British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

I for one are glad to see that leicester have managed to do what they have done in three years, it was no mean feat.

Has I have said before speedway is not just about overtaking it is the skill of the riders to stop it happening.

And Mick my back id big enough for any comments and I can take them. Just hope you find another stadium that you will be happy with in the coming years and all the best of luck to you and I hope that you do not lose interest in the sport.

There must be a team that you will feel that you can give your full support to I hope so as it would be a shame to lose a suppoter to speedway to any other sport. Hope you enjoy your speedway for many years to come best of Luck.

• Like 1

What's the point in trying to join in on a forum when you just get torrents of abuse back in return.

I have never made any negative remarks to you and as far as I can remember this is my first direct contact with you on this forum. Thanks for the welcome!

Oh , shame about you not being new to speedway as that would at least have gone some way towards explaining your stupid replies

If that's a torrent of abuse , you must have led a very sheltered life .

My point is that sponsors should not expect to make their support conditional beyond normal circumstances. i.e. it would be fair for a beer company to expect their products to be sold in the bar. But asking a promoter to change the shape of the track? Or (not that you have done) which riders should ride in what positions? I think that is overstepping the mark.

My point would be i wouldn't see a problem with a sponsor making their support conditional (such as i did) as long as it is done before sponsorship has been formerly taken out and not after the event and used as a way of pressurising the promotion. The overstepping the mark in my case was for the promotion to pretend they had done something in order to get my money rather than just say track changes aren't happening and we will have to decline your offer. Here is how i was reassured that i should pay my cheque as track work had been carried out.. this is after year 1 remember, not after the superficial alterations of last winter.. 'With regard to the 3rd bend, I am sure the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. But by moving in the kerb on the entry, increasing the banking on the entry and increasing the banking on the exit, which also includes lifting the safety fence to accommodate the new track level, I would hope we have tried to cover all the potential issues at this time'.

I was told these are things that had actually been done. when they clearly hadn't.

Last year he did a similar thing but on a grander scale by making it public that track changes were again going to be made after putting out a questionaire. I renewed my season tickets and sponsorship on that basis.

Edited by volty

Are you sure you are going to the correct stadium Volty? The track changes were done and have been well discussed on here and Facebook.

Are you sure you are going to the correct stadium Volty? The track changes were done and have been well discussed on here and Facebook.

You're absolutely right Long Eye, the track changes were made. Unfortunately DH was describing these changes in Jan 2012 when the alterations that were made were done in Feb 2013 :o

I do remember the 'track changes' of 2012 being discussed on here though. If i remember rightly mostly along the lines of 'what happened to those track changes, someones having a laugh', although that may also have been 2013 i'm thinking about.

Edited by volty
  • Like 2

If the Elite League survives into 2014 and therefor there is a choice , Which league would you like to see the Lions in ? Supporters of other teams are welcome should they wish to participate , and wit and sarcasm are totally acceptable , But personal abuse is not .

Whilst it would be good to see some of the big boys at BP, I think I'd opt for staying where we are in the PL. We'd have more regular meetings with a wider range of teams and we'd still get to see alot of riders that ride EL anyway. It would probably stop the price from going up too much as well!

Slightly off topic, with regards to the playoffs, I'd like to think that a 'Plan B' could be put in place to keep the season going for the teams that don't progress. Maybe something along the lines of a memorial trophy. Maybe it would help keep the gate receipts up to a steady level throughout the season.

As a Coventry fan I really enjoy my visits to Beaumont Park to see Premier League racing, particularly given the waste of time it was supporting Bees this year - but with one caveat. Whilst I give kudos to Dave Hemsley for getting the Lions up and running, building a great little stadium and putting out a good team (give or take the reserves), it could be so much better if the track was made more like Somerset, with a rounder shape and wider entries to the bends. Three years in, it really is time for meaningful action re the track shape.

