British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
raymondbudd

Speedway On Tv In Australia

Since I've moved to Melbourne for a year I'll be missing all of th UK season. Thus what are the options available as far as Speedway on TV in Australia are concerned.

I've just about figured out Aus TV channels ( I have cable), so where should I be looking for speedway action.

I assume I'll only see GP action,

cheers,

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Welcome to Melbourne Raymond !! It's where I am too.

TV options are limited !! The GP's are only on cable but both cable channels (Optus & Foxtel) share the same sports channels so it doesn't matter which one you have as far as sport is concerned. If last year is anything to go by we get the one hour channel 4 highlights package (with the lovely Julia) which we can get anything from one week to 6 weeks after the event depending on what else is on and how they feel. For example, don't expect to see any speedway while the Olympics are on this year, it won't happen. One shining light last year though, with the possibility of an Oz world champion and following some local pressure they did show the final GP from Norway on the Sunday morning here within 12 hours of it happening.

Free to air TV (channel 9) did cover the three rounds of the Oz titles this year and keep an eye out for a show called "Speedweek" either on cable or SBS as they have been showing a replay of some of the Oz titles. Not sure how much longer they will keep plugging that though.

What about real stuff ? Check out http://www.ssrav.org.au/index.htm . Broadford is less than an hour north of Melboune and is very easy to get to. There is a club meeting on Sunday March 14th which is free to get in and there is a free BBQ afterwards so the price is right !! Practice at 11am, racing at 1 pm and it's a good day out. All sorts of bikes / riders get along so there is bound to be something happening on the track you will like.

Then on Saturday March 27th they have their club championships which should be a terrific day. That one is $10 entry and racing (I think) starts at 11 am, so if you have nothing better to do roll up. I'm a little short bloke with glasses and I usually stand somewhere near the start / finish line if you get the urge to say hello !!