British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hamish McRaker

If The Elite League Goes Down To 7 Teams In Mid Season, Would It Be Able To Carry On Running?

Of course there has to be a link if you are dealing with a professional sport and news releases.

Otherwise the life outside the sport you allude to involves gossip and hearsay which without an official announcement is just that.

So in other words what the person standing next to you on the terraces says suddenly becomes fact in both you're eyes then?

Surely if Sky Sports or the BSPA had made such an effort to get Tai racing in the EL then they would have made a bigger deal of it???

So speculation until proven.

Ask Phil Rising or Flagrag about it and you may get an answer or link to sky & the bspa offering tai a mega deal to tempt him to ride here so he could promote the sport as a British world champion but he wasn't interested.

Do you really want a season of seven home matches plus maybe one or two in the playoffs?

The crowd levels over there have nothing to do with single nights. Swedish crowds my be large by British standards but only tend to be 2-4,000. Poland has a very long history of large crowds, going back way into the communist era. Most towns staging speedway in both countries do tend to benefit from being in relatively small places where seven big events a year are probably rather significant.

Did anyone see the photos on FB earlier with Nicki P and his brolly, absolutely lobbing it down, pits, track flooded, still lobbing it down, but blue sky in horizon, he said ******** are fixing the track shortly.. Well firstly, I think it was in Sweden, were these photos of the here and now? And did they then race? If they did, then why, why, do the buggers fein and go all "it's too wet" to race over here?? (NP) obviously doesn't race here, but I bet one or two of the other 13 do...!!!!

• Like 1

Ask Phil Rising or Flagrag about it and you may get an answer or link to sky & the bspa offering tai a mega deal to tempt him to ride here so he could promote the sport as a British world champion but he wasn't interested.

Don't need to ask , if there had been any truth in it it would have made a story.

I'm sure if it has any truth in it one of them will confirm your 'story'.

Don't need to ask , if there had been any truth in it it would have made a story.

I'm sure if it has any truth in it one of them will confirm your 'story'.

I saw the postings on this subject, written indeed by flagrag, I thinks it's in the "should Tai ride for team GB" thread, just confirming it did/does exist... If I remember it was a joint deal with Sky/BSPA + he chose which EL club to ride for, and he would also receive the clubs deal as well as the Sky/BSPA package....

I saw the postings on this subject, written indeed by flagrag, I thinks it's in the "should Tai ride for team GB" thread, just confirming it did/does exist... If I remember it was a joint deal with Sky/BSPA + he chose which EL club to ride for, and he would also receive the clubs deal as well as the Sky/BSPA package....

Not something I've seen personally.

No doubt if it proved true the relevant people will update info.

Yes that's right SS and I think Phil Rising mentioned it too.

Whatever I say stevebrum will disagree and then his mates will back him up.

Tai Was offered an amazing deal Fact.

Yes that's right SS and I think Phil Rising mentioned it too.

Whatever I say stevebrum will disagree and then his mates will back him up.

Tai Was offered an amazing deal Fact.

Stop being so paranoid. YOU didn't claim you said it did you?? You said that others had mentioned it.

I don't need any backing up.

I asked a simple question if their was a link to the supposed 'deal'.

I've already said Im sure the relevant people will confirm said story if correct.

Stop making it all about you for a change.

Perhaps you should attend the BSPA meeting in November.

THEY wouldn't ;let me in!

Any sport needs 3 things to be successful

1. A good TV deal,that increases at every renewal

2 Extensive sponsorship

3 Healthy attendances of mostly full paying adults

Naught out of three for speedway at present

THINK British speedway is lucky to have the TV deal it has. Plenty of other minority sports, and that is what speedway is this country is sadly, would love to have the money Sky hand over.

I have no idea whether Tai was offered any inducement by Sky or the BSPA as World Champion to race here. However, I can recall that years ago, certainly in the Ivan Mauger era, the World Champion was paid an additional fee, think it was £500, when he appeared at a British track. That added up to a tidy sum in those days.

Of course there has to be a link if you are dealing with a professional sport and news releases.

Otherwise the life outside the sport you allude to involves gossip and hearsay which without an official announcement is just that.

So in other words what the person standing next to you on the terraces says suddenly becomes fact in both you're eyes then?

Surely if Sky Sports or the BSPA had made such an effort to get Tai racing in the EL then they would have made a bigger deal of it???

So speculation until proven.

It's incredibly naïve to disregard something just because there's no reference to it on the internet, and equally naïve to believe it just because there is. There doesn't have to be a link to everything that's true, neither does the absence of a link mean something is untrue. There is life outside the internet; it would do us all good to get off the computer/phone/tablet for a while and enjoy it. (It's "your", not "you're" btw)
  • Like 1

It's incredibly naïve to disregard something just because there's no reference to it on the internet, and equally naïve to believe it just because there is. There doesn't have to be a link to everything that's true, neither does the absence of a link mean something is untrue. There is life outside the internet; it would do us all good to get off the computer/phone/tablet for a while and enjoy it. (It's "your", not "you're" btw)

Thanks for the advice, however I am off the Internet on a regular basis coaching kids 3 times a week, taking part in competitions most weekends and also having a go at sliding my own bike as often as I can.

Some who live a life on the Internet maybe indeed extremely naive, and have nothing better to do than correct others spelling mistakes.

Now firstly i will get the apology out of the way, sorry for mentioning W******ns name again but all this talk of Sky/BSPA offering some sort of deal to him to help promote the sport over here is all well and good but EL tracks generally are not very proactive anyway promoting there product so even if W******n was say for example riding for Wolves at Swindon next week just how many extra would that put through the gate? It's not as if he was really that brilliant anywhere over here anyway what would the plan be to do an Egon muller and do a song and dance routine at the interval?

Plus it went with the blessing of CVS that he could ride at another team of Woffys choice Edited by dornier
  • Like 1

Plus it went with the blessing of CVS that he could ride at another team of Woffys choice

As stevebrum says it was just a post by a forum poster...doesn't mean it actually took place. I, like you, could post all sorts of 'stories' on here but it doesn't mean they're all true.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not having a pop at you Flagrag, just making a point :t:

p.s. I'm beginning to think that robert72 has a bit of a man crush on Tai, your obsessed fella! :rofl:

• Like 1

As stevebrum says it was just a post by a forum poster...doesn't mean it actually took place. I, like you, could post all sorts of 'stories' on here but it doesn't mean they're all true.

p.s. I'm beginning to think that robert72 has a bit of a man crush on Tai, your obsessed fella! :rofl:

I'm sure some posters on here are in the know and are likely to be a more credible source of information.

I'm taking nothing away from that.

However a post on a forum for thoughts and gossip is hardly the place to post IMHO.

I'd be more inclined to believe an official release of information personally.

Let's face it there are a few 'in the know ' that could step in to confirm any stories right here right now.

Why would Flagrag make a story up like that, to me it sounds highly likely it happened.
  • Like 1