British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Coventry V Cradley - Friday 27th June

COVENTRY will host local rivals Cradley Heath in the second leg of the Travel Plus Trophy at Brandon this Friday, June 27 (7.30pm).

The meeting, originally scheduled as the season-opener back in March, was abandoned after six races and the re-staging date has now been agreed.

The tie is evenly poised after the sides met at Monmore Green on April 1 and the Heathens will bring an eight-point lead into the return fixture after a 48-40 win.

There was then a dramatic National League clash between the clubs on Easter Monday when the City Gearboxes Storm ran out 46-43 winners, to inflict the only defeat on the Heathens so far in 2014.

The Storm have been short of meetings recently and several of their team members are making returns from injury, so Friday’s match comes at a good time ahead of the KO Cup trip to Buxton on Sunday.

The Trophy is backed by Travel Plus Tours, whose chief James Easter operates trips to all major speedway Grand Prix and World Cup events.

Coventry would like to place on record their appreciation to Cradley for their agreement to Friday’s date.

To short notice... not able attend and I would have liked to have gone!

Cradley have co-operated but it anoys me that it helps coventry out. They can have a run out in a friendly when riders are coming back.

Im just a bit narkerd by this, would we have a full team?

Meeting to miss. Wanna see our full team ride not half a team. What a waste would be to go.to this.

I'm a neutral but I'm going (if the rain stops).

By the very nature of NL riders and their double-ups, not having a full team doesn't help. However, it's still your team, and NL Speedway that ultimately needs support.

Jeeeeezus - if every fan took the stance that unless their full team was riding that they wouldn't attend, then the terraces would be even more sparse than they are now!

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 1

I'm a neutral but I'm going (if the rain stops).

By the very nature of NL riders and their double-ups, not having a full team doesn't help. However, it's still your team, and NL Speedway that ultimately needs support.

Jeeeeezus - if every fan took the stance that unless their full time was riding that they wouldn't attend, then the terraces would be even more sparse than they are now!

Yes, but by saying what you said, dont you think thats one of the reasons people stay away, another will be, if there is the slightest doubt about the weather tonight, there will only be a handful of visiting fans that will travel over, this due entirely to what happened on the first attempt to ride the meeting.

The weather is significant for ANY meeting - we can't control it, so we have to stop whinging and just deal with it.

But that's another issue entirely.

Yes, of course we all want to see our regular 1-7 line-ups but given the way speedway is structured (coupled with injuries), this doesn't happen - across all 3 leagues.

And unless the sport is supported at ALL levels by people coming through the turnstiles, then it simply won't have any future in the UK - FACT. We need look no further than Birmingham.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

The main point im trying to make is Most of us support a Team not Speedway.

During the years Cradley didnt have a Team i think i went to 4 meetings, 2 at Birmingham, and 2 at Wolves. Now i live down here in Bournemouth, am i inclined to go and watch Poole ? The answer is No.

The Sport is down on its knees, and being supported by people who have followed Speedway Teams for many years, Once these people are no longer around what will be left ? I doubt i will be around in 20 years, but i also fear for Speedways future over that time scale.

Ask me as a long time Speedway fan does Speedway have a long term future in the Uk ?.

3 years ago i would have answered maybe.

Now i will answer in my opinion NO.

For a variety of reasons, Cost including VFM, the way the Sports run, Team make ups, nothing to attract youngsters, so when the current generation passes by, whats left.

Im 62 now, its debatable who will last longest, Speedway in this country or me, thats how bad things have become.

The "HEATHENS" were supposed to have the best fans in the country(apparently)..Now that there 2 top guys aren't at Cov tonight there's loads that wont go.....Hmmm what about the rest of the team, are they not worth your support.

• Like 1

The "HEATHENS" were supposed to have the best fans in the country(apparently)..Now that there 2 top guys aren't at Cov tonight there's loads that wont go.....Hmmm what about the rest of the team, are they not worth your support.

Haha, more to do with the first time this was attempted to be ridden, treated with contempt by Coventry management, once bitten twice shy and all that.

Big Red you pay my fuel costs from Bournemouth to Coventry and back, then maybe i will take a chance on the weather.. :D

• Like 1

Not surprised.....but disappointed. :sad:

Shame it's off I was looking forward to it in spite of the three absences.

I was lucky that I could get the time off on this occasion but it was very short notice to try and make arrangements.