British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

Nice little video promotional clip from 'BBC East Midlands Today'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/speedway/26741373

Have to say that to suggest that riders race in the Elite League, but their points don't count towards their teams total has to be the most stupid post that I have ever seen. Why don't we get the likes of Chelsea, Man City etc to play 2 young forwards, but if they score a goal, it doesn't count !!

I think the powers that be have made a mistake , albeit with the best intentions, to introduce draft riders into Elite League teams.

All it has done is water down the product I'm afraid. But, that's the rules and we all have to except them.

Leicester look pretty weak to me and I don't think they will get much joy this year particularly away from BP. The Premier League looks the best League, which I believe will be a close affair, and probably produce better racing.

Edited by nightshift

I think the powers that be have made a mistake , albeit with the best intentions, to introduce draft riders into Elite League teams.

All it has done is water down the product I'm afraid. But, that's the rules and we all have to except them.

Leicester look pretty weak to me and I don't think they will get much joy this year particularly away from BP. The Premier League looks the best League, which I believe will be a close affair, and probably produce better racing.

Weakened indeed yes. But thankfully instead of having the likes of Ales Dryml getting paid plenty to give a half hearted effort we are finally giving our future a chance to make quick progress that may just help re-dress the balance on the World stage in the next 5 years or so.

Nothing personal against Ales, he did a great job for us a few seasons ago, but we shouldn't have foreigners riding soaking up money out of the EL in reserve berths. Even more reason to ensure ANY foreigner, particularly if aimed to start in reserve has a minimum 5 point average.

I used Ales as an example of the type of rider who should NOT be riding in reserve in the EL, before Dryml fans start jumping down my throat!

• Like 4

A lot of reserves in the last few years in the EL have been a joke. Not sure if what we have this year is any better. The standards of the young riders are so far apart. That most of the teams in the EL are put in a position with the riders they have will stand no chace of doing well this year.

The point I made was to say that if the young riders the teams have been given are not up to a standard that will allow a team to be competative and show no chance of improving as the year goes on because they are not skilled enough and should never have been sent to the clubs to start with, why should it put the teams chances of winning the league just because the 2 reserves let them down week in week out.

There was not enough thought put into this before it was put into operation. Can't wait to see what our 2 reserves can manage on Sunday, to be honest, not much, thinks I

A lot of reserves in the last few years in the EL have been a joke. Not sure if what we have this year is any better. The standards of the young riders are so far apart. That most of the teams in the EL are put in a position with the riders they have will stand no chace of doing well this year.

The point I made was to say that if the young riders the teams have been given are not up to a standard that will allow a team to be competative and show no chance of improving as the year goes on because they are not skilled enough and should never have been sent to the clubs to start with, why should it put the teams chances of winning the league just because the 2 reserves let them down week in week out.

There was not enough thought put into this before it was put into operation. Can't wait to see what our 2 reserves can manage on Sunday, to be honest, not much, thinks I

Here we are again.Yawn. blaming the reserves allready.How about focusing on the top boys that get paid the big money to do there job rather than putting down the reserves.(I would like to say young reserves but with some knocking on the door of 30 ,and years of experience hardly up an coming british youngsters ).In the case of your reserves I have seen Tom grow up threw the youth grasstrack and what a good gutsy rider he is,allways gives his best, Max I have watched him grow at scunny over the last couple of years and a stylish little rider he is.(16 years old). I also agree it maybe a couple of years too soon,BUT at least he is willing to give it his best in the big league rather than sitting around in the NL for years to come.....Best of luck to both Tom & Max and well done to Leicester for doing what this exercise is all about,"Bringing on the young brits". Maybe w/watcher when you get a spare minute away from your keyboard you could pop down and show your reserves how you do it. ECOURAGEMENT .look it up.

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eedway/26741373

Just watched this clip.

4 wide into turn 3 . Looked to me that there was close racing.

Come on glyn, don't kid yourself as you know the track is far from great for speedway racing.

DH was also making out that Leicester people will see the very best of world class speedway at Leicester this I feel is misleading the public abit as the elite league is not much better than the premier league and world class riders like pederson,hancock,hampel,gollob,holder,sayfutdinov won't be in the elite league as it's so watered down now.

