British Speedway Forum
Grand Central

The Dilemma Of Ole Olsen

Cant agree with that. Its purely a showpiece event. Every other year its half decent , but i'm pretty sure most people go for the atmosphere and the social aspect. Rather than staying sober as per usual i might try the social aspect this year :D

:lol::drink:

I think the time has come for him to move on or be moved on.

He is one of the sport's true legends. So I hope it can be done gracefully and respectfully with a phased handover of his responsibilities to a younger head and body with perhaps an ambassadorial role thrown in to sweeten it? Or if that's not possible, then its time to hand him his cards. He will be 70 next year and the time is coming sooner rather than later when he needs to go anyway. Warsaw put him on thin ice. That ice cracked in Vojens.

Normally agree with your posts, but not here.

The main issue in Warsaw was not the track, but the starting gate and poor.weak officials.

Vojens was one of the all time great meetings? Not much you could do about the first day rain off.

Not an Olsen fan, but we even got good racing in Prague this year.

• Like 1

The dilemma of Ole Olsen.

One of the founding fathers of the SGP, Race Director, promoter and Track curator.

Even I, who have never been able to stand the man, recognise that the SGP as we know it today just would not exist without him.

But ...

After Warsaw ...

After Vojens ... Removing the covers; even watering the track against the Race Directors advice on Saturday afternoon ! !

Now the PZM want nothing to do with him again

How much longer can he relied upon in such measure ?

Is he still up to it ?

But then the success of 2015 is almost totally in his hands.

He has to get Cardiff right in new circumstances.

Then the new Danish venue of Horsens ... a big name venue without a roof.

And then pull off Melbourne.

It would be a big ask for anyone.

What to do with the man?

I don't care what they do with Olsen. Just 'please' don't stuff up Melbourne. The GP here in 2015 is so important to speedway in this country. If they present something uninspiring it will be a disaster. Hope they have it sorted by October.

The track team is already in to Cardiff stadium, much longer time then the 6 days they normally have. So we should see, hopefully, a better track that will hold up to practice on the Friday and racing on the Saturday. If all goes well then Melbourne should be ok if they have the same amount of time.

The main issue in Warsaw was not the track, but the starting gate and poor.weak officials.

Vojens was one of the all time great meetings? Not much you could do about the first day rain off.

Olsen didn't do the Prague track - Tomas Topinka is your man there

• Like 1

The track team is already in to Cardiff stadium, much longer time then the 6 days they normally have. So we should see, hopefully, a better track that will hold up to practice on the Friday and racing on the Saturday. If all goes well then Melbourne should be ok if they have the same amount of time.

They are also running a 20 heat meeting this tues there which will test out the track

Normally agree with you too :-)

As I understood it, Ole Olsen's company were responsible for the starting gate in Warsaw. As for Vojens, I understand the track covers were ill-advisedly removed four hours ahead of Saturday's scheduled start-time. So Sunday morning's racing might have been good. But it's not much compensation to the thousands that were already on flights/ferries home or to TV companies with holes in their Saturday night schedule.

Melbourne in my opinion has a real chance to succeed Cardiff in the future if all goes smoothly in October. A true sporting city.

Needs to be a good track so the riders can race, not just ride. Make sure there is a spare start mechanism, and it is a great spectacle.

Then people will come back next year. If it is a success over a number of years then maybe we can put ourselves up there with Cardiff.