British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Coventry V Wolves Monday 9th May

Apparently Bomber didnt want to pay for them. Bomber didn't use the Gerhard engine that often to be honest anyway.

I think that might be one of the reasons why they didn't want to give him the backing and said he'd have to pay for them.

it was mentioned quite a few times last season by Tatum I think that Gerhard wanted him to try them in the GP but he'd always ride his GM but would switch to the GTR for a final race which would usually do better.

Chris stated he couldn't afford the outlay for the engines (around 6-7 I seem to remember) so had to fall back on some of the GM's he'd already had + a couple of new.

it was Eskil Suter, less so Marcel who had concerns the Bomber wasn't showcasing the engines to the best of their ability so was interested in securing bigger names as factory riders. So far, this has proven a good investment from Gehard Motor Co in Freddie Lindgren.

Thanks, thats odd cos Bomber has been known to to get rid of a whole stockpile of engines ( which were seemingly going well) for a new load in the following season, I've often thought this has contributed to his slow starts to the season.

It's often been said over the years that Bombers biggest failing is his ability to know how to get the most out of the bike he's riding when back in the pits. So he always seemed an odd guy to have trying to develop/work on them with.

I thought the same, perhaps it was due to the fact Andersen was working with him.

I think that might be one of the reasons why they didn't want to give him the backing and said he'd have to pay for them.

it was mentioned quite a few times last season by Tatum I think that Gerhard wanted him to try them in the GP but he'd always ride his GM but would switch to the GTR for a final race which would usually do better.

He certainly seemed to get to the first corner a little bit quicker than usual, when he used it in SWC it seemed to hook up and drive better into the 1st corner. However he seemed to struggle slightly with speed later in the race. Possibly down to the way he corners or lines he was taking. if it did require him to "race" differently then perhaps its a bit too late in his career for him to change.

He certainly seemed to get to the first corner a little bit quicker than usual, when he used it in SWC it seemed to hook up and drive better into the 1st corner. However he seemed to struggle slightly with speed later in the race. Possibly down to the way he corners or lines he was taking. if it did require him to "race" differently then perhaps its a bit too late in his career for him to change.

Lindgren said one of the reasons he uses the Gerhard is that it suits his style of riding. Perhaps the same, for whatever reason, simply doesn't apply to Harris.

In passing, riders appear to have a shorthand language of their own when describing engine characteristics. Some years back Peter Karlsson tested a new engine after a Monmore match and returned to the pits to tell Graham Jones: "It's OK out of the start, but it's a bit neeeyaaaaoooow (makes aeroplane take-off and banking gesture) in the first corner." By no means the least weird aspect of the affair was that Jonah immediately knew what he meant.

• Like 1

Lindgren said one of the reasons he uses the Gerhard is that it suits his style of riding. Perhaps the same, for whatever reason, simply doesn't apply to Harris.

In passing, riders appear to have a shorthand language of their own when describing engine characteristics. Some years back Peter Karlsson tested a new engine after a Monmore match and returned to the pits to tell Graham Jones: "It's OK out of the start, but it's a bit neeeyaaaaoooow (makes aeroplane take-off and banking gesture) in the first corner." By no means the least weird aspect of the affair was that Jonah immediately knew what he meant.

Sounds like you need work on your Swedish Black Country :)

• Like 2

When Harris was using them it seemed to me the first half of a heat he was quick but was a bit slower in the 2nd half. Seemed to gate better when using them though which is Bombers biggest problem on the world stage