British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wilsonpaul198

Lions On Sky

The profit in speedway these days is just about break even. They may make a few bob, that is if they can get bums on seats.

Thanks for all your replies, gives me an idea what is needed regarding crowed levels. That is all I wanted to know, no catch, just wanted info. Shame Robert72 could not of helped me out.

I totally agree,the crowd levels are pretty good......but just think how many more they would get if the track was more conducive to competitive racing.

I agree with you about how many could be there if the racing/track was better. But until that happens it must still be supported so there is something left to be changed at some point.
  • Like 1

£1,200 for an EL 1 to 5 for winning a race? You're joking, surely?? Perhaps just maybe in Polish 1st division, but here???

It has been stated elsewhere think it was on one of the Birmingham forums that the BPSA brought in a rule that the top riders would be limited to £45 a point. with any extra money being made up by sponsers. But I am sure that to get any big names over here then they the promoter have found some way to fiddle this. Because a lot of the big names would surely just turn up thier noses at that.

It has been stated elsewhere think it was on one of the Birmingham forums that the BPSA brought in a rule that the top riders would be limited to £45 a point. with any extra money being made up by sponsers. But I am sure that to get any big names over here then they the promoter have found some way to fiddle this. Because a lot of the big names would surely just turn up thier noses at that.

Yes, that was in the early 1990's ...... I heard that it was currently a capped points pay limit of around £150 per point for riders 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5.... this season, so a rider getting a 12 point max and ht 15 win would earn a basic nights pay of £2,250 If a rider of a decent calibre, riding home and away in a week in the EL scoring say 12 pts at hone and then say 10 away would gross points pay for the week of £3,300, add to that 5 rides in Poland, 4 rides in Sweden (another (£3,300 say) and he's grossed £6,600 for the week, not bad.. But, and its a big but, add travel costs, mechanics wages, engine services, broken parts, consumables etc and a bigish chunk is quickly eroded off that £6,600 then taxes, insurances, and well, what do you all reckon fellow fans.........???

At those wages take your six point elite rider riding say 30 meetings. 27k a year before tax and significant expenses. Clearlyyou couldnt make a living on that alone, hence the need for riders to double up which everyone moans about. Yet the riders are also accused of being greedy. Yet if they turn up on slow equipment the fans would quickly want rid of them!

I think if you're spending 18k on points for home meetings, you're probably speeding 12k at away tracks. Suddenly your profit ain't great.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that insurance, track and stadium maintenence costs are somewhere north of zero... as a promoter, if you've invested in owning a stadium outright, you'd surrly expect at least a 5% p/a return on that?

At those wages take your six point elite rider riding say 30 meetings. 27k a year before tax and significant expenses. Clearlyyou couldnt make a living on that alone, hence the need for riders to double up which everyone moans about. Yet the riders are also accused of being greedy. Yet if they turn up on slow equipment the fans would quickly want rid of them!

And I have a sneaking suspicion that insurance, track and stadium maintenence costs are somewhere north of zero... as a promoter, if you've invested in owning a stadium outright, you'd surrly expect at least a 5% p/a return on that?

It is nonsense to suggest owning a stadium gives a club an advantage. For a sport that wants to use a facility 20 nights out of 365 then renting is the most cost effective solution. The costs associated with owning and running a venue would require much more than 20 nights speedway, even with the secondary spend going in the pot.

It is like someone buying a hotel and airplane for their annual holiday rather than just book the odd ryan air flight and a room via Alpharooms.

It may help in the cases where the owner is merely indulging a hobby but as a business proposition then a rented venue will be the most cost effective every time

It means subject to planning permission you can:

Race any night of the week

Race on many nights/days of the week

Practise whenever you like

Run training schools everyday

Don't lose so many meetings to weather (track time remedial work)

Have other sports

Rent track out

• Like 2

Are there any riders on here that give the actual cost of running the bikes, mechanics, cost of running a van and transport costs plus insurance. Out of what they earn a year. On top of the wages you have the sponsers money, the better you are the better sponsers you get. But what does the average middle and lower riders get out of the sport money wise at the end of the year. Or are they there to just break even or make a small profit because they love thier sport.

On the sponsorship page of the Witches website it has a breakdown of estimated costs for a rider for each meeting.

It works out about £200.

It can't be totally pants, ir they wouldn't do it.... Having said that, in the old days, were there that many totally professional speedway riders around that did not have another occupation?

Perhaps the absolute top dogs only had speedway (in season)

But lower end second strings and reserves?

Most of the young riders and some of the lower riders have to work to make a living. Speedway to them is not the main bread winner, but to them a sport and a costly hobby. Most of the young riders are helped out by thier families.

I for one am looking forward to Mondays meeting. Now having back together a full team and one that seems to be riding well together, the Lions may just pull off another win We have a very good 1-6 and young Clegg just needs to find his confidence, I like the lad and if he listens to the other riders I know that he can come good, hope so.

Edited by weatherwatcher

and young Glegg just needs to find his confidence, I like the lad and if he listens to the other riders I know that he can come good, hope so.

Glegg ??????????????

There are no lights in my computer room so I type just by the light from the screen at night. We are all not perfect and sometimes make some typo's. I know I do a lot of the time. how many of look at what we right and see that we have got it right. mrcts, do you find anything other than something to moan about by the way.

Anyway point taken. I hope the Lions win on Monday.

Would do the team a world of good.

Glegg ??????????????

I wouldn't worry to much Weatherwatcher.... Typo's gan hgppen to anjone, espesially of you're typin one a smut phoned.

• Like 2