British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TividaleHeathen

Heathens 2015

A beating drum in stock car circles is the possibility of four wheel tenants moving in...but only from "a few theories/possibilities" I have gleaned from FACEBOOK visits. No more than that!

Has anyone heard more about this stock car possibility? I have read obscure comments as mentioned...hopefully it is just speculation>

I used to follow Long Eaton and Cradley years ago, so I know very well what it is like to lose your entertainment venue.

However, spilt milk remains spilt, efforts to recover it are fated to fail.

Surely, it is time for fans from both Birmingham and Cradley to get their heads together and come up with a majority ownership scheme as practiced in German soccer?

Then, find (or build) a venue within reach of both supporter bases and run both teams from there with consents for at least two meetings per week?

Whilst taking no pleasure at all from the predicament Cradley fans find themselves in, it is ironic that the bitterest critics of Buxton speedways' facility have been Cradley fans (along with Coventry riders) who are now faced with a problem that the Moss family overcame years ago!

Ownership or satisfactory control of your own premises is the only realistic way forward, Cradley have surely been the most affluent team in NL racing yet have still not kept their eyes on that ball, with a view to finding their own home.

A unique opportunity is now open for both Brummies and Heathens, I urge both sets of followers to meet up and take advantage of this, find a joint venue that you can control and get your sleeves rolled up regardless of what happens in the near future. Look to the horizon!

• Like 2

Nigel Pearson has just been on BBC WM and says Perry Barr is not an option unless the Brummies have a team riding there also.

Not sure if there will be a link anywhere online for the interview.

Later in the broadcast BBC WM aired a longer version of what Nigel Pearson said. He went on to quite rightly point out that Dudley Council have done nothing to assist the club in finding a suitable site despite their comments following the clubs resurrection….”In the last 4 years Dudley Council have not been in contact with me or any of the other members of the clubs management team to sidcuss possible sites”

A little later in the show Gary Patchett was on live & explained the reasoning behind Nigel’s comments regarding Perry Barr. He said that with Tony Mole still trying to get speedway back to Perry Barr it would be unfair to try & gazump him by trying to get Cradley there whilst negotiations were still ongoing for the Brummies to come back. He went on to say that all dealings with Ladbrokes were carried out via CVS & that Cradley’s tenancy at Monmore was reviewed by Ladbrokes on a yearly basis. He also went on to say that all 3 leagues clubs “ declaration of intent” would have to be made soon as to who wants to race & in what league & there may be further news on that on 2 – 3 weeks & that the clubs management were doing all they could to secure the clubs future...... I assume this to be following the promoters conferences in November.

BBC WM contacted Ladbrokes for a response & they issued a statement that said they have got future plans for Monmore but for commercial reasons were unwilling to discuss them but they wished the club all the best for the future........ I took this to mean excluding Monday nights speedway.

I dont know if these interviews will be repeated throughout the day during sports bullletins.

I dont know if these interviews will be repeated throughout the day during sports bullletins.

They are on the iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p028g6n2

The Pearson interview starts about 02:35:00 and its followed by Gary Patchett's.

It seemed to me that Tuesdays arnt completley a no-go, it just seems Ladbrokes wont make the stadium available on enough Tuesdays for Heathens to run a full fixture list.

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 1

I used to follow Long Eaton and Cradley years ago, so I know very well what it is like to lose your entertainment venue.

However, spilt milk remains spilt, efforts to recover it are fated to fail.

Surely, it is time for fans from both Birmingham and Cradley to get their heads together and come up with a majority ownership scheme as practiced in German soccer?

Then, find (or build) a venue within reach of both supporter bases and run both teams from there with consents for at least two meetings per week?

Whilst taking no pleasure at all from the predicament Cradley fans find themselves in, it is ironic that the bitterest critics of Buxton speedways' facility have been Cradley fans (along with Coventry riders) who are now faced with a problem that the Moss family overcame years ago!

Ownership or satisfactory control of your own premises is the only realistic way forward, Cradley have surely been the most affluent team in NL racing yet have still not kept their eyes on that ball, with a view to finding their own home.

A unique opportunity is now open for both Brummies and Heathens, I urge both sets of followers to meet up and take advantage of this, find a joint venue that you can control and get your sleeves rolled up regardless of what happens in the near future. Look to the horizon!

Sensible post, however the fact remains, many sites have been looked at by both Teams over the years, and None have been suitable, somewhere in the Sandwell Valley would be an ideal location for both, on a long term lease, purchasing land would not be a viable option.

I still believe Cradley need to approach this company with a view to leasing what is described as Phase 2 on the Plan,

http://www.grazebrookpark.com/the-park

Note the distance from houses. surely even Dudley Council cant object ?.

Edited by greyhoundp

Whilst I wish the Heathens every success in their efforts to keep their club afloat, there are serious restrictions on the use of Perry Barr for speedway which would make a full time track share (as opposed to the staging of a few Cradley meetings like they did in the first season of the "new" Heathens era) very difficult.

Planning conditions allow speedway on one evening per week (either Wednesday or Thursday) or in certain circumstances either a Monday or a Tuesday conditional on there being no meeting on the Wednesday or Thursday of the same week, plus Good Friday (when a local bye law does not allow on-course betting so the stadium cannot stage a dog meeting) and the four Bank Holiday Sundays (again when there is no other meeting in the same week.) The City Council have varied the Sunday condition to allow a rained-off Bank Holiday Sunday meeting to be re-staged on a non-Bank Holiday Sunday, subject to a maximum of five Sunday meetings. All meetings are limited to a maximum of 21 races so double-headers are not possible.

