British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Electric6

A Way Forward For National League Racing?

Now what is the national league about? Should it be about teams winning titles and becoming the mini Poole of this league dominating or should it be about developing young British riders to progress up the ranks?

I think the National League needs in essence a Major Revamp - I think it HAS to focus on the individual rider rather than the team and thus I would propose the following

National League divided into North/South with more clubs asked to compete

National League North -

Birmingham

Buxton

Coventry

Cradley

Glasgow

Belle Vue

Edinburgh

Sheffield

National League South -

Eastbourne

Kent

Kings Lynn

Mildenhall

Rye House

Stoke

Peterborough/Ipswich

Poole

The season should run from May 1st - August 31st

Teams should consist of 4 rider teams with 1 reserve and the format should be 16 heats and 4 teams per meeting i.e. Eastbourne at home vs Kent vs Kings Lynn vs Mildenhall

This would focus on individual riding, not team riding with the emphasis on individual rider developement whilst working towards a team goal.

Each club get 14 home meetings and 14 away meetings.

Top 2 from each division meeting in the "Grand Final" at a neutral venue

Points awarded 4 for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd and 0 for last place.

This would offer any young rider plenty of meetings and experience and again with the emphasis of riding individually against 3 other riders who are not team-mates with the sole focus of winning, not looking out for your team-mate, not tactically riding etc. just pure racing, we could develop a set of riders with a winning mentality under this format.

Since when has Stoke been in the South its North of Birmingham and Coventry

ffs it was used as an example, it wasn't looked at with usage of a map or knowledge of locations, who cares where stoke is anyway

People living and working in Stoke maybe?