British Speedway Forum
Skid Sprocket

Reg Smythe Cartoons In Monthly Speedway World.

Some 7 years before Reg Smythe created Andy Capp he created a cartoon speedway character called Skid Sprocket.

These cartoons were published in Monthly Speedway World, the first issue was June 1949, but I'm not sure if Skid was featured in the very first copy, I have no. 11 dated April 1950 and he looks to be well established by then.

I have been asked by a local museum to loan them any materiel that I have on Reg Smythe'e pre Andy Capp days and so i would like to appeal to anyone who has any info on this dated magazine to please get in touch (or any dated in the 1950's.

I have now obtained a copy of Monthly Speedway World, issue no. 3 dated August 1949, and Skid is featured in it. Does anyone have no. 1 June 1949 I would like to buy it if available or even a photo copy (at my expence).

Copies of the cartoon booklet Smythe's Speedway World is all but sold out but I am thinking about a reprint especially if there is interest from the museum display. Would anyone be interested in a copy with all income going to the Ben fund?

Moving on from the Reg Smythe cartoons re Skid Sprocket cartoons in the 'Monthly Speedway World' I have an idea Skid Sprocket cartoons may also have been published in the weekly 'Speedway World' in the same years.

Moving on from the Reg Smythe cartoons re Skid Sprocket cartoons in the 'Monthly Speedway World' I have an idea Skid Sprocket cartoons may also have been published in the weekly 'Speedway World' in the same years.

I think you are right. I know that edition no.1 of the Monthly Speedway World was issued in June 1949 (of which I would like a copy or even a photocopy?) but when did the weekly Speedway World start and were Reg Smythe's cartoons in that 1st edition?

I think you are right. I know that edition no.1 of the Monthly Speedway World was issued in June 1949 (of which I would like a copy or even a photocopy?) but when did the weekly Speedway World start and were Reg Smythe's cartoons in that 1st edition?

The weekly SPEEDWAY WORLD was first published in 1937 and continued until the outbreak of WW2 in September 1939. It resumed publication in 1947 and continued until the early 1960s, in its latter years also covering stock car racing. I cannot tell you anymore about the Skid Sprocket cartoons in the magazine over than what I mentioned in a previous message.