The short term answer for Cradley I think, is to try and utilise the Monday nights when Wolverhampton have no meeting, and the Wednesday nights when Birmingham don't. Overall, there may be sufficient free dates to accomodate Cradley's fixtures but of course, allowance has to be made at both venues for rain-off's.

This would probably force Cradley to stay in the National League which they have now outgrown, but hopefully this would only be a temporary arrangement and something more permanent could be worked out for the future.

Good luck Heathens - you do not deserve this kick in the teeth.

• Like 1

Whilst I wish the Heathens every success in their efforts to keep their club afloat, there are serious restrictions on the use of Perry Barr for speedway which would make a full time track share (as opposed to the staging of a few Cradley meetings like they did in the first season of the "new" Heathens era) very difficult.

Planning conditions allow speedway on one evening per week (either Wednesday or Thursday) or in certain circumstances either a Monday or a Tuesday conditional on there being no meeting on the Wednesday or Thursday of the same week, plus Good Friday (when a local bye law does not allow on-course betting so the stadium cannot stage a dog meeting) and the four Bank Holiday Sundays (again when there is no other meeting in the same week.) The City Council have varied the Sunday condition to allow a rained-off Bank Holiday Sunday meeting to be re-staged on a non-Bank Holiday Sunday, subject to a maximum of five Sunday meetings. All meetings are limited to a maximum of 21 races so double-headers are not possible.

The short term answer for Cradley I think, is to try and utilise the Monday nights when Wolverhampton have no meeting, and the Wednesday nights when Birmingham don't. Overall, there may be sufficient free dates to accomodate Cradley's fixtures but of course, allowance has to be made at both venues for rain-off's.

This would probably force Cradley to stay in the National League which they have now outgrown, but hopefully this would only be a temporary arrangement and something more permanent could be worked out for the future.

Good luck Heathens - you do not deserve this kick in the teeth.

I second what you have put forward as a Heathens fan........The only way I see Cradley at Perry Bar is as joint tenants in the NL and hope that they do not get through to the Play Offs or a long way in the KO Cup!

As I said earlier...unless a miracle occurs this is possibly "The End" for the Heathens.

They are on the iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p028g6n2

The Pearson interview starts about 02:35:00 and its followed by Gary Patchett's.

It seemed to me that Tuesdays arnt completley a no-go, it just seems Ladbrokes wont make the stadium available on enough Tuesdays for Heathens to run a full fixture list.

How many dates equates to a full fixture list in the National League,7 home fixtures plus maybe 2 play offs.Its hardly taxing within a 28 week season.

Very worrying if rumours of stock cars at Monmore are true. Thats absolutely the last thing the track needs.

Hopefully not the end for Cradley, fingers crossed you'll be able to sort something for 2015.

Edited by mb1990

Very worrying if rumours of stock cars at Monmore are true. Thats absolutely the last thing the track needs.

Hopefully not the end for Cradley, fingers crossed you'll be able to sort something for 2015.

But who actually owns the Track itself ie who laid it, is it CVS who is responsible or is it Monmore Stadia ? i cant see CVS consentingto have the existing Track used for Stock cars. Planning permission would definately be an issue, houses not to far away, and Stocks can be far louder than Speedway. Personally i think this rumour is just that, a rumour.

But who actually owns the Track itself ie who laid it, is it CVS who is responsible or is it Monmore Stadia ? i cant see CVS consentingto have the existing Track used for Stock cars. Planning permission would definately be an issue, houses not to far away, and Stocks can be far louder than Speedway. Personally i think this rumour is just that, a rumour.

I second what you have put forward as a Heathens fan........The only way I see Cradley at Perry Bar is as joint tenants in the NL and hope that they do not get through to the Play Offs or a long way in the KO Cup!

As I said earlier...unless a miracle occurs this is possibly "The End" for the Heathens.

As you say Joint Tenants in the NL would be workable, Im sure some supporters of both Teams would go along to watch important meetings

A beating drum in stock car circles is the possibility of four wheel tenants moving in...but only from "a few theories/possibilities" I have gleaned from FACEBOOK visits. No more than that!

Has anyone heard more about this stock car possibility? I have read obscure comments as mentioned...hopefully it is just speculation>

This mention of stock cars was on a Facebook post - something to do with the possible loss of stock car facilities at Brandon.

Surely having Cradley there on a Tuesday with a crowd similar to that of Wolves on a Monday,it is more profitable than having the stadium closed.As a Wolves supporter,you have to ask if Ladbrokes can do without Cradley then maybe in the future they can do without Wolves.What I can't understand is why this has come out of the blue,only a month ago the talk from the promoters was of moving up a league and increasing the amount of dates not reducing them.Were the promotion as taken by surprise like the fans or did they know this was coming.

Apparently a BAGS greyhound meeting can be worth up to £6,000 to the track which even if no one turns up is worth more than the rent/ bar takings from a speedway meeting.Maybe Monmore has that in mind?

Sensible post, however the fact remains, many sites have been looked at by both Teams over the years, and None have been suitable, somewhere in the Sandwell Valley would be an ideal location for both, on a long term lease, purchasing land would not be a viable option.

I still believe Cradley need to approach this company with a view to leasing what is described as Phase 2 on the Plan,

http://www.grazebrookpark.com/the-park

Note the distance from houses. surely even Dudley Council cant object ?.

Phase 2 is 65,000 sq feet....The Monmore track on its own is 92,500 sq feet or thereabouts...so a very small track and nowhere to watch from?