British Speedway Forum

So what? Who hasn't done something in the past? With what's going on with security? This hardly makes him public enemy number one.

So Raiders run according to Len in the latest press release. Good to see he's talking about stadium improvements to and fun packed Saturday nights! Perhaps this should have posted in NL section really.

Len says

"Our fans can also look forward to a fixture-packed season following the re-introduction of the Raiders, run this time around by my son, Andrew"

He continued

So, with a number of stadium improvements to add to the plusses, I am sure the supporters will make Rye House their regular Saturday night venue. I personally can't wait to get starred."

The full press release

Rockets Get Go-Ahead on Team

Further to his application to re-declare the Rockets starting line-up to include Robin Aspegren following the rejection of Tyson Nelsons working visa, Rye House promoter Len Silver has received BSPA approval for his revised roster this afternoon.

As previously indicated, this will bring the team in with a combined starting average of 42.49 just 0.01 below the permitted limit.

Silver is delighted with the confirmed outcome. We have never been so close to the 42.50 limit, and with most of the riders quite capable of scoring above their average, the prospects for the new season look encouraging. Our fans can also look forward to a fixture-packed season following the re-introduction of the Raiders, run this time around by my son, Andrew.

So, with a number of stadium improvements to add to the plusses, I am sure the supporters will make Rye House their regular Saturday night venue. I personally can't wait to get started."

The opening night of the Rockets 2015 campaign is Saturday, March 21st, when they will play host to East Anglian rivals Ipswich in the League Cup. The start time at the Hoddesdon raceway is 7pm.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Latest press release from Rye House states that Len has given up his right to be a Tier Two sponsor, therefore no non-EU riders in the Rockets team while he is in charge.

I wonder if any other of the 'old school' promoters will also feel that it is too much grief for what he says is a special case ??

Latest press release from Rye House states that Len has given up his right to be a Tier Two sponsor, therefore no non-EU riders in the Rockets team while he is in charge.

I wonder if any other of the 'old school' promoters will also feel that it is too much grief for what he says is a special case ??

It may well be a decision that Rye will regret in the future. I understand his point though and with regard to the Aussies and New Zealanders I completely agree. With The Commonwealth history between our countries i find it somewhat strange that we treat them like third class citizens. To give, for example a Pole like the one from redcar who fell off about six times during the meeting last year a team place over an up and coming young Aussie is beggars belief. The Aussies coming over are generally talented and pretty loyal to British speedway especially when compared to some of the inept European riders we have had gracing british speedway.

Has to be said that Len has never been a great employer of Australians in his time at Rye House which has always saddened me especially when you look at the likes of Parker, Lyons, Lemon Johnno and many others. For me two of the best at Rye were Glen Baxter and the late Trevor O'Brien both arriving shortly after Len Left.

Seems a shame but the bad experiences with Nelson seem to have soured his view on his holding the tier two sponsorship which it seems was a rider problem rather that an Authoritarian one

i doubt it will be only Len who can't be bothered and i certainly don't think it will have anything to do with being "Old school".

So what? Who hasn't done something in the past? With what's going on with security? This hardly makes him public enemy number one.

Well no not everyone has broken the law in such a way. You only have to watch one of the many border control programmes to show how hot Australia and New Zealand are when granting even Tourist Visa's as are the Americans. Seems like its a twit for tat attitude shown by us in this regard.

As for the security thing that hardly helps as it means they clearly look in more detail at each application. Doesn't mean i agree with them just pointing out what has become fact these days.

• Like 1

West ham boy - did you say the late Trevor o'brien?

Yes had a motor cycle accident in Australia,at his club where he put in a lot of work i believe think it was Last year

Taken from Pinjar Park FB page which is a speedway (Bikes and cars) outside Perth

Sad news with the passing of former Australian International rider Trevor O'Brien. Trevor who was originally from the Northern Territory has been a resident of WA for many years since retiring from British League speedway. Trevor was a member of the famous Rye House Rockets from 1989-1993 and well remembered by many. A quiet man who loved his racing and a welcome sight in the pits at Pinjar Park over the past few seasons. From everyone at the SMCWA & Pinjar Park we offer the O'Brien family our deepest condolences, RIP Trevor O'Brien, 1966 - 2014.

Edited by westhamboy66

Oh that is the most dreadful news. I remember when Jamie Fagg (?) came over and Trevor was his mechanic. His progress was a joy to watch. So exciting. The last I heard he had married a girl mildenhal way and was gardening. One of the best racers we had.

• Like 1

Does anyone know when the press and practice day is?

It's usually on the Friday & Saturday immediately before the first meeting. In this case it should be 13th/14th March

It's usually on the Friday & Saturday immediately before the first meeting. In this case it should be 13th/14th March

Thanks

Oh that is the most dreadful news. I remember when Jamie Fagg (?) came over and Trevor was his mechanic. His progress was a joy to watch. So exciting. The last I heard he had married a girl mildenhal way and was gardening. One of the best racers we had.

Yes, agree completely but the one thing that really stood out for me was that he never, ever gave up. Highlights include a stunning 18 point home max against Peterborough in the early nineties and I can still remember him roaring inside two Glasgow riders on the home straight - he actually rode over gate 1! - and still kept his front wheel on the white line through turns 1 and 2.

Riders like Trevor would fill the stadium, it just seemed there were more characters around in those days.

Good luck to all the 2015 Rockets.

• Like 1

Garrity leaves the Rockets, whats the chances with the aussies missing out he has a team spot already gauranteed.

Sheffield maybe?

Junior

• Like 3

Sheffield would have to drop someone else I believe to fit him my thinking is Glasgow to replace kozza. After money talks especially with garrity as has been proved in the past.

• Like 1