British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

Not so. 2 good reserves could give you an 6-8 point advantage over the two reserve races and that is a lot to make up for any top 5.

Why the hell did we pick Tom Perry & Max Clegg?

We had 4th choice so we could have Steve Worrall Simon Lambert but we picked Tom Perry who had a shocking season last year.

This meant we had 2nd pick in the 2nd round of selection with the following left.

Joe Jacobs,Simon Lambert,Lee Smart,Dan Halsey,James Sarjeant,Ben Morley,Ben Hopwood,Daryl Ritchings , Dan Greenwood.

We pick 3rd from bottom of the list Max Clegg someone who still rides in the MDL & gets beaten.

Why did we not picked proven PL reserves like Jacobs, Lambert or Smart ????? This is a massive typical Leicester cock up to pick a rider who has lost all the potenial he had & an MDL standard rider.

Leicester now need a big top 5 to cover the weakest reserves pairing in the league but sadly i feel we will have a cheap patched up side so nothing but the "Belle Vue" Wooden Spoon award

you no what lionking,maybe you should put your name forward and get on a bike yourself.To$$er.Praise to leicester for giving these boys a chance,afterall isnt that what this new rule is all about,bringing on the young english kids.Max is only 16 years old,and Tom HAS pl experience,who had a lot of health problems last year.Give them a break..Everyone is too quick to blame the reserves for a bad result when it should be the well paid more experienced main five that should be looked at.you go boys and enjoy it.

I am simply saying on last season Leicester have picked the weakest 2 riders of the group when better riders were availble.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion & mine is Tom Perry is not good enough for No6 while this is maybe a year or 2 too early for Max Clegg who undoubtedly has potential.

you no what lionking,maybe you should put your name forward and get on a bike yourself.To$$er.Praise to leicester for giving these boys a chance,afterall isnt that what this new rule is all about,bringing on the young english kids.Max is only 16 years old,and Tom HAS pl experience,who had a lot of health problems last year.Give them a break..Everyone is too quick to blame the reserves for a bad result when it should be the well paid more experienced main five that should be looked at.you go boys and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Just ignore everything he posts,he's a wind up merchant without anything constructive to say.

He seems to think he is being "controversial"......berk!

Oh Hello I'm back !! Been busy for a couple of days , Trawling through old Leicester threads , Trying to find a post where Mrcts said something relevant to whatever was being debated , Sadly I didn't manage to find any , not even an attempt to voice an actual opinion just a myriad of jibes at anyone who did although I did find endless personal attacks , at one point I actually thought I had found something , only to have my hopes dashed when I realised it was just more blinkered rubbish of no substance ,

Why the hell did we pick Tom Perry & Max Clegg?

We had 4th choice so we could have Steve Worrall Simon Lambert but we picked Tom Perry who had a shocking season last year.

This meant we had 2nd pick in the 2nd round of selection with the following left.

Joe Jacobs,Simon Lambert,Lee Smart,Dan Halsey,James Sarjeant,Ben Morley,Ben Hopwood,Daryl Ritchings , Dan Greenwood.

We pick 3rd from bottom of the list Max Clegg someone who still rides in the MDL & gets beaten.

Why did we not picked proven PL reserves like Jacobs, Lambert or Smart ????? This is a massive typical Leicester cock up to pick a rider who has lost all the potenial he had & an MDL standard rider.

Leicester now need a big top 5 to cover the weakest reserves pairing in the league but sadly i feel we will have a cheap patched up side so nothing but the "Belle Vue" Wooden Spoon award

Well after the end of that crazy post. Let's hope u alone suffer some nasty defeats.

I am simply saying on last season Leicester have picked the weakest 2 riders of the group when better riders were availble.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion & mine is Tom Perry is not good enough for No6 while this is maybe a year or 2 too early for Max Clegg who undoubtedly has potential.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion,as is everone ,however i think telling the boys there not good enough even before they turn a wheel is a bit harsh,especially for a young 16 year old.(i hope max doesnt read these sort of coments}I have no doubt myself it will be tough on max,but the rules are made to help the young brits so please try encourage them before knocking them.one thing for sure they will both do there best whether they are first or last...best of luck again Max & Tom stay safe.

• Like 1

Yes you are entitled to your opinion,as is everone ,however i think telling the boys there not good enough even before they turn a wheel is a bit harsh,especially for a young 16 year old.(i hope max doesnt read these sort of coments}I have no doubt myself it will be tough on max,but the rules are made to help the young brits so please try encourage them before knocking them.one thing for sure they will both do there best whether they are first or last...best of luck again Max & Tom stay safe.

I agree with you but by the time you give your young guns time to settle in the season will be over with and it will do their confidence no good at all if they trail in last every race they take part in.

Thats not true. Coventry have loaned riders in and out.

There is a level of sarcasm in my original post SCB. We all know that's not the issue but if, heaven help us, it is, it shows a level of naivety from our promotion even I wasn't willing to attribute to them.

Luckily for Julia and David, there does still seem to be a high level of Lions fans willing to give the promotion the benefit of the doubt even when the truth about our new signings or lack thereof Is slapping them squarely around the chops!

Edited by volty

I agree with your sentiments, but to me this is possibly the biggest limitation of this system. Nobody, I think, is denigrating the riders, but it's clear that some are at an earlier stage in their development than others. If the 1-5 (who after all are the promotion's selection) are keeping it tight each week, only to lose because the young lads ('selected' from a limited choice) concede around ten points to the other team's reserves, it's going to be a horrible situation for everyone. The promoters will start to get twitchy as the team is failing, attendance may begin to fall, and the reserves confidence is going to take a massive dip. The pressure on the youngsters will be enourmous. I really hope I'm wrong about it, but I can see the top handful of reserves filling their boots, while the rest find it increasingly difficult.

Edited by Nellie

There is a level of sarcasm in my original post SCB. We all know that's not the issue but if, heaven help us, it is, it shows a level of naivety from our promotion even I wasn't willing to attribute to them.

Luckily for Julia and David, there does still seem to be a high level of Lions fans willing to give the promotion the benefit of the doubt even when the truth about our new signings or lack thereof Is slapping them squarely around the chops!

you should know better by now , sarcasm ,Irony and humor take a small amount of Intelligence to understand , something that a large proportion of the blinkered on here don't have , having said that even when you post something absolutely black and white ,they can still manage to read something to into it that isn't there

I wonder who it was that represented Leicester at the draft as I do have to agree that with the choices they had I would have not chosen the two riders the club did.

I believe that you have a gem in Max, having watched him develop in team speedway at Scunthorpe. Give him five or six meetings to find the best way around and he will surprise you how good he can be. He is one for the future and no doubt will find the challenge tough, BUT he will take on the challenge and get you some critical points.

My comment regarding reserves was a general one about having to use NL level riders in elite teams. I know littrle about Tom Perry but I have watched Max on 250 and 500 bikes and have a lot of respect for him. I have to agree he's an excellent prospect for the future.

My comment regarding reserves was a general one about having to use NL level riders in elite teams. I know littrle about Tom Perry but I have watched Max on 250 and 500 bikes and have a lot of respect for him. I have to agree he's an excellent prospect for the future.

Is Max Clegg anyone's asset?? If not, this could be quite a shrewd signing, young, still made of rubber, obviously had talent and if not tied to anyone, lets get him on our books! ! Simples!!