British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mrcts

An Open Letter To David Hemsley

I've been to the new Leicester speedway and was very impressed with everything including the track!

While the paying customer has the right to criticise constructively I do find the Leicester fans moaning about the track to be over the top cause track isn't that bad and is certainly better than many others!

I get the impression many Leicester fans are old timers from the Blackbird Road era who look at the past with rose tinted glasses on and are expecting a classic meeting everytime which isn't going to happen. I've learnt from watching speedway since the 1950's that one of speedways beauties is that if you get a poorish race (which every track does) then you know it will soon be over and the next race maybe better!

Not every speedway meeting is going to be great and footballs the same!

Your club is in a better position than my old team Norwich and what you were from 1984-2010 and indeed what Birmingham speedway currently are!

A question for you unhappy with the track Lions fans - Your nearest other track is Coventry which doesn't always produce great racing, which track do you think produces the best racing?

Personnally I'd say there would not be much to choose from both of them.

The simple problem of the track is that it is virtually impossible to pass after the 2nd bend of the first lap....you can count on the fingers of 1 hand the times that is has happened in 3 and a half seasons,

There is very,very little close racing to get the pulse racing........surely the reason we watch speedway is for a bit excitement,we get very little at Leicester.

The only people that say the track is o.k. seem to be supporters of other clubs, do they go every week?

Would they prefer the track at Leicester to their own track?

I agree with you about watching through rose-tinted glasses regarding speedway at Blackbird Road,it was fine racing track after all,but the fare that's churned out every week nowadays is beyond parody.

Edited by mrcts

The track is difficult to pass on, but to say that you can count the passes after bend 2 one hand after 3 and a half seasons is utter rubbish.

• Like 1

The track is difficult to pass on, but to say that you can count the passes after bend 2 one hand after 3 and a half seasons is utter rubbish.

O.k.,genuine passes?, I'll be generous then 1 and a half hands.

If you want to believe there has been anymore than that I won't try to dispel your illusion!

Edited by mrcts

I've been to the new Leicester speedway and was very impressed with everything including the track!

While the paying customer has the right to criticise constructively I do find the Leicester fans moaning about the track to be over the top cause track isn't that bad and is certainly better than many others!

I get the impression many Leicester fans are old timers from the Blackbird Road era who look at the past with rose tinted glasses on and are expecting a classic meeting everytime which isn't going to happen. I've learnt from watching speedway since the 1950's that one of speedways beauties is that if you get a poorish race (which every track does) then you know it will soon be over and the next race maybe better!

Not every speedway meeting is going to be great and footballs the same!

Your club is in a better position than my old team Norwich and what you were from 1984-2010 and indeed what Birmingham speedway currently are!

A question for you unhappy with the track Lions fans - Your nearest other track is Coventry which doesn't always produce great racing, which track do you think produces the best racing?

Personnally I'd say there would not be much to choose from both of them.

You should be defending Luis Suarez ! Unfortunately too many people has seen the dross on offer at Leicester to keep it a secret any more !

So has anyone ever seen a "great" race on this track?

Is the problem just at BP only. I have watched racing at other stadiums and with the way the tracks are set up these days and the way of the new bikes and the way the riders ride full flat out from the gate, with only the task in mind of getting to the the finishing line in first place to keep up you averages, then no matter what the track or where it is you are always going to get these sort of follow me follow me races. With the quility of riders also far apart from each other it is also a fact that you have one or two riders half a lap or more infront of the others. Until changes are made within the sport in general than I am afraid that this type of racing is here to stay.

The only way to change this is to alter the tracks the bikes and that the riders of any given heat are of the same standards. It may be hard to pass at BP because the track is so narrow and the bends tight and the straights long but I have seen it done and also seen some good racing when the riders where all evenly matched.

The EL is one of the worst for this, plus the down side that you will always have to suffer from having untold amounts of guest riders in your team throuhout the season.

I find this very hard to be able to folliow a team that half the time is made up of riders that are riding in as a guest but they are nothing better than PL leauge standard or the guest dosen't bother or can't be bother to ride at his best.

Have to say when I went to Beaumont Park for the Wolves match in March, it was so processional all night

Such a shame as its a terrific venue. Dave Hemsley needs to understand though that you might be able to fool some people some of the time, but you cant fool everyone all of the time

• Like 2

Have to say when I went to Beaumont Park for the Wolves match in March, it was so processional all night

Such a shame as its a terrific venue. Dave Hemsley needs to understand though that you might be able to fool some people some of the time, but you cant fool everyone all of the time

But it appears there are still sufficient numbers that he is fooling and getting away with it. Some people are so gullible, or blind, or both, that they really can have the wool pulled over their eyes and believe what they are being told as the truth.

I predict he will be trying to sell, towards the end of the season.

But it appears there are still sufficient numbers that he is fooling and getting away with it. Some people are so gullible, or blind, or both, that they really can have the wool pulled over their eyes and believe what they are being told as the truth.

I predict he will be trying to sell, towards the end of the season.

Perhaps those who go just enjoy there night out, it is possible. :neutral:

• Like 2

Don't think for one moment that Davis Helmsley, would even think twice about selling up. This was his dream to bring speedway back to Leicester and he achieved that. Ok he will not listen to what anyone tells him, just maybe he will have to at the end of the day. Who was it that started this off and who was it that when aproached about setting up a petition about making the changes to the track sudenly went very quite and said it would be a waste of time doing it.

If you want to make your point about the track it is no use doing it on here. Either send a letter to DH personaly or get the petition going and get it signed at a home meeting.

I can't see that anything can be done to stop it going ahead, if you get thrown out of the stadium then do it on the main gate outside.

You don't like the track so if you get banned will it really be such a big problem to you. I can't be bothered going through all the posts to see who said what.

I for one enjoy going with my grandson. The fans we have met are great and the track staff very helpful. Even so if it was my track I would make quite a few changes. But has I havn't got that sort of money it will never happen. One day I might just win the lottery and then I can buy it and make the changes I would would like to see go ahead. But that is just a dream.

So has anyone ever seen a "great" race on this track?

err,can't think of any off the top of my head.

After what is happening at Brum perhaps Hemsley would be well advised to listen to the Lions fans!!!!

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

After what is happening at Brum perhaps Hemsley would be well advised to listen to the Lions fans!!!!

All these Track curators Team Managers and promotors on this forum, do you all want to go the way Birmingham has? if I was DH i would just do the same as they have done and stuff you all ,I wouldnt want to see my money spent on you all . You all can do it on your own and dont need his money !!!

All these Track curators Team Managers and promotors on this forum, do you all want to go the way Birmingham has? if I was DH i would just do the same as they have done and stuff you all ,I wouldnt want to see my money spent on you all . You all can do it on your own and dont need his money !!!

I can't understand what you are saying at all? Are you suggesting that things are o.k. as they are?

Why should I need his money?...... I'm not the one who laid down a poor racing circuit!

Edited by mrcts

So David Hemsley the man who brought leicester speedway back and he will be the man to kill it off again what a shame it could have been so good but he will never change that track. David Hemsley the man that killed off leicester speedway so sad