British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry Bees 2014

Sandhu and Mick were both quoted at the time as saying there were other interested parties. When was the last time a club closed down due to no promoter being able to be found? It just doesn't happen. That's not to say anyone else would have done any better.

Would anyone want to take over now considering the stadium is up for sale? Id very much doubt it. So whether you like it or not we are stuck with Horton.

badger1969

I never had any dealings with Mick when I was at Peterborough/Oxford because my paycheck was paid by the promoter Colin Horton a lot of fans always comment on this without knowing anything about what happened but lets face it thats the mentality of some fans with most clubs .I,ve now probably upset a lot of people but when you get covered in S**T it sticks to you and a lot of people enjoy rubbing it in but and its a BIG BUT most of the time it ai,nt your fault

HAD

In answer to your question no I don,t have proof I wasn,t party to Sandhu,s dealings and I would imagine nobody else on here was either but I was involved with both promotions as Trackman so you hear things the normal fan doesn,t

all you get from them two is doom and gloom
  • Like 2

It really makes me sad to read most of the posts regarding Coventry, you call yourselves fans but don't lòók at the big picture. All the riders race for money, they don't want to get beaten as if you earn one point per meeting you are losing money week in week out. The travel expenses are poor, the price of equipment to remain competitive is ridiculous, an engine service is anything from £300-700. On average if you have two bikes, a mechanic, travel 100miles round trip, fuel, oil, tyre, tear offs, wear and tear on the motor and equipment such as clutches, chains, lubrication, etc you will be lucky if you break even. I've worked with many riders at Elite league level and Premier league, and believe me unless you are scoring 8 points plus you make nothing. It's only the top boys who get the big bucks via sponsorship and signing on fees. Ok, yes there will always be a kind individual who will come along and give the rider some cash which is excellent, but this is rare. The fans want to go and spend a day or two with the rider, race prep, travelling, racing and then travelling home, getting home at silly o'clock loading the washing machine up, unloading the van, stripping bikes ready for the wash in a few hours, quick bite to eat, shower bed at 1am. Up at 7am, bite to eat, take the gear out the washer, hoping it's a dry day to dry the kevlars, set up the jet wash, get some washing equipment and start washing, spend at least 3-5hours washing and rebuilding the bike, loading the van, bite to eat, shower and off in the van for hopefully a trouble free trip. Arrive at the track, unload the van, set up in the pits, get the bike finally prepared for the first ride. And it starts all over again. All that effort for one or two points, believe me is never worth the grief you get from some fans who say he doesn't try.

• Like 9

It really makes me sad to read most of the posts regarding Coventry, you call yourselves fans but don't lòók at the big picture. All the riders race for money, they don't want to get beaten as if you earn one point per meeting you are losing money week in week out. The travel expenses are poor, the price of equipment to remain competitive is ridiculous, an engine service is anything from £300-700. On average if you have two bikes, a mechanic, travel 100miles round trip, fuel, oil, tyre, tear offs, wear and tear on the motor and equipment such as clutches, chains, lubrication, etc you will be lucky if you break even. I've worked with many riders at Elite league level and Premier league, and believe me unless you are scoring 8 points plus you make nothing. It's only the top boys who get the big bucks via sponsorship and signing on fees. Ok, yes there will always be a kind individual who will come along and give the rider some cash which is excellent, but this is rare. The fans want to go and spend a day or two with the rider, race prep, travelling, racing and then travelling home, getting home at silly o'clock loading the washing machine up, unloading the van, stripping bikes ready for the wash in a few hours, quick bite to eat, shower bed at 1am. Up at 7am, bite to eat, take the gear out the washer, hoping it's a dry day to dry the kevlars, set up the jet wash, get some washing equipment and start washing, spend at least 3-5hours washing and rebuilding the bike, loading the van, bite to eat, shower and off in the van for hopefully a trouble free trip. Arrive at the track, unload the van, set up in the pits, get the bike finally prepared for the first ride. And it starts all over again. All that effort for one or two points, believe me is never worth the grief you get from some fans who say he doesn't try.

