British Speedway Forum
Cliffeboy

Somerset V Rye 08.08.14

Is it any wonder crowds are down with Speedway kicking itself in the foot yet again with the help of Len Silver, who wants to pay to watch a whitewash when Rye House field a team that are severely weakened without their number one, they were worse that woeful, why on earth didn't the Rye House management get a replacement for kennett, they are weak enough as it is let alone without their number one, and with Poole rained off I'm sure a local rider would have ridden for them if approached.

Really not fair on the paying public, get your act together Rye House.

• Like 3

Had just paid my £15 to get in and £2.50 for the program, only to hear it's r/r for Kennett! :mad: Too late for a refund? Was always going to be a big home win, but became a virtual walkover. Very little to get excited about - just Brady Kurtz (he was flying!) and a couple of laps between Allen and Garrity in heat 7. The only other racing of note I saw was between Garrity and Mellgren for the point in heat 15! Anders didn't seem too happy after that. Overall, not the best £17.50 I've ever spent. Thanks Mr Silver!

Still, at least it's Edinburgh next Weds and Friday - sure to be much more competitive. Alas, I'm in Edinburgh midweek visiting family, and will be back in Somerset by Friday. Didn't plan that too well, did I. Bloody typical! :cry:

• Like 1

Presumably this is the same Len Silver who said in the star a while back that he thought speedway in the UK was in fine shape.

I doubt Len Silver remembers what eh said days ago, so no chance months ago!

Went to Peterborough back in the 80s when the brummies were there and they refused to ride, there was a problem on the third bend but the ref gave the go ahead to carry on.

The Brummies riders and promoter didnt it like so they walked out, 75-0 was the score, very wierd experince watching 15 heats of just the home riders racing around.

Feel for the travelling rye fans, never nice to see a walloping like that.

Eastbourne vs Lynn in 2000 was a 75-0 after Kings Lynn walked out because they had booked Danny Bird as a guest but had included the 2.5% GB reduction in his average - the reduction didnt count for guests so he wasn't allowed to ride. The referee told them no so they walked out and Eastbourne had to ride around on there own for a 75-0.

John Sampford phoned three different riders to guest, none wanted to come

Why didn't he phone 6 riders or 10 riders or?????

Why don't you ask him yourself?

John Sampford

Rye House Speedway

Rye House Stadium

Hoddesdon

Herts

EN11 0EH

Or phone

01982 440400

I may be right off track here but maybe nobody wanted the booking.

I may be right off track here but maybe nobody wanted the booking.

I was thinking the same thing or maybe they just didn't want to ride for what was on offer. Its one of those questions that the likes of the supporters will never get the answer to.

After a display like that from the promotion of Rye House, myself and 3 others who have not missed the return fixture between these club in the last 5 seasons, have decided not to go, as it seems against the grain putting money in a promotors pocket, who really dosent care about his own fans, let alone it seems the sport in general.... Take take take... Excuse excuse excuse !!!!!

Really feel for the faithful Rye fans that made the trip

As to finding a replacement rider for Mr Kennet, i know of 2 riders both heat leaders, and live resonablyclose that offered there services last night, and Mr sandford reaction was we would be better going with R/R..... Both know the track and have riden there at least 3 times this season... It seems to me that Mr silver would rather save his pennies, and starve us the paying public a more competative meeting.....

Because he is as tight as you OT

• Like 1

I doubt Len Silver remembers what eh said days ago, so no chance months ago!

If you get to Len Silvers age, neither will you.. ;)

Me and my wife were on holiday in Devon and went to watch Exeter v Rye House during Exeter's penultimate season at the County Ground. That was in the days of if a rider was on a tactical and was third then it was simply 2 points. That night it was 12 x 5-1's and 3x 5-2's.....making it 75 -18. My brother who I was texting back home on Tyneside thought I was taking the proverbial. I thought at the time with it being Len Silver's old home, he would have put a show on!

Edited by Mauger_Magic

Me and my wife were on holiday in Devon and went to watch Exeter v Rye House during Exeter's penultimate season at the County Ground. That was in the days of if a rider was on a tactical and was third then it was simply 2 points. That night it was 12 x 5-1's and 3x 5-2's.....making it 75 -18. My brother who I was texting back home on Tyneside thought I was taking the proverbial. I thought at the time with it being Len Silver's old home, he would have put a show on!

What year was that?

What year was that?

2004? Edited by Shadders

What year was that?

You purport to be a speedway fan through & through yet you are unaware of the year that Exeter Speedway closed down, A little history lesson "Exeter Speedway closed down after the End of an Era meeting in 2005" therefore the penultimate year that Mauger-Magic was referring to was 2004...

here endeth the lesson

• Like 1

That was the meeting which the Rockets didn't want to race because of unsafe conditions and Len Silver told them rightly not to risk themselves if I recall correctly. We used Karlis Ezergaillis as a number 8. The next year we went back to the County Ground for the last ever league meeting there and won it to wrap up the league title. Robbo got a paid max and Shaun Tacey dropped only a point or two guesting for Chris Neath.

That was the meeting which the Rockets didn't want to race because of unsafe conditions and Len Silver told them rightly not to risk themselves if I recall correctly. We used Karlis Ezergaillis as a number 8. The next year we went back to the County Ground for the last ever league meeting there and won it to wrap up the league title. Robbo got a paid max and Shaun Tacey dropped only a point or two guesting for Chris Neath.

What a great night. Even Brent Werner won a heat!!
  • Like 1