British Speedway Forum
AFCBFAN1

Danny Kennedy

Reading the thread about Kevin Holden made me very sad. I was ten and that meeting against Reading was my first ever speedway meeting. I have been a Poole fan for the ensuing thirty years and my favourite pirate was Danny Kennedy. I know that he had died but I was amazed to see that it was just over 20 years ago (14th June 1993 to be exact of a cerebral hemorrhage). I remember his best season as a Pirate in 1981 like it was yesterday and got my hands on the 1982 speedway yearbook a while ago and could remember most of his scores.

Does anyone remember Danny and have any stories about him. I remember he only got a couple of paragraphs in the Speedway Star when he died which I thought was quite poor really.

Hi, my name is John kennedy. I am Danny's brother. He actually died of a brain tumor. If you want to know more about my brother you can contact me at jonnokennedy@hotmail.com.

cheers

Remember Danny well and often chatted to him after meetings..............think I may even have had a picture taken with him at one point............

RP

My fondest memory of Danny was driving with him to Mildenhall when he was riding

for Weymouth, I spanered for him that day as he upset a few of the home riders & supporters with his "hard but fair" riding. He took little notice of any abuse just got on with the racing. Danny was a genuine good guy...sadly missed. Jock D.

• Like 1

I remember tat he was recalled to the Pirates team in 82 are Peter Prinsloo had a horror crash against Eastbourne. Always seemed to be a trier but Poole were an awfully poor team that year.

I do recall that in heat 2 the tapes wouldn't go up correctly and the riders were caught in the remains of the tapes on a number of meeeting in the middle of the season. As I was only 13 at the time I never got to see Danny after a meeting as I had to go home for school the next day.

Some nice memories there. Thanks for your response John, I did send you an e-mail but didn't hear back from you. I still watch Poole regularly but no-one has really got close to being my favourite rider since Danny left Poole at the end of 1982 and probably retired not long after.

Wonderful character.

Still got my tan coloured '' Ballarat 7'' t-shirt.

Had some hard times on the terraces at Canterbury and Rye House being a Dan fan. Amazing the number of times folk would 'accidently' bump into me while trying to have a drink! That t-shirt has a lot to answer for! Good times at Weymouth and Poole.

Got to know his Dad,Kevin and his wife Jayne quite well. In fact, Jayne taught me how to do the rubiks cube.

I remember Danny. He was a very stylish rider, I enjoyed watching him. Hard to believe he's been gone so long. Too sad.