British Speedway Forum
THE DEAN MACHINE

Pro Athletes V Speedway Riders V I Am Getting Old

If many riders now feel keeping fit and eating right helps them be better riders then so be it, who are we to question them?

Of course they also need to give thought to the sport and what they can give to it to entice fans to watch them. I do wonder if they ever think like this or simply how they can maximise their earning potential from the sport full stop?

on the whole modern riders do care about the sport and it's fans but there is a definite change in attitudes in riders of today , have a conversation with a rider from the 70s 80s or even the 90s and you can feel their passion of being a rider and the sport ,you don't get that passion very much today , I read one rider who said he preferred another sport but he gets paid to do speedway so speedway it is , but I have met a couple who couldn't care less , it's just about the money for them

And I know riders from the 80's, (one of them an England captain) who said exactly the same.