• Like 3

As a Coventry fan I really enjoy my visits to Beaumont Park to see Premier League racing, particularly given the waste of time it was supporting Bees this year - but with one caveat. Whilst I give kudos to Dave Hemsley for getting the Lions up and running, building a great little stadium and putting out a good team (give or take the reserves), it could be so much better if the track was made more like Somerset, with a rounder shape and wider entries to the bends. Three years in, it really is time for meaningful action re the track shape.

Comments are all spot on tiberon. Nothing wrong with the place, it's a great stadium, but there is very little entertainment on track. We gave up going ages ago and that means over £1000 lost in revenue from our little group alone. A few more voting with their feet like we have and it becomes blindingly obvious that the best business decision would have been to make "real" changes to the track. EL or PL? I don't care, just give me a track that offers some entertainment.

• Like 1

It seems that No Gp riders will be allowed in the SEC , so now Almost every Saturday will see the top riders (and the not so top ) occupied with riding in big money competition in Europe , I would think that rules out weekend racing for the Lions if they choose Elite League Sorry Mrcts just could not help myself having another dig at Leicester speedway and it's promotion

It seems that No Gp riders will be allowed in the SEC , so now Almost every Saturday will see the top riders (and the not so top ) occupied with riding in big money competition in Europe , I would think that rules out weekend racing for the Lions if they choose Elite League Sorry Mrcts just could not help myself having another dig at Leicester speedway and it's promotion

Don't kid yourself,I couldn't care two s h I t e s what you think

Comments are all spot on tiberon. Nothing wrong with the place, it's a great stadium, but there is very little entertainment on track. We gave up going ages ago and that means over £1000 lost in revenue from our little group alone. A few more voting with their feet like we have and it becomes blindingly obvious that the best business decision would have been to make "real" changes to the track. EL or PL? I don't care, just give me a track that offers some entertainment.

Same here, £1000 + lost going forward, probably considerably more if alterations had been made.. In the last meeting David Hemsley told me the entertainment we all witnessed at the Coventry meeting vindicated his decision to not alter the track. I'm afraid from next season i'm joining the majority in leaving the minority, David Hemsley included, to get on with whatever enjoyment they are getting out of BP whilst they still can.. If we go EL then I'll at least be able to get along to quite a few more Lions away meetings if we we are still around..

Mick.

Edited by volty

Does he seriously think that was an entertaining meeting? I suppose it was for Leicester fans seeing their riders gate and go if that's what they want but there are other fans, like me, who want to see some good racing. How often does G.P. rider and Kings Lynn star Iversen fall off? Not very often I would guess but he managed it on the notorious 3rd/4th bend.

Still, it's not worth getting into any discussions on here because no-one is going to change their mind and if the track is not going to be altered that's it. Just carry on next season as things are and hope the racing gets better with E.L. riders (if they do go up.)

Does he seriously think that was an entertaining meeting? I suppose it was for Leicester fans seeing their riders gate and go if that's what they want but there are other fans, like me, who want to see some good racing. How often does G.P. rider and Kings Lynn star Iversen fall off? Not very often I would guess but he managed it on the notorious 3rd/4th bend.

Still, it's not worth getting into any discussions on here because no-one is going to change their mind and if the track is not going to be altered that's it. Just carry on next season as things are and hope the racing gets better with E.L. riders (if they do go up.)

I think he did think it was an entertaining meeting, yes.. Along with weatherwatcher he was probably marvelling at the skill shown in those EL stars and their ability to not allow any of those riders at the back do any of that overtaking stuff. It's been good watching Premier league riders not getting passed all season but the Elite league took the skill of not getting passed to a whole new level, i'm sure you'll agree.

Edited by volty

it will be interesting to see if any of this years team will be in the 1-7 next year,who's your money on?

it will be interesting to see if any of this years team will be in the 1-7 next year,who's your money on?

as we only appeared to finish the season with 2 riders my money is on either or both of those two!

BTW, just looking at the photo's of the end of season dinner dance. Has an end of season dinner dance ever had less riders show up!, 'luckily' the ones that turned won the awards going by the photo's!!