British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TividaleHeathen

Heathens 2015

Hope this makes sense.The yellow lines represent 150 yards using Google Earths` ruler.`The Buxton track has been superimposed onto the Grazebrook site so hopefully to scale.Still don`tthink its big enough

21edd1l.jpg

Hope this makes sense.The yellow lines represent 150 yards using Google Earths` ruler.`The Buxton track has been superimposed onto the Grazebrook site so hopefully to scale.Still don`tthink its big enough

21edd1l.jpg

Bugger I double clicked as well :)

Edited by martin_t
  • Like 1

Replying to the post from Gustix, it is true that the track at Bordesley Green was built as a joint stock car and speedway track and although I accept that the two sports can and do live with each other as at Coventry for example, the killer was in the fact that anyone who wanted to, was allowed to drive stock cars round Bordesley Green every day of the week and whatever the weather conditions were, and even after the venue had closed down for the night, the clever boys would force open the entrance gates and drive round until late and night.

The track was a really good shape and received fulsome praise from many of the riders when the speedway was first launched there, but it couldn't stand the battering it got from the cars which wrecked the base and the quality of the racing deteriorated sharply because the riders didn't trust the track surface.

We tried very hard to come to some kind of agreement over usage with the stock car promoters including doubling the width of the bends so that speedway would use the inside section and the cars the outside, but the Wheels operators would always say that the track was there to be used as often as possible and no matter how bad the weather was, they wouldn't say "no" when someone turned up with a car and wanted to drive it round.

We did make an agreement with the stock car promoters Incarace that cars would stay off the track on Thursdays so that it could be prepared for speedway which at the time ran on Friday nights, but the Wheels people just wouldn't enforce it and time after time in the second season especially, our people would spend Thursday afternoon and evening preparing the track only to find it wrecked again by the cars by the next night.

I doubt that Bordesley Green would ever have been an outstanding success - it was in the wrong part of the City really, but with a bit of sensible give and take I do think that it could have paid its way without ever making anyone a fortune.

21edd1l.jpg

21edd1l.jpg

Bugger I double clicked as well :)

Martin I can see you are a bit of a wizz with computers, coming South East as you look at the Pic there is an amount of ground which could be used, currently its a buffer between the Ind Estate and The Nature Reserve, its is the first squiggly line that you can see, its a fenced pathway seperating the Ind Est and Nature reserve, Now if that lands useable it alters everything, if its not useable then you are correct, but then again everything is down to Hulberts. :neutral:

Martin I can see you are a bit of a wizz with computers, coming South East as you look at the Pic there is an amount of ground which could be used, currently its a buffer between the Ind Estate and The Nature Reserve, its is the first squiggly line that you can see, its a fenced pathway seperating the Ind Est and Nature reserve, Now if that lands useable it alters everything, if its not useable then you are correct, but then again everything is down to Hulberts. :neutral:

i didn't superimpose it very well as its over the corner of that industrial unit so its needs moving a tad.Also there's an electricity pylon on the border between nature reserve and available land

Replying to the post from Gustix, it is true that the track at Bordesley Green was built as a joint stock car and speedway track and although I accept that the two sports can and do live with each other as at Coventry for example, the killer was in the fact that anyone who wanted to, was allowed to drive stock cars round Bordesley Green every day of the week and whatever the weather conditions were, and even after the venue had closed down for the night, the clever boys would force open the entrance gates and drive round until late and night.

The track was a really good shape and received fulsome praise from many of the riders when the speedway was first launched there, but it couldn't stand the battering it got from the cars which wrecked the base and the quality of the racing deteriorated sharply because the riders didn't trust the track surface.

We tried very hard to come to some kind of agreement over usage with the stock car promoters including doubling the width of the bends so that speedway would use the inside section and the cars the outside, but the Wheels operators would always say that the track was there to be used as often as possible and no matter how bad the weather was, they wouldn't say "no" when someone turned up with a car and wanted to drive it round.

We did make an agreement with the stock car promoters Incarace that cars would stay off the track on Thursdays so that it could be prepared for speedway which at the time ran on Friday nights, but the Wheels people just wouldn't enforce it and time after time in the second season especially, our people would spend Thursday afternoon and evening preparing the track only to find it wrecked again by the cars by the next night.

I doubt that Bordesley Green would ever have been an outstanding success - it was in the wrong part of the City really, but with a bit of sensible give and take I do think that it could have paid its way without ever making anyone a fortune.

An excellent explanation. There is a detailed look at this venture on the ultra-excellent Defunct Speedways - there is a LINK available but I am in "BSF default" over posting these. You may know the forum I refer to - it has been publicised on the BSF many times over the years and is operated by my very good friend John Skinner. A Google search should bring it up the site for you.

Taking your points, never dealt with Hulberts, Nowhere near big enough its my belief you are wrong, there is more land there than the basic 65,000sq ft stated, a Buxton type facility would fit into the land available, I know Iv walked it, not just looked try to google the land before you reach the Nature Reserve. Traffic congestion ?? I never notice much Traffic on Sunday evenings between 5-oopm and 10-00pm, I live just off Peartree lane and no-one has more knowledge of the Traffic situation than me, believe me Tommy i know.

So its my firm belief that land could support a Speedway Track, The Traffic congestion can be avoided, but Hulberts need to be convinced to change (according to you) there attitude to leasing there land to a Speedway team. This land has been lying idle since before Cradley Heath lost Dudley Wood, surely an annual rent whilst waiting to build is better than nought ??.

Regards Hulberts,can only go on past experence when they had their office on Cinder Bank.

The security was pretty tight,and dont think they liked you to wander around their yard and premises.

Havent been down since they moved the head office to the Peartree Lane site,but presume the restrictions still apply to the general public wandering around,which would be the case if a speedway track became a part of their estate.

Sorry if i got confused about the traffic problem,was only going on my experiences when visiting suppliers in Pedmore Rd and Netherton.(not on sundays).

Anyway good luck in finding a new site,think Sandwell might now be a better bet,as Dudley Council seem determined to wash their hands of any sporting activity in the borough.

How long is it now that Dudley Town F.C.have been trying to find somewhere suitable.

So have teams like Scunthorpe did this year?

Why not? If teams were more equal, there would be better racing. I went to a couple of Cradley matches this year; talk about boring ...

• Like 1

So it does seem according to Nigel Pearson,Ladbrokes have plans to run more greyhound meetings,with the lucrative betting markets around the world being the reason.

So really it had nothing to do with rent rise or anything else that doesnt relate to the dog racing.

Despite having not covered expences in 2014 and relocating to a new Track, Cradley Heathens have announced the following; “We are pegging our admission prices at £11 adults, £8 concessions and £2 children and our programme will again be available for £2.50.

Edited by greyhoundp

Finally i found the quote from Nigel Pearson on Fb

"Nigel Pearson Ian - the club has lost money this season and the only reason I referred to this fact was to try and address some suggestions that we are only in this for the money. Not this season, for sure, we haven't even taken expenses!! In the bigger picture of the track situation I agree, nothing to do with it. Cheers."

Which makes it even more of goodwill gesture that Cradley Heathens haved pegged ticket prices at the same level as last year, now all that remains is for us to find another 5 riders.

Following on from our first 2 signings of Michael Neale and Nathan Greaves, who is being announced tomorrow morning ? it seems we have whoever this may be and another who is being announced at the Christmas party, apparently this rider will also be Captain.

4th heathen mate. Great signing

Yeah, i was thinking 3rd 3 pointer signed up nice mix between them, and loads of potential, it will be good to watch them progress as the season goes on.