British Speedway Forum
Skid Sprocket

And The Good News Is,

I didn't think you needed to be prompted, you post links on every thread you're on.

I LIKE to Post Links IF they reflect an opinion I share. That's far more honest than reading one then posting up what it says as one's own opinion! :approve:

He only put the post on the other thread to balance out his first errors. Why would he want to put the link on this thread anyway. Bloody attention seeker and antagonistic old man.

Thank you for those kind words. I hope they reflect the continuation of your goodwill spirit for the year ahead! :approve:

Edited by Guest

To try and bring this topic back to life and pull us out of the doom and gloom I have copied this from the topic "When Did UK Speedway Decline Start". I hope thats ok with Lucifer Sam. Its easy to find the bad news and moan about it so lets dig deep and find some uplifting stories.

Posted Today, 12:34 PM by Lucifer Sam

It's worth pointing out there hasn't been a constant decline since 1930, as some seem to be suggesting. The sport was much healthier in the mid 70s than the mid 50s.

In fact, there's never been as few teams as there were in 1958. Even the SAL didn't run that year. So there were just 10 league teams that year. For some reason, they needed much bigger crowds to be able to operate back then (maybe admission prices were incredibly cheap in comparison), but as you can see, speedway is in a healthier state in 2017 than it was in 1958.

All the best

Rob

Edited by Skid Sprocket

Steve Evans is putting forth a Yeoman's effort to take Speedway in the U.S.A. to the next level. He's not alone, there are others, obviously, helping . . . but, Steve seems to have lit a spark, via social media, spreading 'The Good Word' of Speedway. It's all baby-steps at this point . . . but, the effort, the drive & the enthusiasm is obvious and exactly what the sport needs over here.

Admittedly, it's a relatively small sport - in a literally small physical area - within a physically gigantic nation. So, it's sometimes difficult to see the progress . . . but, progress IS there.

No where NEAR what you folks enjoy in G.B. / Europe . . . but, at least it's not gone completely.

In my mind, that is GOOD NEWS. :)

Flattrack racing (the sport in which I'm involved) is enjoying a bit of a resurgence right now. It's still nowhere near other 'main stream' stick and ball sports (American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, etc.) or even Supercross; however, the crowds at some of the Nationals (Springfield Mile, for example) are downright huge! And now, a bit of revitalized Factory involvement with Indian, Harley, Yamaha, etc. is bringing with it some much needed media coverage. And, while all of this is happening, Speedway can (and, to a certain extent, is) being swept right along with this renewed enthusiasm.

I tend to be a cautious optimist . . . but, even I'm feeling downright giddy over here in The States.

HB

Edited by Haybails
  • Like 1