British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

A Format To Suit Fans And Riders

That said, you must have some sort of fixed nights for speedway.

Why?

I like the idea of one big Premier League, but not all the other pointless trophys and cups which time and time again have proved unattractive for fans.

North and South leagues are win, but 20 fixtures is not enough, it needs to be half as many again. Each league needs a play-off with at least four teams, this keeps the season alive for as many clubs as possible.

The aim should be to provide enough meetings so that riders can make a living in Britain without having to double up, down, left and right.

If we get rid of the "top" riders then there would be no reason why clubs can't ride any night of the week they want.

I also don't get a north/south split. With Wolves, Birmingham, Coventry and Leicester possibly ending up being split. So gone are 3 local derbies, in stead they all get 1 each. Brilliant idea! Throw in Peterborough not being a million miles away either. The problem with a north/south split is you potentially ruin local derbies. What if one of that lot end up split off from the rest, doesnt get the derbies and struggles?

Have a two tier league system, clubs race at their level, taking into account local derbies. Try and encourage half a dozen PL teams (including Brum in that list) into the EL so it's more even. The gap between EL and PL is closer than ever now.

And get over this stupid them and us battles between the EL and the PL. Grow up, we're all in the same mess with the same rubbish.

Edited by SCB

My poor geography lol but it gives you an idea, might be only 20 league meetings but with cups etc and success depending you could end up with over 30 meetings.

One could argue that the play offs should remain in both divisions to keep interest alive but it should be more about keep supporting your team.

At present you win the league and one club gets the glory, two cup competitions at the least gives a great opportunity.

Then it offers more individual meetings.

Can't see a better way forward in my eyes, could boost attendances and reduce travel costs for riders

North and South leagues are win, but 20 fixtures is not enough, it needs to be half as many again. Each league needs a play-off with at least four teams, this keeps the season alive for as many clubs as possible.

I personally think 22 fixtures one home one away is enough. But i also agree you should have a semi and final in both leagues, then a grand final.But in any event, it should all be done and dusted by the end of September, otherwise you will struggle with the Weather..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1