British Speedway Forum

Having a minimum points limit is an important thing to achieve an all round more competitive league. What Scunthorpe did last year was no good for anyone

Edited by Blackbird
  • Like 1

Having a minimum points limit is an important thing to achieve an all round more competitive league. What Scunthorpe did last year was no good for anyone

It doen't work in favour of riders. Some with good averages are just forced out of the sport. And after the start of a season one soon sees one team dominating and others floundering.

Speedway has lost the key factor of other sports - the club ethos of team building and relying too much on stupidity like guest riders and rider replacement rider. What other major sport has its competitors competing in several divisions?

Afterthought: have I ben too generous when I mention :major sport"? Can we classify speedway as such any longer?

Blackbird - a minimum points limit. Goodb-bye then to some big scorers maybe?

Edited by Guest

I've never understood why the points limit, regardless of the league, is so low

I mean, there are 90 points available in each match, meaning you need 45 just to get a draw, why wouldn't the limit be 45

I'm sure there is a good reason, I just don't know it

I mean, there are 90 points available in each match, meaning you need 45 just to get a draw, why wouldn't the limit be 45

I doubt that there is a good reason. That doesn't happen in speedway. :rolleyes:

Afterthought: have I ben too generous when I mention :major sport"? Can we classify speedway as such any longer?

Which Ben is this then! :lol:

I’ve always disagreed that the NL is a “Development League” it is merely a 3rd tier of a sport that is dying on its feet but that subject is for another thread.

As far as I’m concerned I want to watch a competitive meeting regardless of which league I am watching, therefore a minimum and maximum point’s limit should help to provide this.

I can never understand why teams are not made up of squads as opposed to just 7 riders, not only do you get cover for missing riders (some sort of handicap system could be introduced for the difference in riders averages) but you could even run a couple of match races at the start of the meeting to see who is in the team that night.

If every team was made to do this at least it would get rid of that bloody rider replacement guy that appears to turn up in around 90% of meetings these days.

Good luck to KK in 2015 - sorry I can't go with that early start time :cry:

Rant over off to work!

Edited by DragonsDen

A solid start for the Kings with those four signings, surely they now need to keep David Mason in some capacity if he is not signed to ride. At this level an experienced rider in the camp to help the youngsters is surely a must. Around 12 points to use on three more riders, two 3 pointers with the capacity to up those to 4.5 plus would be useful and a solid six pointer if the team averages for it.

From the Rye House site today;

SILVER KEEN TO SET RECORD STRAIGHT

Saturday December 06, 2014

Rye House promoter Len Silver has found it important to publicly respond to supporter speculation appearing on the terraces and internet suggesting his focus away from the Hoddesdon club in favour of matters elsewhere at Kent.

In a personal statement concerning his dual involvement with the Kings, he says: "My role at Rye House has changed this year because my son Andrew has been placed in charge of the re-launched Raiders in the National League. One of the conditions of that appointment was that Andrew had sole responsibility for setting up and managing the team, a situation I have been happy to agree with.

“I will, of course, remain as the promoter for the Rockets and be ultimately responsible for all Premier League action.

“Meanwhile at Kent, where I was deeply involved in the track building and setting up of the team at the direct request of main promoter and stadium owner Roger Cearns, who is a long standing friend, I will remain as co-promoter but mainly responsible for track preparation and initial team building.

“Once the season starts, new team manager Chris Hunt, who came in as assistant this year, will have full control of the team and its activities. My first responsibility is to try for a successful season for the Rockets, leaving Chris to do the same for Kent."

From the Rye House site today;

SILVER KEEN TO SET RECORD STRAIGHT

Saturday December 06, 2014

Rye House promoter Len Silver has found it important to publicly respond to supporter speculation appearing on the terraces and internet suggesting his focus away from the Hoddesdon club in favour of matters elsewhere at Kent.

In a personal statement concerning his dual involvement with the Kings, he says: "My role at Rye House has changed this year because my son Andrew has been placed in charge of the re-launched Raiders in the National League. One of the conditions of that appointment was that Andrew had sole responsibility for setting up and managing the team, a situation I have been happy to agree with.

“I will, of course, remain as the promoter for the Rockets and be ultimately responsible for all Premier League action.

“Meanwhile at Kent, where I was deeply involved in the track building and setting up of the team at the direct request of main promoter and stadium owner Roger Cearns, who is a long standing friend, I will remain as co-promoter but mainly responsible for track preparation and initial team building.

“Once the season starts, new team manager Chris Hunt, who came in as assistant this year, will have full control of the team and its activities. My first responsibility is to try for a successful season for the Rockets, leaving Chris to do the same for Kent."

So Chris Hunt has officially taked over from Mr Sampford ?

Good news if true.

• Like 1

Blackbird - a minimum points limit. Goodb-bye then to some big scorers maybe?

You appear to have misunderstood! A minimum points limit will give better opportunities to big scorers..

It's a too low MAXIMUM points limit which most adveresly affects big scorers!

Edited by Blackbird
  • Like 1

You appear to have misunderstood! A minimum points limit will give better opportunities to big scorers..

It's a too low MAXIMUM points limit which most adveresly affects big scorers!

Thank you for the clarification. But surely whatever happens some riders with better averages are forced out of the sport because of these sort of points schemes?

Edited by Guest

So Chris Hunt has officially taked over from Mr Sampford ?

Good news if true.

It's true and not before time, the best thing to have happened to Kent off track and one less Rye House influence.

• Like 1

Thank you for the clarification. But surely whatever happens some riders with better averages are forced out of the sport because of these sort of points schemes?

Yes that has and will continue to happen - and not good.

But last year, for example, Scunthorpe running a side way below the points limit and basically all three point riders denied three heat leaders a place in a fully functioning NL side so a MINIMUM points limit will mean (if it happens...) that a side in the NL can't just pick rookies so that'll be overall good news.

It's true and not before time, the best thing to have happened to Kent off track and one less Rye House influence.

Too true,I will drink to that - CHEERS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Because you're wrong. Aveages are calculated form 4 rides, there are 7 riders in a team. You only need about 42 to win, can be done with 40.2. But thats not what it's about,it's about equality, it's no good if 5 teams build to your 45 point figure but the other 5 teams in the league only have teams adding up to 30 is it? Where are the riders going to come from for your 45 point limit?