British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TMW

The Mighty Midget (armo) Considers His Future

From what i can see he is a really nice guy and put everything he had into speedway, 12k can be easily racked up by not only the running cost of speedway but the cost of everything else that goes with it, this year along to be up with the best of them last years silencers went out the window with a cost of over £200 each plus a oil at £8 a liter and a gallon of fuel at £8, so then you have a tyre to make sure your up with the rest, plus the to have an afternoon off work to ride speedway? At a guess to £61 to start a bike up then £16 a race to cover your service cost of £500 every 30 races of an engine x 5 races £141 running cost? at a guess then on top of that you have got clutch plates and chain wear and tear before you have to replace anything else that may go wrong. Jon's a nice guy let someone help him out if i had the money i would. speedway would be a lesser place if he was not in the sport.

Which is great news, top bloke! Does not matter which team it is when a rider falls and is in discomfort Armo is invariably the first man there to check the rider out and stays with him till he is back in the pits.

Not to mention he pulled of the move of the season last year at any level. When he dived between 2 buxton riders to take the lead entering turn 3 at mildenhall last year in the pairs.

SORRY QUOTED WRONG POST, I MEANT TO QUOTE ALEX

Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 2

You can't have a national development league without the experienced ones to guide them the right way! ;)

• Like 1

I was thinking the same. Perhaps this is a case of "Trigger's Broom" (Only Fools & Horses).

Looking at the bigger picture, it would've been far better for someone to invest £12k (or whatever the actual amount is) in the facilities/infrastructure at Loomer Rd., thereby enhancing the experience for the fans.

I don't think it is anything like 12K that has been raised. I think what has actually been raised is a few hundred pounds to buy a 2nd hand engine and get it up to John's standard. he has other engines but no time or money (Or will) to get them sorted as they would take a lot of work but hopefully this will tie him over till it gets sorted. This has highlighted the supplier's of engines and parts unscrupulous trading ethics though. It's win win for the suppliers "No comeback on racing parts" just buy, buy, buy. Sell, sell,sell........Kerching

Edited by TMW

I don't think it is anything like 12K that has been raised. I think what has actually been raised is a few hundred pounds to buy a 2nd hand engine and get it up to John's standard. he has other engines but no time or money (Or will) to get them sorted as they would take a lot of work but hopefully this will tie him over till it gets sorted. This has highlighted the supplier's of engines and parts unscrupulous trading ethics though. It's win win for the suppliers "No comeback on racing parts" just buy, buy, buy. Sell, sell,sell........Kerching

I guess thats were reputation come in. If there a supplier/tuner/service-guy out there whos engines keep blowing up, people will soon learn to avoid them. Just a shame for the few that get caught.

Good to hear Jon hasn't retired, he's a likable racer who has been a stalwart of the 3rd division with the odd, reasonable successful (almost too successful at times) foray into the 2nd division.

I know it sounds stupid and simplistic but can't bikes be designed to not disintegrate with mechanical failure - my car doesn't do this??? Isn't this one of those things that should be looked at for costs etc

I know it sounds stupid and simplistic but can't bikes be designed to not disintegrate with mechanical failure - my car doesn't do this??? Isn't this one of those things that should be looked at for costs etc

With engines, any engine, you can have fast or reliable. To get both is damn hard. You cars engine is designed and built to last a long time, not go fast. Don't forget you're barely stressing your engine when you drive it, how often is your foot planted firmly to the floor? Now consider how often a speedway rider has the throttle wide open.

The Gerhard engine that Bomber, Rob Lambert and PK are riding from time to time at the moment is in theory going to be more reliable, so they are trying to make this happen. But it's going to cost more to by in the first place.

Yes I would imagine you're correct, it won't be anything like £12k.

Yes I would imagine you're correct, it won't be anything like £12k.

I'm struggling to understand where you are coming from? but that is nothing new!!!!

Heyho !!!