British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alan_Jones

Are The Promoters Starting To Catch On At Last?

I posted the following on the FTR thread but thought that discussion of the wider implications for the sport deserve a thread of their own.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's an interesting interview with Jon Cook in this week's Spar. He expects the riders EL averages to continue to be ignored with the progress of the riders, in general, to be determined by the PL average of the no. 6s and NL average of the no. 7s with 3 or 4 moving up into the 1-5 over the next couple of seasons. They are having a meeting on Tuesday to discuss the future of the scheme rather than wait until November.

There are a couple of quotes which show a refreshing attitude which could have wider implications than to just the FTDR programme.

"As an Elite League, we've taken our hands off the wheel and we're letting Phil [Morris] drive us. I won't pre-empt what Phil's ideas are, but they've been pretty good so far, so we're looking forward to hearing them and how we move forward."

"I think it's another fantastic lesson for the sport - we've had the faith to let someone else drive the project without interference from us. That's something that points the way for us in the future. Rather than turning up at AGMs with a list of what we need, maybe we leave a bit of the decision making to experts in a different field."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming from the lack of any mention of PL promoters in the article that the meeting is confined to the EL, which is a shame, but hopefully the attitude will trickle down and spread to other areas of the sport.

• Like 2