British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest GiveusaB

Worth The Entrance Fee?

Robert Lambert is the rider who is worth the entrance money at KL. And his is no slouch at "having a go" anywhere else either!

I quite agree, it cost £17 pounds to watch kl last year and there wasn't a meeting that went by when Robert wasn't worth the admission money on his own.
  • Like 2

I quite agree, it cost £17 pounds to watch kl last year and there wasn't a meeting that went by when Robert wasn't worth the admission money on his own.

I love it that he's not always first out of the gate, it'll spoil the racing when he masters gating lol
  • Like 1

To me, its more a question of whether the racing is worth the money, not the riders. Even if the riders are brilliant if the racing is rubbish its not worth a light.

As to whether the racing is worth the money, that depends where you go.

I'd say if you want value try Scunthorpe, Belle Vue, Isle Of Wight, Lakeside, Poole, Cradley & Workington for starters.

Cradley!!!! Did you mean Peterborough?

To me, its more a question of whether the racing is worth the money, not the riders. Even if the riders are brilliant if the racing is rubbish its not worth a light.

As to whether the racing is worth the money, that depends where you go.

I'd say if you want value try Scunthorpe, Belle Vue, Isle Of Wight, Lakeside, Poole, Cradley & Workington for starters.

I must have picked the wrong night at the Wight. Didn't see one pass all evening. Will give it another go this season. Coventry was a good racers track.

Is £13 worth it for Brummies fans watching 3rd tier speedway when Bees fans could be watching Premiership riders for £12.50 if they take up the season ticket offer?

Slightly ironic post now, but if you asked any Brummie fan last year the answer would be 'Yes'. Winning team with 7 riders trying their hearts out, both the Jack's were brilliant to watch when I saw them. This is coming from an Eastie fan by the way , not a die hard Brummie!

Cradley!!!! Did you mean Peterborough?

He might have meant Cradley actually as they are still riding ~ not on their own track admittedly but they are still an active team.

Are Jason Doyle and Chris Holder (when he can be bothered) the only 2 riders worth the entrance fee this season? No disrespect intended to anybody else, but who really is worth watching this season?

As a neutral to the Prem League, there's no BIG draws imo ?

Christ man, give other riders some credit, u may be surprised

not really but we persevere because we love it!

pl 15

cl 12

nl 8

all with a program! and tbh that would still be too much!

dont compare it to other sports because it isn't football! the prices for that sport are ridiculous at times but the teams that pack their stadiums i suppose can justify it!

our stadiums don't sell out!

prices should have probably have dropped this winter but that was never likely to happen! saying that! if 2 adults to go to speedway costs less than 30 pounds then it makes it a lot more attractive and people would probably cherry pick their fixtures much less than if its over! i honestly feel 15 and kids going free would be a good move!

Are Jason Doyle and Chris Holder (when he can be bothered) the only 2 riders worth the entrance fee this season? No disrespect intended to anybody else, but who really is worth watching this season?

As a neutral to the Prem League, there's no BIG draws imo ?

BIG NAMES - Yes Britain has lost the big names in the sport for many reasons like not moving with the times, no fixed race nights, no investment (inside and out) and the list can go on. We are left with Doyle and Holder you say, well I think Andersen, Kasprzak, Lindgren and a few others are top riders but apart from Lindgren, they don't have the GP's which is the future for riders of that standard.

Why have Doyle and Holder stayed here ? Could it be they have a base here and to stay there they need a visa so must ride in Britain. Maybe that's all that's keeping those two here as they have had Britain as their main home for the last decade or so. You can't blame them and if they want to rush around different tracks on different race nights then fair play to them but Britain should have made the call for them and not allowed any rider in with an EL average above eight this season.

The Championship shouldn't have riders over a six but can understand they want to race more meetings and to do so they have to race in both leagues but this should have been done in a way to ensure British riders on now high averages like Harris, Kennett, Nicholls, Worrall etc were sorted first.

This however wouldn't have been a problem if they had set averages to Elite League levels and done one big league giving a good set of fixtures, more variety, regular team members and no double sets of averages which will be the case come mid season again. A decent standard large league that develops British riders and done for £15 would be a product that could be sold better that what we have now and makes no speedway followers baffled at how things work in the sport.

So is it value for money, at present I would say no but had there have been a more stable list of riders and no star names then it could be but it missed the boat again and the changes made with good intentions are about to be exposed as another fine mess you have got into

• Like 2

For me you get better racing from riders and teams that are evenly matched.

