British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
remembertheracers

Swindon's New Stadium

Just as a bit of a side issue - but nevertheless relevant to those tracks in a greyhound stadium - there have been a number of big articles in the national press recently about the 'demise' of greyhound racing!!

If not a demise then certainly a downward spiral in terms of attendance. This was also reflected in one of the BBC 1 programmes a couple of weeks ago about gambling and how many of the on-track bookmakers are only forecasting the sport continuing for maybe 5 years at best!!?

Not quite sure whether that presents a threat or an opportunity to Speedway promoters?!

All depends which tracks you go , 1 thing for sure panthers promo would love the attendances they get at the dogs , the place is heaving Saturday nights ,

The bad thing for Swindon fans I havent read 1 post on the greyhound forum where they think the new stadium will actually happen

Isn't the GRA now owned by venture capitalists who basically want to realise the value of all their land assets (i.e. stadia) ?

It should be made into an opportunity but, as ever, British Speedway will miss it.

If the BSPA had any foresight or intellect, they would develop a REAL plan and that involves getting the money men involved and being able to invest some real millions in it.

No it wouldn't be easy and would need business acumen and charisma, amongst other things, but it could be done.

First thing, change the rules on tracks sizes. The rules on minimum track length and width should be increased. A track the size/width of Poole should be considered the minimum.

Brace yourself for the howls of derision on that one! ;-)

Who are the money men ?

There are those who say tracks like Plymouth and the old New Cross and Wimbledon are ideal. Others, myself included prefer tracks like the old West Ham.

Problem is, if the racing is poor with riders strung out you want the race to end quickly, so small is good. But if the racing is close and exciting you don't want the race to finish, so big is better.

I would say track length of 350 yards with wide bends and slight banking is ideal.

• Like 1

There are those who say tracks like Plymouth and the old New Cross and Wimbledon are ideal. Others, myself included prefer tracks like the old West Ham.

Problem is, if the racing is poor with riders strung out you want the race to end quickly, so small is good. But if the racing is close and exciting you don't want the race to finish, so big is better.

I would say track length of 350 yards with wide bends and slight banking is ideal.

I would agree with that; 350 yards being around 320m. The reason I cited Poole is that it is one of the few that quotes length and widths.

I don't see how anybody could ever argue that the best small track is ever better than the best big track.

• Like 1

What size track was West Ham Custom?

Originally 440 yards but later reduced to 415 yards.

Ok didn't realise it was that big. Cheers.

Whilst certainly no lover of the changes that are going on I'm still pretty confident that there will be a new stadium.

It was always allowed that some houses would be built before work started on the new Stadium as a revenue raiser.

They are absolutely not allowed to complete their house building plans, nor indeed to demolish the Abbey without a new stadium in place.

As to Tomlinson quitting the Parliamentary Speedway group, well, he has been all over this plan- once we got him to see the error of his ways!- since the early days, so if it does all go wrong now he is heavily involved. He won't be dodging any awkward questions that may result.

As to Terry Russell saying its all tickety-boo, well, I like Terry, he's a good guy, but men at least as smart as him have been hood-winked by GI down the years.

Terry needs to be playing very hardball on this one.

• Like 1