British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Next Season, Changes And Suggestions For Agm

The best starting method can be seen at Cycle Speedway meetings where the races are started not by the referee but by a starter who has to be positioned in a place where he cannot see the riders and the riders cannot see him. The referee puts the riders under starters orders (the equivilant of switching on the green light in motor speedway) and the starter has to release the tapes within 2 to 5 seconds, varying the time for each race. The riders are given a minute to get to the start line and have to have their front wheels positioned on a line drawn across the back of the starting grid and are excluded with no reserve replacement if they don't.

This allows the referee to concentrate exclusively on watching for movement at the start and whilst I would be the first to agree that cycle speedway has very many problems with its rules, bad starting isn't one of them.

Personally,I'm pretty well convinced that on the many occasions that a rider jumps the start and there are howls from supporters and television commentators) that he "anticipated" the start and should be allowed to get away with it, it is nothing of the kind. I think referees often release the tapes when they see a rider begin to move, with every intention of putting on the red lights so that they don't have the hassle of the tapes being broken and of having to exclude an offender.

Bad starting is a curse on speedway, and needs to be urgently eliminated.

EL teams run home and away every other week.

They also have a NL team that run on the week the first team is away.

This cuts costs, more good riders are interested in riding here. Crowds would see the riders they want to see as top riders would have less commitments. Young and upcoming riders would have a truly meaningful league in which to improve.

The PL works reasonably well but some clubs may well drop out because of the costs. Therefore, I feel that some of the riders who ride EL, PL and abroad must choose what they want. Doubling up upsets both EL and PL supporters and management. Therefore may I suggest that riders should only be allowed to ride for one team in this country but could also ride abroad if they wished.

Not saying this is the answer but just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Not all the riders have the means to ride abroad. They cost of air fares and moving bikes around for riders is a no go to most of them.

The Visa rules for the Australian and U.S.A riders needs to be relaxed a bit. They have been riding over here for years causing no big issues and all they come over here to do is race speedway, when they season ends they go home and then have to stuggle to get back again the following year by stuppid red tape.

A big issue that has agin reared it's head again this year is overseas riders coming over here riding for a few weeks or picking and chosing when they ride for thier club.

If they do this then they should be sent back to where they come from and then refussed to ever come back and ride over here. They just treat British speedway as a way to fill in until thier overseas leagues start or ride when thier overseas clubs tell them when they can race, not on we can do without them as all they do is cust cause lots of problems to the promoters.

I would rather see a team of dedicated riders that do thier all for thier teams than, these top class riders that treat us as a joke.

Keep the fast track riders scheme, but with major rule changes, there are several riders that are well above the class of the other riders and they should be given a chance in the main body of the teams. That is if the promoters have got enough faith in them to give them a full team slot, but something needs to change there.

It would be nice to see a British rider from the PL riding at No.6 and a genuine young rider, who has riden nothing but NL at No.7

Also when a restart is called, then they go straight back to the start line, non of this going back to the pits to change tyres or bike settings and have a chat and a cup of coffee, it went really well lastnight at Coventry, and was really good to see as the meeting flowed so much better.

So much more to say but don't think I have the space on here.

Lets hope that at this years AGM they get it right, also I hope that they have been working instead of shirking to find a new sposer as it has been ridiculess, that the BPSA have not found a new one in year after Sky pulled out, they can't afford to lose money like that, but if they do get one it needs to be spent much wiser than the way they scandered the money from Sky.

Edited by weatherwatcher

This is nothing to do with team building or general rule changes... One petty thing that annoys me, Riders delaying starts, so called gardening...it gets tedious at times. I feel for start marshalls, they try to get riders up to the tapes but they generally get ignored. I'd like an additional light or clock placed by the startline, operated by the ref, say a 5 or 10 second countdown to green light and tapes up. Also, should a race be stopped due to an unsatisfactory start, it should be straight back to the tapes, the pit gates stay closed, no bike adjustments allowed.

There is no reason for this as it is covered in the current rules but the referees generally do not apply it. The riders must be ready to race within the 2 minutes and if they are not then they should be excluded but most referees switch off the 2 minute light when the riders are in the vicinity of the start but not ready to race.

A league like American Football would suit speedway.

The only problem is you would have to have a certain number of teams and gaurentee that they would be back each season.