Interesting post RR thanks. I'd just like to point out that it isn't all Coventry fans that have said that certain riders don't try and if you look at any teams threads over a season you will see it on most of them too.. :neutral:

• Like 1

All that effort for one or two points, believe me is never worth the grief you get from some fans who say he doesn't try.

You were doing fine up to then. Well if it's not worth it, I suggest they go and stack shelves for Tesco, no grief from fans there!

The only rider Coventry fans have criticized for not trying is K.K. and I believe this is quite warranted when he just rides round at the back putting no effort in. It is plain to see he is not bothered and to make matters worse he does well when riding for himself the day before or after the E.L. fixture. Scott hasn't had a brilliant season but he always gives 100% so he doesn't get criticized because fans appreciate a rider that is obviously trying his best - that's all we ask for and it doesn't always happen no matter what reasons you have given in your post.

• Like 5

You were doing fine up to then. Well if it's not worth it, I suggest they go and stack shelves for Tesco, no grief from fans there!

Hang on a minute, how would you feel if you went to work, got paid but was short week in week out, even though you put 100% effort in everyday? I feel SOME fans need to think before they shout. I agree that every single fan has the right to comment but not to slate riders for trying to race and earn, I've read the criticism given to the riders, the management etc, but ultimately they are trying all they know to improve, the management may not be flavour of the season, but lòók at Birmingham, they are struggling financially, they are in the play offs. There are so many clubs struggling, but kicking the management and riders when they are trying I feel is unfair.

However, everyone has their own opinion, I thougt I would share some insight of what a rider goes through just to get on the track.

• Like 4

Hang on a minute, how would you feel if you went to work, got paid but was short week in week out, even though you put 100% effort in everyday? I feel SOME fans need to think before they shout. I agree that every single fan has the right to comment but not to slate riders for trying to race and earn, I've read the criticism given to the riders, the management etc, but ultimately they are trying all they know to improve, the management may not be flavour of the season, but lòók at Birmingham, they are struggling financially, they are in the play offs. There are so many clubs struggling, but kicking the management and riders when they are trying I feel is unfair.

However, everyone has their own opinion, I thougt I would share some insight of what a rider goes through just to get on the track.

I don't see what not being paid has to do with fans criticizing.

FWIW, I have had a client question what I have done (clients being the customer so in effect the supporter) and I thought it was harsh so had to justify what I had done. But i accepted that's how it works as they paid my wages, as I said, if I didn't like it i could have gone to work for Tesco where there is very little presure but there are not the rewards either.

It's not the fans fault the riders don't get paid, the fans have to pay up front. Your issue there is with the promoters/management and not the fans. My issue with your post is the claim it's NEVER worth the grief, well if it's not worth it then don't do it. Nobody is making them.

FWIW you've missed my point, but hey ho carry on!

So what is your point?

badger1969

I never had any dealings with Mick when I was at Peterborough/Oxford because my paycheck was paid by the promoter Colin Horton a lot of fans always comment on this without knowing anything about what happened but lets face it thats the mentality of some fans with most clubs .I,ve now probably upset a lot of people but when you get covered in S**T it sticks to you and a lot of people enjoy rubbing it in but and its a BIG BUT most of the time it ai,nt your fault

HAD

In answer to your question no I don,t have proof I wasn,t panrty to Sandhu,s dealings and I would imagine nobody else on here was either but I was involved with both promotions as Trackman so you hear things the normal fan doesn,t

Oh hearsay and gossip then BADGER...!!! Why who's fault would you say it was then because IMO the buck stops with the promoter. End of.

Took me 10 minutes to read this post due to the tears on my eyes.,

Blah, blah, blah. ........

Get a life man.

Pot kettle what?

Sorry, should have said "get a life (wo)man"

Not a proper blokes pile of shi@e