When was the last time you could honestly say our top league was world class ? 1989 ?

• Like 1

Here we are again.Yawn. blaming the reserves allready.How about focusing on the top boys that get paid the big money to do there job rather than putting down the reserves.(I would like to say young reserves but with some knocking on the door of 30 ,and years of experience hardly up an coming british youngsters ).In the case of your reserves I have seen Tom grow up threw the youth grasstrack and what a good gutsy rider he is,allways gives his best, Max I have watched him grow at scunny over the last couple of years and a stylish little rider he is.(16 years old). I also agree it maybe a couple of years too soon,BUT at least he is willing to give it his best in the big league rather than sitting around in the NL for years to come.....Best of luck to both Tom & Max and well done to Leicester for doing what this exercise is all about,"Bringing on the young brits". Maybe w/watcher when you get a spare minute away from your keyboard you could pop down and show your reserves how you do it. ECOURAGEMENT .look it up.

I can't see anyone blaming the reserves. They will ride to the best of their ability; no-one is saying otherwise. The point is that their ability is stunted by their lack of experience. Throwing them in with established EL riders waters down the EL and has been done purely to cut costs. Dressing it up as an artificial "development opportunity" is disingenuous, both to the fans and to the riders themselves. If this "opportunity" had not arisen, a rider who otherwise would have sat in the NL for years perhaps ought to recognise that maybe he doesn't have what it takes to progress on ability alone.

The reserves' points are as important as those scored by the rest of the team. Above all fans want their team to win and there is bound to be criticism of riders who unnecessarily drop points, whether they are novices or superstars. Fans and clubs can't afford to wait two or three years to see if their reserves develop. The "show me how you do it" argument is always ridiculous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eedway/26741373

Just watched this clip.

4 wide into turn 3 . Looked to me that there was close racing.

Where? I only saw 4 wide in the run up to the first bend! Close racing doesn't mean there are passing opportunities.

• Like 4

All this ranting about the reserves, we need to give these young lads a chance, particularly Max. Tom admitted he'd experienced engine troubles after his first heat last week so we need to cut him some slack as well. The Lions fans got on the back of James Sarjeant all too quickly & look how he's developing. Let's be realistic, the Lions need to consolidate this first season, learn from the experience & build on it for a real stab at the top four in 2015.

• Like 1

All this ranting about the reserves, we need to give these young lads a chance, particularly Max. Tom admitted he'd experienced engine troubles after his first heat last week so we need to cut him some slack as well. The Lions fans got on the back of James Sarjeant all too quickly & look how he's developing. Let's be realistic, the Lions need to consolidate this first season, learn from the experience & build on it for a real stab at the top four in 2015.

I think it was wrong to put the kids in the elite league even at reserve,they could be destroyed by the pressure on them by the team and some fans.

• Like 1

It would be lovely to give riders as much time as they need, but can we afford to, especially if they don't improve and we start next season with new reserves who also need to be given some slack? The club needs quick success to keep the attendances up, as the racing won't! I'm not so sure it was the fans en masse who got on Sarjeant's back, maybe a few did, but it was the promotion who ditched him, like so many others.

• Like 5

I think it was wrong to put the kids in the elite league even at reserve,they could be destroyed by the pressure on them by the team and some fans.

I think they will not be destroyed if they receive the right mentoring and encouragment. Unfortunately the system for the reserves in the Elite league is in place and will not be changed. I personnally would have preferred this sysytem to be used initially in the Prtemiere League or one per team in the Elite League. The second option would mean only the top ten promising NL riders would be in the draft.

• Like 1

I think they will not be destroyed if they receive the right mentoring and encouragment. Unfortunately the system for the reserves in the Elite league is in place and will not be changed. I personnally would have preferred this sysytem to be used initially in the Prtemiere League or one per team in the Elite League. The second option would mean only the top ten promising NL riders would be in the draft.

I agree with what you say but there's a Big IF in there which is my worrying point.

Let's hope the promotors plough in to the British kids what they would of for a foreign reserve.

• Like 1