British Speedway Forum

Excellent news. I hope the new stadium is completed on time with a superb track and facilities.

For those who can't just enjoy taking pleasure from this good news without taking a dig at Belle Vue they may want to consider that they are comparing two entirely different projects. The National Stadium project was initiated and taken forward by Belle Vue, they have been responsible for the design, raising the necessary financial guarantees and will own and run the stadium. As I understand it, Swindon will be tenants of a stadium which someone else is having built. They are not quietly getting on with anything other than waiting for others to consult with them, as necessary and to provide them with the finished stadium.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 3

I see the plans involve housing. Sandhu could do something similar and not knock Brandon stadium down.

I see the plans involve housing. Sandhu could do something similar and not knock Brandon stadium down.

It's a concern that there doesn't seem to be any progress towards finding a new home for the Bees. It would be a tragedy if a club with the history and stature of Coventry were to be lost to the sport.

I just hope that when the housing project has been finished and all the people move into their little boxes. That they don't start winging and wineing about the noise coming from the stadium.

It is always a problem when you have houses close to the track, even when folks know it is there, you always get some A**e who will get up a petition, to stop all the noise daft sods and so petty too.

I just hope that who ever is designing the track do a better job of it then they did at Leicester, because that is an issue, of a blank canvas that went terribly wrong. If they had just let Sam Emerlenco finish what he starte instead of pulling up all the pegs he put down and then DH changed it all to his own idea, that has been a contention of so many people about a track that needs to be changed, but the powers that be see no wrong and won't back down.

I wish all the Robins fans the best in their new home and that it dosen't bring you any problems.

Sandu has prommised the Bees so much with even telling them last season that he would find them a new home and build a new stadium before the 3 years are up. Well thats 1 nearlly gone and still no signs of anything further happening. Just hope they get sorted out because to lose the Bees would be a tragic lose to the sport, far to many clubs have been lost over the years because of greedy landlords.

Edited by weatherwatcher
  • Like 1

Jeremy Heaver has comment on the Facebook site that they've look at sites in and around Coventry but nothing suitable yet.

A lot more detail on the stadium here. I like the sound of the new lighting (although I'm not sure what LED lighting is) but my tired old eyes often struggle to see the far corner of the track on dark evenings.

http://www.swindonlinksport.com/2015/03/20/building-work-on-robins-new-home-to-begin-inside-three-months/

Here is some info on LED (Light Emitting Diodes) lighting which will give much improved viewing compared to the existing lights.

• Long and predictable lifetime: The projected lifetime of LED street lights is usually 10 to 15 years, two to four times the life of currently used lights
  • More accurate colour rendering. Improved colour rendering makes it easier for drivers to recognize potential road hazards
  • Quick turn on and off: Unlike fluorescent lamps, which take time to heat up once switched on, LEDs come on with full brightness instantly.
  • Less attractive to nocturnal insects: Nocturnal insects are attracted to ultraviolet light emitted by many conventional light sources.
  • Reduced glare: Directing the light downward onto the roadway reduces the amount of light that is directed into driver's eyes.
  • Higher light output even at low temperatures: While fluorescent lights are comparably energy efficient, on average they tend to have lesser light output at winter temperatures

I just hope that when the housing project has been finished and all the people move into their little boxes. That they don't start winging and wineing about the noise coming from the stadium.

It is always a problem when you have houses close to the track, even when folks know it is there, you always get some A**e who will get up a petition, to stop all the noise daft sods and so petty too.

I just hope that who ever is designing the track do a better job of it then they did at Leicester, because that is an issue, of a blank canvas that went terribly wrong. If they had just let Sam Emerlenco finish what he starte instead of pulling up all the pegs he put down and then DH changed it all to his own idea, that has been a contention of so many people about a track that needs to be changed, but the powers that be see no wrong and won't back down.

I wish all the Robins fans the best in their new home and that it dosen't bring you any problems.

Sandu has prommised the Bees so much with even telling them last season that he would find them a new home and build a new stadium before the 3 years are up. Well thats 1 nearlly gone and still no signs of anything further happening. Just hope they get sorted out because to lose the Bees would be a tragic lose to the sport, far to many clubs have been lost over the years because of greedy landlords.

