British Speedway Forum
robolots

Speedway Star Toothless Pussycat

Back on subject: Last week's issue of the Star gives an excellent summary by Peter Oakes on the FIM v OneSport affair, two stories on Sayfutdinov and Pedersen's issues because of the fight. No punches pulled there, just good straightforward journalism.

Also an interesting feature (Oakes again) on David Hemsley, the opinionated Down Under column provoked smiles as usual but is by no means toothless and, best of all, a really good history on Ken Le Breton who was from before my time, which was marvellously informative.

So, a good and worthwhile read. Well worth my money.

• Like 4

Where is Pedaler, he seems to have gone somewhat quiet...

Must be proving hard to come up with anything different to say.

I think it's a shame Peter Oakes, with all his tabloid experience, passed up the chance to quiz Hemsley about his omelette/eggs comment. Fans only ever seem to have had half-stories and rumours. It would have been an ideal opportunity for Hemsley to set the record straight.

I think it's a shame Peter Oakes, with all his tabloid experience, passed up the chance to quiz Hemsley about his omelette/eggs comment. Fans only ever seem to have had half-stories and rumours. It would have been an ideal opportunity for Hemsley to set the record straight.

Agreed. It was an extremely sycophantic piece of journalism at best. The Star does this a lot. In this particular instance it's obvious "eggs" read as "people", some of whom, and one in particular, contributed massively to help DH get his track up and running.

Back on subject: Last week's issue of the Star gives an excellent summary by Peter Oakes on the FIM v OneSport affair, two stories on Sayfutdinov and Pedersen's issues because of the fight. No punches pulled there, just good straightforward journalism.Also an interesting feature (Oakes again) on David Hemsley, the opinionated Down Under column provoked smiles as usual but is by no means toothless and, best of all, a really good history on Ken Le Breton who was from before my time, which was marvellously informative.So, a good and worthwhile read. Well worth my money.

The photo of Ken going in to the 3rd bend at Owlerton when riding for Ashfield Giants brought back memories of crowd levels and the old track lights. There was also a good quote - 'Speedway is part sport, part show business and part entertainment. It is about giving the fans what they want. Good close racing with everything else added in.'

• Like 1