoever for so called supporters to sit behind their keyboard and slag off promoters in this extremely difficult economic climate but haven't the guts to speak to the man in person!

I don't think you have made a point yet.....................

Edited by TesarRacing
  • Like 3

As an outsider, I really feel for you Bees fans. If this scenario was happening at Lynn it would seriously question my indulgence into the sport. Here we are, wanting to appeal to all and sundry to promote to bigger gates, and the two parties involved are too wrapped up in petty argument as to whom s to blame, forgetting the main reason why we go to watch the sport.

I know we all need to support our club, but it has to be both ways. Our support needs to be appreciated and not just looked at . as money coming through the turnstiles. Not wanting to proportion blame, but the main parties involved here haven't put much emphasis into the importance of the spectators up to now.

Let hope, this lull in proceedings, will allows the two main parties to get their act together, and concentrate all their efforts in putting on meetings us supporters want to see, and hope it's not too late to rekindle the damage that has undoubtedly been done.

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 4

My point is still the same - I have a lot of time for people who have the humilty to say they have made a mistake/said the wrong thing in the heat of the moment and come out publicly and say they were wrong. Whereas, I have have no respect whatsoever for so called supporters to sit behind their keyboard and slag off promoters in this extremely difficult economic climate but haven't the guts to speak to the man in person!

I don't think you have made a point yet.....................

The point you seem to miss is that all those who went to confront mick wasted their time as nothing is any different and I said at the time I certainly was not going to waste my time. If you think I don't have the guts to confront someone and I mean anyone you are so sadly very mistaken and how in your infinite wisdom can you say that about anyone you know nothing about or are you in your opinion above the rest of us...????

• Like 1

Taken from CET: Stadium officials remain adamant they will resolve the ongoing track issues

A miserable week ended with yet another speedway postponement at Brandon on Friday but stadium officials remain adamant they will resolve the ongoing track issues.

Frantic work on the circuit during the week was hoped to have been concluded in time for the Buildbase Bees to face Birmingham on Friday, with heavy rain the previous day putting those efforts in jeopardy.

There was natural frustration all round when it became clear that the meeting still could not go ahead, with the postponement being made at 5.20pm, but although that didnt suit everyone it was nothing like the scale of PR disaster of the previous weekend.

Stadium head of operations Jeremy Heaver said: Weve worked through torrential rain, a monsoon, the dry, sunny and dusty bits, the frustrating bits and finally on Friday the cancelled bits.

Weve been changing the composition of the shale, weve increased the amount of stone because there was too much clay in the track.

The clay holds the water which is a good thing in the hot summer but a bad thing at this time of year, so weve been adding stone and shale to the track to get rid of some of the clay, and change the mix and composition so it will drain better.

It will be more like the track was when I joined Coventry twelve years ago. We will get that track back, but it takes time its not as simple as people think, just adding a few stones.

Weve had four articulated lorry-loads of stone come in, but you cant put it all on in one go. You have to put a very fine layer on, then mix the shale in, and if youre doing that and it rains you have a big problem.

There was one little area which caught the rain, and we were trying everything we could all day to squeeze and push it like a sponge to get that last bit of moisture out. We may have achieved it by 7pm but we couldnt take that risk.

There were thunderstorms and lightning all around so although it did stay dry I just couldnt guarantee that until 9.30.

The postponement means the Bees will not race at Brandon until April 11 when they face Kings Lynn, although there is a National League match against Scunthorpe scheduled for this Friday.

With a tough trip to Swindon on Thursday, it means Bees face a far trickier start to the season than an on-paper highly winnable home match against Birmingham.

Heaver added: It is very unfortunate because all the staff were looking forward to it. The stadium owner (Sandhu) was looking forward to it, so was Mick (Horton) and naturally he wanted it on.

Were one big team here, and although there have been things in the press we are a happy family.

We only have one objective here which is to see the best speedway to get that it takes the best track, and that takes time when it gets out of sync in terms of composition.

The City Gearboxes Storms National League match at Devon on Saturday also fell victim to the weather, and they now visit Cradley in the Travel Plus Trophy tomorrow.

Taken from CET: Stadium officials remain adamant they will resolve the ongoing track issues

A miserable week ended with yet another speedway postponement at Brandon on Friday but stadium officials remain adamant they will resolve the ongoing track issues.

