British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

Not coming from Leicester can anyone tell me what was there before the stadium was built. Was it a quarry or a tip.

not on this thread they can't :rofl:

• Like 1

Ha ha. Brilliant.

It is discussed elsewhere though, especially at Leicester City Council who own the land and have subsequently gained some lovely piles of mud they didn't have before. Everyone's a winner! ;)

I personally like the hilletts as they provide good shelter up to the stadium on the chilli windy nights

A message for Tom Perry:-

Read this thread and not the other one!

Dont think he will bother coming on here again!

as just examples among many, i think if your tractors are disappearing, issues regarding work involving plumbers / sponsors, then the management choosing to ignore the negative value of their season tickets, to me points to living beyond your means. My personal opinion of course, and i'd hate to be seen as just someone with a chip on their shoulder but I can't believe anyone at Leicester wasn't hearing these rumours among many, many others last year.

At the end the day though if DH can make it work for him then all good. I can't see it though and mainly because of the action on the track hasn't been anywhere near of a standard that speedway fans have been willing to pay for.

Maybe I look at these issues with a glass half full approach (ie: cash flow problems rather than living beyond their means) especially not knowing the full detail surrounding the issues.

Or maybe the thought of no speedway is too much to consider, so will back the promotion until an better alternative is put forward.

• Like 1

Oh yes it can be answered!! There were 2 fantastic full size football pitches. It was also part of a cross country course, The car park area had 2 astro courts and a bmx area with jumps, the club house was changing rooms. Before that it was a tip. SORRY.

I personally like the hilletts as they provide good shelter up to the stadium on the chilli windy nights

Also useful for burying the bodies of idiots........

• Like 1

Oh yes it can be answered!! There were 2 fantastic full size football pitches. It was also part of a cross country course, The car park area had 2 astro courts and a bmx area with jumps, the club house was changing rooms. Before that it was a tip. SORRY.

lovely!

BTC

Thank you for that. At least it will not be dug up again.

I think that the Lions will do well in this League. With a decent team, they will stand a good chance of success

Given time the 2 reserve should make it with the help they get. I don't think that for one minute that this has not been rushed through. What has happened at Leicester in the short space of time that they have been racing again is a tribute to everyone that was invoked in getting speedway back to the city.

Looking forward to 2014, as I hope all Lions fans are.

• Like 1

Jeez... the reason I will not be going to BP has nothing to do with a grudge, but everything to do with the hopeless entertainment value on offer at the venue. It clearly doesn't prove any point you're trying to make. Granted, It does have a lot to do with the promotion but it isn't a chip. Exacerbation, maybe. I am sure just like all the other fans who dreamed of seeing Leicester back but who don't bother going anymore can't be deemed to have 'got a chip' either. Maybe slightly more so though for me as i'm still here whinging about wanting it to change. Much like you do now, I spent 2 years praising the good points to the hilt, it's worn thin on me now.

Volty is the perfect example of the disillusioned Lions fan that some seem to think only exist in the imagination of others, or are those with agendas or chips on their shoulders... blah blah blah. What nonsense. Where have all the crowd gone from that first season? And why? Does anyone bother to ask or just assume the stay-aways are all wrong? Like every speedway club Leicester needs it's people through the gate, and despite various rose-tinted posts saying Leicester's gates compare favourably with certain other tracks (most of whom are in dire trouble!) the number who attend has dropped considerably since 2011. I know there's the 'new track' syndrome but even so, it's quite a drop off.

I'd never hide the fact that personally I'm a disillusioned Lions fan and much to my dismay, I see no connection with what goes on at Beaumont Park to the club I grew up with at Blackbird Road. That's all long gone and I accept that. Yes it's speedway back, but not as I knew it. I was involved in their return and I was motivated by that single aspiration to see the Lions back and roaring as I remembered, but I guess it was a different era and people have different agendas these days. A shame, but that's the reality. Like a few others I got peed off quite early, with the management, the mind-numbing alleged spectacle of the racing and several other associated behind the scenes issues. I went pretty much every week throughout 2011 but haven't been back since. That was my decision and to be honest I don't miss it. I still take an interest via friends, the media and forums etc because frankly, after 4 years of campaigning to get it back it's hard not to. Anyway, back to the point in hand, as a early dissenter I've had many a disagreement with Volty, even in PMs, when he used to defend Leicester Speedway with some passion and always tried to look on the positive in the face of what I perceived as many negatives. He always had a rational argument to make back then and he still does now. I always respected his viewpoint even if I disagreed with it.

I've never met Volty so I'm not defending a mate or anything but surely, instead of getting on the case of people like him, who let's not forget has informed us he was both a season-ticket holder and a sponsor year on year, people should be asking why has he had this change of mind and what can be done to put it right because like it or not, it's symptomatic of why people don't go to Leicester Speedway in the numbers they used to. Surely any sensible business would want to analyse why consumers don't want its product? If I saw my sales drop off I'd want to know why and do something about it, not sit back and dismiss the customers as wrong. The people who come on here moaning about the moaning (to the extent where Jim starts a separate 'tongue-in-cheek' thread!) could do with taking a slightly different angle and asking the question 'why?' rather than simply dismissing it as agendas and other such nonsense. Personally, if I had any agenda, I'd use a different and much more potent vehicle than a forum to do something about it so that argument is really rather silly at best. As I say, I don't go anymore, but I don't want Leicester Speedway to fail. Too many of us put too much into it to want that. I would always prefer the people who's responsibility it is to get their heads out their backsides and do something to stop people like Volty walking away instead of disowning them or ignoring them.

Edited by LionsDen
  • Like 4

Is this a reaction to what someone has told him has been said on here or what he has actually read as I don't recall anyone actually saying much if anything about his inclusion.. In fact I've just had a look and bar Lionking pointing out Perry had a shocking year last year (which I guess even he would probably admit he did) I can't see anyone saying much at all about Perry. Most of the comments about Clegg are also positive, they just point out it may be too early for him and as such he may not have been the best choice available for this season . Which again I would say is a pretty valid point.

He said in his Facebook page that he came onto this Forum thread himself for the first time in a year only to see himself being slagged off to the hills by 'Lion King' before he's even ridden for us.

And he can't wait for season to start to prove this doubter wrong.

To this time he's got 115 Likes to his Post and 57 Comments all supporting him and slating Lion King.

• Like 1

Jason Doyle - great signing for you.

I wish we could have seen him back at Brum this year - our most consistent rider over the last season.