British Speedway Forum
Skodaman

Leicester Lions 2015

The major crashes I have seen which have led to serious injury have occured on dry/normal tracks where speed is far greater than when wet tracks are an issue. In these wet conditions the riders ride slower and more careful, yes the racing is less exciting and yes some fall off and many slide down slowly and dont even get to the fence. yes safety is always an issue, but in this case it was used as an excuse in the hope that the meeting gets called off.

I'd keep quiet about that, if i were you.

If the H&S Executive find out, they'll be requiring all tracks to be flooded before matches can take place.

• Like 1

From The Lions Facebook page.

It is with regret that we bring the sad news that Dennis Manton passed away today. Dennis was a life-long fan of Speedway who first attended meetings at Blackbird Road during the days of the Hunters. When the sport returned to Leicester in 1968 Dennis followed the Lions through to closure of the stadium.During the intervening years Dennis was an active campaigner, often canvassing people door to door to raise awareness and lobbying support for the return of speedway to Leicester. Along with other like-minded people his work led to the submission of a petition to the local authority and subsequently Dennis became a member of an Action Group that began to look at possible land in and around the County of Leicestershire to build a new speedway stadium.During the time throughout the building of the stadium in Beaumont Leys, Dennis was involved as a volunteer in many ways and his dream of seeing his beloved sport return finally came to fruition in 2011. A long serving member of the Leicester Speedway Supporters Club and a driving force in raising funds to support the club and team on match days Dennis will be greatly missed by the speedway fraternity. He had a special place in the hearts of Lions fans and his absence will leave a great void within the club.

-----------------------------

RIP to such a lovely man xxx

• Like 2

RIP in peace Dennis, such a shame to lose a man with so much drive and ambition, that he had to help bring the sport back to Leicester. Had quite a few chats with him on race night, a great bloke. Hope that where you are now all the old speedway riders have got stadiums and you get to see a meeting every day.

The only thing I feel sorry about is that he never managed to get to BP to actually see that plaque fitted onto the stand. At least he knew that the fans had raised the money for it. That is if he was well enough to understand, about it as I know he was vet poorly at the time. A great honour for a great man

Edited by weatherwatcher
  • Like 1

From The Lions Facebook page.

It is with regret that we bring the sad news that Dennis Manton passed away today. Dennis was a life-long fan of Speedway who first attended meetings at Blackbird Road during the days of the Hunters. When the sport returned to Leicester in 1968 Dennis followed the Lions through to closure of the stadium.During the intervening years Dennis was an active campaigner, often canvassing people door to door to raise awareness and lobbying support for the return of speedway to Leicester. Along with other like-minded people his work led to the submission of a petition to the local authority and subsequently Dennis became a member of an Action Group that began to look at possible land in and around the County of Leicestershire to build a new speedway stadium.During the time throughout the building of the stadium in Beaumont Leys, Dennis was involved as a volunteer in many ways and his dream of seeing his beloved sport return finally came to fruition in 2011. A long serving member of the Leicester Speedway Supporters Club and a driving force in raising funds to support the club and team on match days Dennis will be greatly missed by the speedway fraternity. He had a special place in the hearts of Lions fans and his absence will leave a great void within the club.

-----------------------------

RIP to such a lovely man xxx

That is really sad news, did so much for the sports return in Leicester

Thoughts with his family RIP Dennis

• Like 1

RIP in peace Dennis, such a shame to lose a man with so much drive and ambition, that he had to help bring the sport back to Leicester. Had quite a few chats with him on race night, a great bloke. Hope that where you are now all the old speedway riders have got stadiums and you get to see a meeting every day.

The only thing I feel sorry about is that he never managed to get to BP to actually see that plaque fitted onto the stand. At least he knew that the fans had raised the money for it. That is if he was well enough to understand, about it as I know he was vet poorly at the time. A great honour for a great man

Sadly he was never well enough to make the trip to BP and yes he did pass knowing that the money had been raised

• Like 1

TMW.

So glad that Dennis was able to understand, in his final days, how much the fans at BP loved him. It is just a shame he never got to see the plaque though. But I still think he would have been happy enough, when he found out how much all the fans thought of him.

• Like 3

I see that in this week's Speedway Start there is a report (Scunthorpe news item) that Josh Auty has had an operation on his injured hand and will be out for 8 weeks. If this takes us up to the end of July Lions only have 7 matches after that.

How about Darcy Ward coming to Leicester and joining fellow Aussies Doyle and Masters for the rest of the season?

Edited by mrcts
  • Like 1

How about Darcy Ward coming to Leicester and joining fellow Aussies Doyle and Masters for the rest of the season?

That will never happen

It just may happen, it has been said that 4 clubs are interesed in him, but his average his to high for some of those. The lions have quite a few points to spare on that score. So yes it could happen. I think Poole have looked at the opions and want to palm him off to another club for the rest of the season, noy because they can't fit him in, but I belive it is to see if he has learnt his lesson, and behaves himself, before they have him back again, because if Poole wanted him, they would find a way to do it.

That will never happen

Why won't it? Anything can happen in Speedway if the price is right.

Why won't it? Anything can happen in Speedway if the price is right.

He rides in Poland as soon as his ban ends,so a Saturday team wouldn't fit his schedule, also he won't come cheap which would be probably another reason he won't be at leciester

But you are right anything can happen in speedway but can't see ward a Leicester rider.

He rides in Poland as soon as his ban ends,so a Saturday team wouldn't fit his schedule, also he won't come cheap which would be probably another reason he won't be at leciester

But you are right anything can happen in speedway but can't see ward a Leicester rider.

He rides for the same team as Doyle in Poland, so it must be possible.

TBH, Leicester with no nonsence Norris may be the answer for Darcy. Will teach him to focus on his gating too - or get his average down without fiddling!

Edited by SCB

It just may happen, it has been said that 4 clubs are interesed in him, but his average his to high for some of those. The lions have quite a few points to spare on that score. So yes it could happen. I think Poole have looked at the opions and want to palm him off to another club for the rest of the season, noy because they can't fit him in, but I belive it is to see if he has learnt his lesson, and behaves himself, before they have him back again, because if Poole wanted him, they would find a way to do it.

Lions need someone in place for the 19th, Cov away, as the facility for Bridger will have expired. Unless they go for a 6 point PL rider for probably 4 meetings.

Edited by TMW