British Speedway Forum
R87

Wolverhampton 2016

Rosco said Friday was one of the fixed race nights for 2017. The other night that is mentioned a lot is Wednesday

I think that is more his "wish" than a serious proposal. The number of clashes with the PL would make it impossible.

Surely Thursday is one? Isnt that why Kings Lynn moved dates

Friday will be one as 3 EL sides already ride Fridays plus Leicester are rumoured to want to. Coventry dont usually ride GP weekends, think people just use the GPs as an excuse to be honest. Plus some clubs could ride home meetings on either of the two nights.

If it's Friday, its utterly pointless.

The whole point of it is to have the EL and the PL run on separate nights.. massive problems are solved instantly by doing so.

• Like 4

Most if not all Dog tracks are finding times hard and could be more approachable to the wishes of their speedway clients than in past seasons.

Dont think you will find all dog tracks are having hard times.I know who makes the most profit at Monmore if its a toss up between speedway and greyhound racing.

As ive mentioned before,Wolverhampton being a BAGS affiliated track,and all their races being streamed online(especially Asia)they dont have to rely on paying customers for their revenue.In fact id be suprised if they needed a single punter to come through the turnstiles to make a profit.

Thats why i think CVS,s hands are tied on available race nights for speedway.Its quite obvious that Ladbrokes want speedway on Monday,s and the odd meeting on Tuesday.But not sure if either of those(certainly not Tuesday because of Sweden)is what the BSPA want regards fixed race nights in the UK.

Remains to be seen if things are going to happen in 2017.But personally i wouldnt bank on any changes taking place from what they are in 2016.

As an Elite League outsider my opinion is that both leagues should work together towards single race nights for both. For example if Elite was Thurs and Premier Friday then the GP boys could fly in and race then go to their GPs while doubling up guys only have to be in the UK for 48 hours, it would also allow weekends to be free to watch televised speedway and also not lose riders to GP Qualifiers and National events, I'd also have a 3 Brit minimum in the Premier to encourage home growth. I realise this will probably never happen.

Would the BSPA not have conducted some kind of "straw poll" with these "superstars" before making such a decision? If most "superstars" said no, then the BSPA would not have gone along with the plan for fixed nights from/in 2017 season..

Peter Adams was asked to speak to all the GP boys and they were all keen.

It's a bit like a fan asking a rider something ~ they'll just say what they think you want to hear. I'm not convinced the top riders will suddenly all start riding over here again if there are 2 set race nights but I guess we will find out in 2017.

• Like 1

The set nights for the Elite League is being talked about but the riders, promoters and stadium landlords have different ideas on which nights so it will need working out which way British Speedway wants to go.

The riders like Woffinden or Pedersen or Iversen etc want just ONE set race night and that would have to be Wednesday or Thursday. However Wednesday would appear best as a number of Premier League tracks use Thursday nights.

However SKY want Mondays and the sport need that money and more if they are looking at bringing back the big names for about 14 fixtures. SKY may be tempted with Wednesday but that would clash with Champions League football which is mainly BT SPORTS during the months it overlaps. Riders don't want to rush from GP to Poland to Britain and to Sweden in four consecutive days but under a squad system this may be able to be used.

However British Speedway appears to be looking at TWO set nights of Monday for half the fixtures and Wednesday for the other half if clubs only operate one meeting a week.

Mondays don't clash with anyone and Sky want that night so it seems likely it will be Mondays but depending on which way they go and who they want back would make a second night either required or not at all.

The set nights for the Elite League is being talked about but the riders, promoters and stadium landlords have different ideas on which nights so it will need working out which way British Speedway wants to go.

The riders like Woffinden or Pedersen or Iversen etc want just ONE set race night and that would have to be Wednesday or Thursday. However Wednesday would appear best as a number of Premier League tracks use Thursday nights.

However SKY want Mondays and the sport need that money and more if they are looking at bringing back the big names for about 14 fixtures. SKY may be tempted with Wednesday but that would clash with Champions League football which is mainly BT SPORTS during the months it overlaps. Riders don't want to rush from GP to Poland to Britain and to Sweden in four consecutive days but under a squad system this may be able to be used.

However British Speedway appears to be looking at TWO set nights of Monday for half the fixtures and Wednesday for the other half if clubs only operate one meeting a week.

Mondays don't clash with anyone and Sky want that night so it seems likely it will be Mondays but depending on which way they go and who they want back would make a second night either required or not at all.

no way on earth will all clubs do Monday or Wednesday 1/2 of them will be finished midway thro season

It's a bit like a fan asking a rider something ~ they'll just say what they think you want to hear. I'm not convinced the top riders will suddenly all start riding over here again if there are 2 set race nights but I guess we will find out in 2017.

It's nothing like a fan asking something at all.

Adams and other EL promoters speak to the top boys all the time about racing over here. And I'm sure they have a more professional relationship with the top boys than a casual fan.

However you make a valid point that I'm not convinced either that all the top boys will suddenly appear in 2017. That could only be a pipe dream.

However 2 set days is better than what currently doesn't work for most of the top boys.

Some will be interested but until we fall in line with the rest of Europe it won't entice everyone.

no way on earth will all clubs do Monday or Wednesday 1/2 of them will be finished midway thro season

Friday and Wednesday are the two days being looked at. As Tai says, Riders don't want to race in Poland and then rush here for Monday

Edited by mdmc82

Friday and Wednesday are the two days being looked at. As Tai says, Riders don't want to race on Poland and then rush here for Monday

I doubt Friday is an option given how many PL teams run on Friday, plus clashes with GP's would be ridiculous.

Wednesday and one of Monday/Thursday I would imagine are logical.

However it's down to the promoters or more importantly the greyhound/non stand alone tracks.

mdmc82, on 03 Jan 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

Friday and Wednesday are the two days being looked at. As Tai says, Riders don't want to race in Poland and then rush here for Monday

Would Wednesdays be a sensible set night ? Many clubs including your own are looking to bring in the young ones as the future spectators of the sport , surely a school night is a poor option ? Why are we now looking to dance to the tune of riders who may or may not ride in the UK anyway , could clubs afford to bring in the Superstars even if they became available ? Would it be a good idea to ASK US SUPPORTERS WHAT WE WANT ?

• Like 4