Yes I love to see the top riders out on track doing there stuff, but give me 4 evenly matched riders in a heat from any league and you always seem to get a good race.

Absolutely agree

Went to Hull KR v Sheffield Sunday, & it was £26 for adults, & £20 for concessions. Far too much for 2nd tier rugby in my opinion. Still got over 7000 fans through the gate. Give me speedway any day of the week against that.

• Like 1

If you are passionate about a sport its near top of your priorities so you budget accordingly. I have had a 5 min look on what's local to Coventry and what an evening out costs. I have done this on Adult prices as I don't have time at the moment to go through Kids/Concessions etc.

Belgrade £26.50 (That's an evening with Jasper Carrot :lol: .. surly they pay you)

Wasps £31.00

Cov City £26

Bees £18

Blaze £17

Cinema £10.50

Bowling £7.55 (1 game never enough)

Ice Skating £9.70

Speedway

15 Heats

60 Laps

30p per lap

In my opinion speedway isn't massively over priced at all. The raw product is great, the presentation could do with a massive update. We had that with Chris Simpson at Coventry until Horton fell out with him.. :o

• Like 2

Who and what actually classifies as a 'big name' rider? Looking back at the 80's you had a lot more regular World Finalists in British Speedway but then again if the SGP wasn't so difficult to get into then a few more riders might have enjoyed a great year and made it to the 'big one' at the end of it. Does that then classify them as a big name if they have ridden in a World Final? Modern riders hardly get the same chance now especially when something like 11 riders out of 16 i think used to qualify from the ICF to the World Final each year.

When does a 'lesser' rider become a bigger name? What does he have to do? Is it because riders are starting in the NL/CL and we still think of them as that level despite their progression into higher leagues? For me, two such riders will be coming to the tapes for the Rebels this year in the shape of Paul Starke and Charles Wright. If any one has seen either or both of those two in full flow at the Oak Tree then they will know they look superb and in total control of their machines and able to squeeze through gaps only they can see. For me seeing that is worth the admission money and makes no difference that they aren't big name riders as such. The chances of either making the GP series now are slim with no disrespect meant to either of them.

Going back to the 80's people remember riders the Carr brothers, the Owen brothers, Neil and Phil Collins to name a few who all feature in excellent races you can find on You Tube. They weren't 'world class' at the time (regular world finalists) but all entertained the paying public royally and are remembered fondly. Is this how we will remember the riders of today in 20/30 years? I hope so rather than just saying we had no big names in the sport in 2017. It is time for us to accept the rider progression/ changing of the guard whatever you want to call it and embrace the current day fare? If we don't they won't even remember what the sport is in 30 years time let alone talk about the riders!

Who and what actually classifies as a 'big name' rider? Looking back at the 80's you had a lot more regular World Finalists in British Speedway but then again if the SGP wasn't so difficult to get into then a few more riders might have enjoyed a great year and made it to the 'big one' at the end of it. Does that then classify them as a big name if they have ridden in a World Final? Modern riders hardly get the same chance now especially when something like 11 riders out of 16 i think used to qualify from the ICF to the World Final each year.

When does a 'lesser' rider become a bigger name? What does he have to do? Is it because riders are starting in the NL/CL and we still think of them as that level despite their progression into higher leagues? For me, two such riders will be coming to the tapes for the Rebels this year in the shape of Paul Starke and Charles Wright. If any one has seen either or both of those two in full flow at the Oak Tree then they will know they look superb and in total control of their machines and able to squeeze through gaps only they can see. For me seeing that is worth the admission money and makes no difference that they aren't big name riders as such. The chances of either making the GP series now are slim with no disrespect meant to either of them.

Going back to the 80's people remember riders the Carr brothers, the Owen brothers, Neil and Phil Collins to name a few who all feature in excellent races you can find on You Tube. They weren't 'world class' at the time (regular world finalists) but all entertained the paying public royally and are remembered fondly. Is this how we will remember the riders of today in 20/30 years? I hope so rather than just saying we had no big names in the sport in 2017. It is time for us to accept the rider progression/ changing of the guard whatever you want to call it and embrace the current day fare? If we don't they won't even remember what the sport is in 30 years time let alone talk about the riders!

I expect the GP's will still be around.. You don't need top class riders to produce top class racing. We held the new yeaw classic a few years ago at Poole, and all we had was a graded track, nothing else because it was all frozen.

We had riders with simular abillities and averages across the board and it was a superb meeting.

• Like 1