I live near the stadium and was advised by the local councillor that new design techniques will reduce the amount of noise that escapes the new stadium.

That is good news then. I would think in this day and age that any new stadium could be made almost sound proof, with the modern technology they have brought in to alter and move the sound around.

All sounded good til they announced they are designing the track shape to be the same as Cardiff....zzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 1

Are we installing the grade 2 listed back street bogs? :)

• Like 2

Excellent news. I hope the new stadium is completed on time with a superb track and facilities.

For those who can't just enjoy taking pleasure from this good news without taking a dig at Belle Vue they may want to consider that they are comparing two entirely different projects. The National Stadium project was initiated and taken forward by Belle Vue, they have been responsible for the design, raising the necessary financial guarantees and will own and run the stadium. As I understand it, Swindon will be tenants of a stadium which someone else is having built. They are not quietly getting on with anything other than waiting for others to consult with them, as necessary and to provide them with the finished stadium.

It was more a dig at Philip Rising and his odd concepts of big news and news that isn't worth mentioning.

What has made me laugh is Ronnie Russell is going to be sourcing material for a new track. Oi, Ronnie,theres a 350ish metre speedway track made of shale 200 yards from the new stadium that is going to be knocked down soon, why not use some of that? :D

Edited by SCB

The track will have to layed and allowed to settle well before the old stadium is demolished. That is unless they rip out the old track and go grass track for this season instead, would be a bit different for the EL for a grass track for the visiting teams to come to though. Or if push can to shove they could always race on the dog track.

No it will be a major project just to get the track layed down, bedded in and settled for next season. As we have seen in the GP's the temory tracks that are laid down a few days or weeks before the meeting, start to break up very quickly as they have not had the time to bed the surfaces in. With the right people behind the job of putting down the track and getting it rady for next year it will be a mamouth opperation, So no you could not use the shale that is next door.

I just hope that when it is built that it will be a track to make British speedway proud of and a first for many years as the Lions got it terribly wrong on many scores, to small a stadium. By far and a track that very few people have much faith in. Just wished that I had the money to buy the place and start it all again from scratch, it could be so much better than it is now.

So please Swindon get it right and give British speedway a really good stadium, hoping that it will shame some of the poor, old and tired stadiums a boot up the bottom to think about doing the same and bring our sport into the 21st centuary.

The track will have to layed and allowed to settle well before the old stadium is demolished. That is unless they rip out the old track and go grass track for this season instead, would be a bit different for the EL for a grass track for the visiting teams to come to though. Or if push can to shove they could always race on the dog track.

No it will be a major project just to get the track layed down, bedded in and settled for next season. As we have seen in the GP's the temory tracks that are laid down a few days or weeks before the meeting, start to break up very quickly as they have not had the time to bed the surfaces in. With the right people behind the job of putting down the track and getting it rady for next year it will be a *****mamouth ******opperation, So no you could not use the shale that is next door.

I just hope that when it is built that it will be a track to make British speedway proud of and a first for many years as the Lions got it terribly wrong on many scores, to small a stadium. By far and a track that very few people have much faith in. Just wished that I had the money to buy the place and start it all again from scratch, it could be so much better than it is now.

So please Swindon get it right and give British speedway a really good stadium, hoping that it will shame some of the poor, old and tired stadiums a boot up the bottom to think about doing the same and bring our sport into the 21st centuary.

They have already rung up the museum to borrow a few to run round the track as they lay it.

Yet again I would wait intill the stadium is complete before we start jumping up and down today means nowt to me ... I was so shocked today to read that Swindon Speedway were thanking Osbourne Clark for the stadium, first of all he not doing it not for the love of sport the only reason was that he was force to built it so he could line his own pockets . Also this man has closed down many clubs and is hated by most speedway fans and I thought the comment was in very poor taste .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

It sounds like the 400 or so houses that are being built on the ajoining land will go a long way to paying for the new stadium. The owners of speedway stadiums unless they actually own the club and the stadium never do the clubs any favours. What ever they do only speaks out that they will grab every penny any way they can.