British Speedway Forum
bennyr

Eastbourne 2014

So your going to be an Eastie fan now then??? :rofl:

He is only let out from the old folks home Monday to Friday and has to goes back to Eastbourne at the weekends.

It is easy to criticise from the comfort of a chair and keyboard, but how many of us would continue to pour money into a business, with no thanks and receive just criticism and snide comments?

Bob D is 75, he has had one bout of heart surgery this year, possibly more needed.

This season the loss May be in the region of 70K, add that to previous years losses and you are talking of one he'll of a lot of money out of his pocket.

And people say he is doing things "on the cheap"!

He is trying to keep the sport alive in this country by keeping the club running, rather than letting it join the list with Wimbledon, Hackney, Canterbury, Rayleigh, Romford, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, and a whole lot more.

And yet all he gets is snide comments and criticism!

• Like 4

Read/heard somewhere that a break even estimate for EL (with Sky money) requires roughly 1200, PL 600 and NL 300. On my travels those sort of crowd levels seem to turn out for those respective leagues. If Bob is getting 700 then its a simple descision, go PL next year. Everyone wins, hardcore support get their speedway and no missing GP riders. Back in the day Eagles were traditionally a 2nd Division track anyway.

• Like 1

PL and Sunday afternoon meetings might just do it

Or bobs sells it and that's the end of another track

To me some speedway is better than none

I made a trip down to Eastbourne this season, I remain so disappointed with the track, if it was my local track I dunno if I would be a fan at all!! I always tell people about how the track would have been where the stock car track is had Bob not been at Martin's birth, it is true isn't it? If only eh!

Edited by Trees

It is easy to criticise from the comfort of a chair and keyboard, but how many of us would continue to pour money into a business, with no thanks and receive just criticism and snide comments?

Bob D is 75, he has had one bout of heart surgery this year, possibly more needed.

This season the loss May be in the region of 70K, add that to previous years losses and you are talking of one he'll of a lot of money out of his pocket.

And people say he is doing things "on the cheap"!

He is trying to keep the sport alive in this country by keeping the club running, rather than letting it join the list with Wimbledon, Hackney, Canterbury, Rayleigh, Romford, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, and a whole lot more.

And yet all he gets is snide comments and criticism!

I admire and respect all Promoters who have the balls to put their money where their mouth is in these difficult times, and I would put Bob in that category.

However he always said he had the bigger cheque book. Maybe times have changed down Eastbourne way.

I made a trip down to Eastbourne this season, I remain so disappointed with the track, if it was my local track I dunno if I would be a fan at all!! I always tell people about how the track would have been where the stock car track is had Bob not been at Martin's birth, it is true isn't it? If only eh!

What exactly disappointed you with the track Trees? Forgive me if I'm wrong but you seem to be implying that the speedway track should be bigger. If you are indeed implying that then my simple question to you would be why? :unsure:

Bob has set out his thoughts in the press.

With respect, does he seriously think the GP circus will operate on anything but a saturday night?

Drastic changes are needed IMO -

No GP riders for the current season to be allowed in the British league.

Elite & Premier to combine into 2 leagues with a North/South split. (I'm sure some Premier teams will probably hate that).

Full home & away fixtures.

Eastbourne to run on a sunday afternoon.

Now bracing myself for a barrage of criticism....

Edited by Guest

What disappointed me about the track, basically the shape, the size and the bumps going down the pits straight always bug me, I don't find it an exciting track I guess, there's no flow to it .......

With respect, does he seriously think the GP circus will operate on anything but a saturday night?

Elite & Premier to combine into 2 leagues with a North/South split. (I'm sure some Premier teams will probably hate that).

Not criticisms, just views. Bob has said on many occasions that he won't go PL. I think he may well have to think about it this time though and I for one wouldn't mind. We're a weekend track with a small catchment area so quite limited on options. The GPs and now European Championship are making it difficult to attract riders so can't see this improving anytime soon. If we do stay EL then I think the team will stay roughly the same (If comments in the clubhouse by officials after Sussex Championship are anything to go by). We may possibly see a Kennett/Gustafsson swap but not much else, which, if the points limits are dropped, won't put us in a bad place.

Whatever happens, Bob D owes us absolutely nothing. I'm ok with the track but am aware it's not to everybody else's taste. It's interesting that a lot of riders comment on how well it's prepared and heap praise on Bob. Each to their own...

Not criticisms, just views. Bob has said on many occasions that he won't go PL. I think he may well have to think about it this time though and I for one wouldn't mind. We're a weekend track with a small catchment area so quite limited on options. The GPs and now European Championship are making it difficult to attract riders so can't see this improving anytime soon. If we do stay EL then I think the team will stay roughly the same (If comments in the clubhouse by officials after Sussex Championship are anything to go by). We may possibly see a Kennett/Gustafsson swap but not much else, which, if the points limits are dropped, won't put us in a bad place.

Whatever happens, Bob D owes us absolutely nothing. I'm ok with the track but am aware it's not to everybody else's taste. It's interesting that a lot of riders comment on how well it's prepared and heap praise on Bob. Each to their own...

Eastie should have gone PL a long time ago and ride on Sunday afternoon..do themselves and the EL a favour

I actually attended the double header this year and the stadium hasn't changed for years, paid to park in a field, a charge to sit on a plank of wood, covered in dust from the very first heat because the owners hadn't watered it properly and toilets that I could smell from 75 feet away, I won't mention the racing because their wasn't any, it was over generally by the first corner and the track was as slick as I have always seen it.

That's got Arena Essex out of the way....

What did you think of Arlington ??

What disappointed me about the track, basically the shape

What shape do you usually have? Mickey Mouse shape? Smarties shape? Amphibious landing craft shape? Poke in the eye shape?

basil_dining_room.png

A bit unfair. EB is a great place, real traditional family run speedway club, its how they should all be. I'm Lakeside but I always pop down there a couple of times during the summer, and stay up the road at the campsite and walk down so i can have afew beers. Always a good night out.

• Like 2

Eastie should have gone PL a long time ago and ride on Sunday afternoon..do themselves and the EL a favour

Why do the EL a favour?

A bit unfair. EB is a great place, real traditional family run speedway club, its how they should all be. I'm Lakeside but I always pop down there a couple of times during the summer, and stay up the road at the campsite and walk down so i can have afew beers. Always a good night out.

Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree re the family atmosphere of the club, the presenter is great etc, I just dislike the track . .