British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Coventry V Eastbourne 15th Aug

I wasn't there so don't know where some posters who are blaming the referee got their information.

This is what Neil Watson said on here;

"The promotion, referee and both sets of riders were keen for the match to take place if at all possible, and had intended to delay the start, but it then became clear that the circuit had taken on too much water and it was in nobody’s interest to stage a farcical event".

He has no reason to say that if everyone apart from the referee wanted to carry on.

quite why anyone went in is beyond me!

arrived at the stadium 7:20 the local area looked like a scene from Noah!

checked the internet start delayed till 8pm, right ok that means the blade is coming out, in reality it would start till 9pm at the earliest and a farce would be the result.

decided at 7:35 to head home

• Like 2

On the way to stadium from Coventry South there was no rain but was very black over Brandon. Couldn't believe how wet the car park was massive puddles in the pits and the land outside the track. Clearly the track was unridable and it would have been wrong to ask riders in such conditions. Debatable whether the gates should have been opened, let me say I was visiting the brummies earlier in the season(although a Coventry supporter) the writing was on the wall resulting in now no Brummies. Before Mick Horton took over it looked as though Coventry could go the same way. We have been unfortunate with the Friday weather this year but in my opinion here was no chance of that meeting going ahead, I can't believe the referee made the total decision, I would guess it was a joint decision. Better luck Monday. Incidentally the A45 on way home was dry, no rain there.

I felt sorry for Mick Horton last night, the angry mob were hanging around the speedway office trying to have a go at him and accusing him of stealing peoples money.

We all know in this day and age that it doesn't take much rain to see a speedway meeting called off, it had been raining since 6.30 and it was obvious that the chances of the meeting being on were not great. I realised this but thought to myself I'll pay and go in anyway and if it's on then great and if it's called off I'll just use my ticket at another meeting.

Anybody who walked through those turnstiles after 6.30 knew they were taking a chance, you can just use your ticket another time or post it back to the stadium and get your money back, what is the big problem? A few people were reacting like Mick Horton had robbed them, ( I actually heard someone suggest calling the police!) they would do well to realise that he is the only reason we have any speedway at Brandon, he gets it wrong sometimes as we all do but generally does a decent job and tries to give the fans what they want.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that this was called off, I finished work early and braved the traffic from work in Milton Keynes for nothing, only a few weeks after doing exactly the same for the Swindon match. I've been waiting weeks to see the Bees and I go on holiday on Tuesday so I will miss a load of meetings, I was dying to see this one and i think it would have been 3 points in the bag.

Speedway meetings are rained off far too easily these days in my opinion, I can appreciate everyone's frustrations but those scenes tonight were ugly and uncalled for, abusing Mick Horton is not the answer.

• Like 4

When I lived nearby, I've known the stocks to go on much later than that! I could hear them when I was in bed.

I,m baffled by all this talk of curfews. I can hear stock cars inside the house and they aren't finished before 11 most times. Plus Brandonapolis went on very late a couple of years ago. Wasn't the stadium there before the nearby houses anyway. Should have spent two hours working on the track if necessary. Covers and less fixtures all staged on Monday nights are a must next year.

• Like 1

Ive been at a meeting before that didnt finish until 11.20

I,m baffled by all this talk of curfews. I can hear stock cars inside the house and they aren't finished before 11 most times. Plus Brandonapolis went on very late a couple of years ago. Wasn't the stadium there before the nearby houses anyway. Should have spent two hours working on the track if necessary. Covers and less fixtures all staged on Monday nights are a must next year.

Probably more to do with this why more work on the track wasn't done rather than any curfew.

August 16th – Saturday – Coventry – 5.pm – 1600cc Bangers WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

BriSCA F2 World of Shale Finale – Heritage Cars

Probably more to do with this why more work on the track wasn't done rather than any curfew.

August 16th Saturday Coventry 5.pm 1600cc Bangers WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

BriSCA F2 World of Shale Finale Heritage Cars

I suggested that could be the case earlier in the thread. No doubt when it was postponed they went straight out to work on the track!

Cam was interviewed last night and he said that both teams were keen to race but after the rain at 6.30 it rendered the track unrideable. he did not seem to blame the ref or the track staff, just the weather.

• Like 1

I suggested that could be the case earlier in the thread. No doubt when it was postponed they went straight out to work on the track!

Well two men with brooms on the 4th bend did a good job getting rid of the big puddle there in no time at all. :wink: