British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heathen chemistry

Live Match Streaming For Armchair Fans?

Speedway needs to enter the 21st century and start getting this organised asap. Quite a lot of music venues do this now (i.e. http://theconvent.net from Stroud) . It really isn't going to cut crowds, if anything (and if it's done properly) it has the potential to increase them significantly

Speedway needs to enter the 21st century and start getting this organised asap. Quite a lot of music venues do this now (i.e. http://theconvent.net from Stroud) . It really isn't going to cut crowds, if anything (and if it's done properly) it has the potential to increase them significantly

How do you know it won't cut crowds? Television broadcasts have increased in Poland and crowds have dropped. Crowds are generally lower in Sky broadcasts so why should they be higher because of some inferior betting broadcast ?

• Like 1

How do you know it won't cut crowds? Television broadcasts have increased in Poland and crowds have dropped. Crowds are generally lower in Sky broadcasts so why should they be higher because of some inferior betting broadcast ?

It won't cut crowds. It's horses for courses. Some people like to be beside the track, taking in the smell, the noise and the atmosphere. Some people prefer to sit at home and watch it in their pants whilst munching on a pot noodle. At the moment they aren't making any money from the arm chair fans.

I'd suggest the money gained from appealing the arm chair fans would generate a fair bit more than those who'd rather not go anymore. Not to mention many people already attending would subscribe for the benefit of watching away matches.

Speedway doesn't need "inferior betting broadcasts" it needs top quality pay-per-view broadcasting, with top commentary and analysis so that people really want to go and experience the real thing. I don't know for sure that it won't cut crowds but somehow the sport needs to be attracting the next generation of fans and following a policy of protection rather than imaginative broadcasting and sharing isn't going to do that.