British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NickRushbrook

Lakeside 2017

Having had 24 hours to digest this news, I can see the POTENTIAL positives of this move.

IF we can run PL, we could still maybe track the likes of Lewis Bridger, Richard Lawson and Adam Ellis so we can retain a bit of identity. We still have the academy going as well so perhaps we could see a graduate or two in the next three years.

We could create something very special if we play this right.

I'm just a little concerned that this news is the first step of a gentle let down as we see the fold completely.

For me, PL = new start and NL = beginning of the end.

• Like 1

Having had 24 hours to digest this news, I can see the POTENTIAL positives of this move.

IF we can run PL, we could still maybe track the likes of Lewis Bridger, Richard Lawson and Adam Ellis so we can retain a bit of identity. We still have the academy going as well so perhaps we could see a graduate or two in the next three years.

We could create something very special if we play this right.

I'm just a little concerned that this news is the first step of a gentle let down as we see the fold completely.

For me, PL = new start and NL = beginning of the end.

A lot of wishful there. Lawson is very well paid by another PL club, Bridger and Ellis don't currently ride PL and it's more likely that Lakeside will go NL.

A lot of wishful there. Lawson is very well paid by another PL club, Bridger and Ellis don't currently ride PL and it's more likely that Lakeside will go NL.

From your earlier posts, I would suggest that it is you that is 'wishful' in regards to wanting to see Lakeside slide into oblivion.

Of course, I'm going to wishful/hopeful. It's all we have right now.

Imbeciles like yourself just seem to enjoy sticking the boot in. Easy on a keyboard though eh?

Was worried that there would be to many meetings to run in PL

but it looks like its only a few extra with the cups so should be ok

if things work out as planned I agree could be something special

at the end. 3 years PL or NL bringing through young british riders

then hopefully our own track back in top flight and with a team of brits

as john has said many times that's their ultimate goal.

fingers crossed. COME ON YOU HAMMERS.

Wouldn't Lakeside need to declare their intention to run PL at the start of the AGM?

Wouldn't Lakeside need to declare their intention to run PL at the start of the AGM?

That confused me also. This AGM is for the EL and PL, the NL have their own AGM at a later date.

So if Lakeside can't declare to run EL by the start of this AGM, then surely they can't declare to run PL yet either?

From your earlier posts, I would suggest that it is you that is 'wishful' in regards to wanting to see Lakeside slide into oblivion.

Of course, I'm going to wishful/hopeful. It's all we have right now.

Imbeciles like yourself just seem to enjoy sticking the boot in. Easy on a keyboard though eh?

I don't resort to rudeness! I make no secret of my dislike for the track, I do however wish the club well.

I don't resort to rudeness! I make no secret of my dislike for the track, I do however wish the club well.

Yes, take the moral high ground now if it gives you comfort.

If you truly wish the club well, perhaps you could refrain from any and all derogatory comments during our darkest hour.

Yes, take the moral high ground now if it gives you comfort.

If you truly wish the club well, perhaps you could refrain from any and all derogatory comments during our darkest hour.

I'll post how I see fit.

• Like 2

As a long-time Birmingham supporter I would urge Lakeside fans not to dismiss the National League as an inferior product. My club was brought back from the brink of extinction through taking the seemingly risky step of dropping down two divisions, but it has been our salvation and has enabled the club to reconstruct itself from the ashes of the former promotion which left it financially destitute.

The National League has provided us with racing at least as entertaining as it was in our Elite League days. Crowds have improved from our time in the top league (although they have dipped a little this year, and we would all like to seem them better) but the important thing is that the National League is financially viable and much more affordable for all parties, and will provide Lakeside with a platform for them to eventually expand again.

Good luck to Lakeside and their fans in whatever they decide to do.

• Like 2

Bridger has announced that he wants to ride PL next season as well as EL

• Like 1

As a long-time Birmingham supporter I would urge Lakeside fans not to dismiss the National League as an inferior product. My club was brought back from the brink of extinction through taking the seemingly risky step of dropping down two divisions, but it has been our salvation and has enabled the club to reconstruct itself from the ashes of the former promotion which left it financially destitute.

The National League has provided us with racing at least as entertaining as it was in our Elite League days. Crowds have improved from our time in the top league (although they have dipped a little this year, and we would all like to seem them better) but the important thing is that the National League is financially viable and much more affordable for all parties, and will provide Lakeside with a platform for them to eventually expand again.

Good luck to Lakeside and their fans in whatever they decide to do.

As a long-term Eastbourne fan, I ditto this. I remember a couple of years back someone asking me what I thought of the possibility of Eastbourne going to the National League and my answer was, I will spend more time going to race meetings at Brands Hatch and maybe the odd Elite League meeting at Lakeside, its Elite League or nothing for me.

Well I gave NL a try in 2015 and ended up going to all home meetings (I always do anyway) but more Away meetings than ever before. I loved it from the off! National League is a very good product and highly entertaining. Would I have NL if it was my choice? no. But is it worth going to? 100% yes!

I hope whatever happens is good for Lakeside and personally I hope the go NL some we can have the local Derby back.

• Like 4

Well, that would make the Premier League the top league, in effect the new Elite League!!!!

We need the UK to have an Elite League, it's needed to develop premier league riders for GP rides/places, is a natural step on the route to the top, take it away, and speedway as a professional sport dies....

I don't think speedway in this country would die without an Elite League. But the Elite League will die if it continues in it's current format. It's been dying a slow death since the Grand Prix series was introduced.

Most of the top stars have departed, those that remain are too few in numbers and not spread equally among the EL clubs. We also have clubs not able to run at weekends because those riders are absent or running without them which results in the frequent use of guests and r/r.

Throw in the total lack of consistency in the fixture list, some teams going weeks and weeks without fixtures and then running multiple fuxtures in short periods and it's no wonder so many clubs are struggling. And why? To accompdate half a dozen GP riders?

There are perhaps 2 or 3 EL clubs and maybe a couple in the PL who have wealthy backers or sponsors who will no doubt push for higher points limits and the retention of the current system but there are many more clubs at both levels who are hemorrhaging cash and living way beyond their means trying to keep up. The current model is broken and has been for many years. Clubs should be budgeting on worse case scenarios in terms of crowd levels and only spending what they can afford. If that means two leagues at PL and NL standard then so be it.

• Like 3