Frantic work on the circuit during the week was hoped to have been concluded in time for the Buildbase Bees to face Birmingham on Friday, with heavy rain the previous day putting those efforts in jeopardy.

There was natural frustration all round when it became clear that the meeting still could not go ahead, with the postponement being made at 5.20pm, but although that didnt suit everyone it was nothing like the scale of PR disaster of the previous weekend.

Stadium head of operations Jeremy Heaver said: Weve worked through torrential rain, a monsoon, the dry, sunny and dusty bits, the frustrating bits and finally on Friday the cancelled bits.

Weve been changing the composition of the shale, weve increased the amount of stone because there was too much clay in the track.

The clay holds the water which is a good thing in the hot summer but a bad thing at this time of year, so weve been adding stone and shale to the track to get rid of some of the clay, and change the mix and composition so it will drain better.

It will be more like the track was when I joined Coventry twelve years ago. We will get that track back, but it takes time its not as simple as people think, just adding a few stones.

Weve had four articulated lorry-loads of stone come in, but you cant put it all on in one go. You have to put a very fine layer on, then mix the shale in, and if youre doing that and it rains you have a big problem.

There was one little area which caught the rain, and we were trying everything we could all day to squeeze and push it like a sponge to get that last bit of moisture out. We may have achieved it by 7pm but we couldnt take that risk.

There were thunderstorms and lightning all around so although it did stay dry I just couldnt guarantee that until 9.30.

The postponement means the Bees will not race at Brandon until April 11 when they face Kings Lynn, although there is a National League match against Scunthorpe scheduled for this Friday.

With a tough trip to Swindon on Thursday, it means Bees face a far trickier start to the season than an on-paper highly winnable home match against Birmingham.

Heaver added: It is very unfortunate because all the staff were looking forward to it. The stadium owner (Sandhu) was looking forward to it, so was Mick (Horton) and naturally he wanted it on.

Were one big team here, and although there have been things in the press we are a happy family.

We only have one objective here which is to see the best speedway to get that it takes the best track, and that takes time when it gets out of sync in terms of composition.

The City Gearboxes Storms National League match at Devon on Saturday also fell victim to the weather, and they now visit Cradley in the Travel Plus Trophy tomorrow.

At least it seems there isn't the friction between stadium and promoter that some of us suggested.

At least it seems there isn't the friction between stadium and promoter that some of us suggested.

It seems that they`re accepting responsibility for the state of the track which they should have done in the first place. It will take a few meetings before anybody has any confidence in it standing upto the rain.

It seems that they`re accepting responsibility for the state of the track which they should have done in the first place. It will take a few meetings before anybody has any confidence in it standing upto the rain.

They always accepted responsibility for the track preparation, it was the very late call off of the ELRC that they put at Horton's door. Let's face it there wouldn't have been anything like the same disaster if it had been called off on the Saturday or even on the Sunday morning.

However, the important thing now is that they seem to be working together. The last thing anyone wants to see is the end of speedway at Brandon.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

The point you seem to miss is that all those who went to confront mick wasted their time as nothing is any different and I said at the time I certainly was not going to waste my time. If you think I don't have the guts to confront someone and I mean anyone you are so sadly very mistaken and how in your infinite wisdom can you say that about anyone you know nothing about or are you in your opinion above the rest of us...????

I confronted Mick last season and we actually agreed to meet up and talk in his office. He's a very humble man, who perhaps loses things in the heat of the moment. He was very open to anything I said or questioned and very understanding. Some people think he's out to ruin speedway. He's not, and I can tell from when I met him that he is very passionate.

He has made a lot of mistakes, but no one is perfect. I still get frustrated with him and his decisions sometimes but he has a heart of gold and he is doing his damn best to promote Coventry Speedway. Anybody who has any doubts or concern towards Mick should just speak to him in person. He's a humble guy.

This isn't a dig at you, Had. Just merely saying what I experienced last year.

Edited by Adam Vickers
  • Like 5

They always accepted responsibility for the track preparation, it was the very late call off of the ELRC that they put at Horton's door. Let's face it there wouldn't have been anything like the same disaster if it had been called off on the Saturday or even on the Sunday morning.

However, the important thing now is that they seem to be working together. The last thing anyone wants to see is the end of speedway at Brandon.

They made a mess of the track and shifted the blame onto Mick. They should have come straight out with it that they had made a mullock instead of letting Mick saddle all the blame

Edited by dornier