British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Domestic Team Speedway On The Box, Supporters Stay At Home?

It's down to how the fans have been treated in the past for TV meetings.

Crowds were good when live speedway on the TV first came along but the trust from the fans of both the TV companies and Promoters has been lost.

No end of meetings when the weather has been iffy TV & clubs have conned supporters into conditions being perfect for racing. You turn up and track work is going on, rider's not interested & the meeting goes ahead with the aim of reaching the cut-off to declare a result. The fans & entertainment value is never thought about.

Normally King's Lynn matches on Sky are pretty well supported but this week it had pretty much rained all day so I'm sure many like me would be thinking 'this is going to be a race to heat 10 & I'm not spending £17 for that'.

What's the excuse when the weather is perfect ?

What's the excuse when the weather is perfect ?

Because when people have paid out for Sky they seem to be reluctant to pay again to watch the match when they can save £17/£18, plus petrol money and programme (if they buy one) by sitting at home in comfort.

• Like 1

I always try to attend when we are on Sky but I have to admit there has been the odd occasion where it gets nearer start time and I think sod it I will watch on Sky. Its mainly when there has been poor weather around!

Because when people have paid out for Sky they seem to be reluctant to pay again to watch the match when they can save £17/£18, plus petrol money and programme (if they buy one) by sitting at home in comfort.

With so few EL home matches, no way would I miss a live one, it's always good to watch the coverage back after though 😊 Got to admit to not liking the strictness of the TV coverage and the way it intervenes with a meeting though ....

Tv matches are fitted around advertising , 4 races massive gap . the people at home either listen to pearson and tatum to fill the gaps or go out and make tea .mow the lawn , while those at the stadium are left waiting for the next set of 4 races to be rushed through ,

• Like 1

Tv matches are fitted around advertising , 4 races massive gap . the people at home either listen to pearson and tatum to fill the gaps or go out and make tea .mow the lawn , while those at the stadium are left waiting for the next set of 4 races to be rushed through ,

I think this argument is more in the head than anything....Sky meetings finish at 9:30pm.....I've been to a fair few 7:30pm starts that have taken longer to run when not on Sky.

• Like 2

By the way I was just giving a reason why people stay at home from talking to fans that do. I don't have Sky myself so it doesn't affect me but if I did I would still go to the match and then watch it back later to see all the things I'd missed.

The reason this effects speedway so much is season tickets or the lack of them sold at speedway. If you have a season ticket say in rugby,cricket ,football etc you will still go to a TV match because you have already paid upfront. Season tickets dominate modern sport but not speedway, maybe a more attractive season ticket would encourage more fans to attend every match TV or not.

And what should happen is entertainment to fill those big gaps. Live music or something else. If you make the whole package good quality and value for money, people won't stay home to watch on TV. If you don't, they will stay home.

That's why the gp gets a good crowd despite being on TV.

• Like 2

And what should happen is entertainment to fill those big gaps. Live music or something else. If you make the whole package good quality and value for money, people won't stay home to watch on TV. If you don't, they will stay home.

That's why the gp gets a good crowd despite being on TV.

Yes they would just to save the money, charging less helps but even then those who travel quite a way still don't bother.

Whilst the advert breaks are happening of course there ought to be interviews etc as there are on non Sky nights ...

We all know why season tickets aren't cheaper, because the promoters can't afford it, if we were getting capacity crowds then of course it would be different 😕

I disagree. Sure maybe if the weather is bad cadual fans may stay away But mist sports are televised live, if you make the match day experience worth attending people will want to be there in person. With speedway,unlike other sports, you generally get a much better view of the whole race being there live, and of course the noise and the smell.

Season tickets aren't cheaper because the people who buy season tickets are the hard core who will be there every week anyway.

Its an easy one to answer .most matches are not on a team normal race night .its been one of skys biggest mistakes since they started to cover speedway

Yes they would just to save the money, charging less helps but even then those who travel quite a way still don't bother.

Whilst the advert breaks are happening of course there ought to be interviews etc as there are on non Sky nights ...

We all know why season tickets aren't cheaper, because the promoters can't afford it, if we were getting capacity crowds then of course it would be different

if they erected big screens .so that the people in the stadium could see what the people at home are seeing .maybe a few more would attend , watching on tv you see the interviews .and more importantly replays of incidents ,passes and bad refereeing decisions . IMHO to add a little extra spice to TV meetings Margaret Vardy or Barbara Horley should always be the TV refs . their decisions add comedy value as well . and armchair fans can relate to them because they make the rules up as they go along . there is a third woman ref who is comedy gold as well but cant think of her name ATM

Dave Watters wasn't doing too bad at taking over top spot from them at Coventry on Sunday. :P

Its an easy one to answer .most matches are not on a team normal race night .its been one of skys biggest mistakes since they started to cover speedway

Wolverhampton are always on the TV on a Monday,are regular race night and it still affects are crowd significantly